World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new here and also new to beach casting, I've tryed it a few years ago and more recently at the end of Trunch Lane at chaple, fished with squid, had just the 1 smooth hound 3 years ago the first time I went but blanked a month ago fishing squid and the black worms (not sure of the name). I'm going back 1st Sept! Any tips or advice for baits, locations recently fished well, anything I need to know please as I'm wanting to get into this sport and enjoy it for what it is. I've carp fished for years and want a mix up and learn new styles of fishing. Thankyou for taking your time to read my post and tight lines 🐟🐟

· Registered
270 Posts
Good beaches from Sutton down to Skeg, lots of choice. If you are learning, try to get to the beach early and look for features like gulleys or large tidal pools and fish into those. By September it will be mainly small fish and mostly those will be dabs, flounders and possibly/probably whiting. To catch those use lugworm on a two or three hook flapper rig and cast to various distances (ideally one rod long. one shorter) and fish up the tide say three before high and one down again. You can get fresh lugworm at Trunch Lane or frozen from Dudley (bungalow) Chapel Point. If it's Dud's frozen black use pieces. Get three baits out of one. You can also try mackerel or bluey strips and maybe squid with lug. Use reasonable sized hooks sizes 2 to 1/0 (not 2/0 and larger). (I sometimes use size 6 hooks). Work out which way the current is pulling and cast up unto it. Use the lightest lead that will hold, usually with break out wires. Don't expect codling unless you're very lucky, but you could put out a bigger bait, bigger hook just in case. September fishing can be good or it may still be summer doldrums, but it usually switches on by October. On that coast, apart from spring/summer rays and smoothounds, anything over 12oz is a good fish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.