World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well hello again folks, yet another question on our behalf reguarding our Mariner 9.9 outboard. Within the engine housing were a pair of green wires which appear to be connected to the top of the engine(excuse laymans terms), would we be correct in thinking this is the charging circuit from the magnito? It`s got a pull start on the engine so we are kind of guessing it`s not electric start as well, also the only other wiring withing the housing is for a remote stop button. If these wires are what we expect they are, can anyone tell us what voltage/current you would expect from the engine to the charge circuit with the engine running?, I put a multimetre across the wires earlier (with no battery connected) and there was something there, but not like 12 volts or anything. (PS what makes this question further embarrising is I am an electrician by trade..........but unfortunately know sod all about dc systems)

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Should read 13.2-13.6 volts. If these engines with a charging circuit are run for a while without a battery connected it can sometimes damage the rectifying circuit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks once again Chris, when we bought the boat and outboard there were no connections from this pair of wires so I should imagine it`s never been connected up, therefore buggered. Any idea where we can obtain spares for a mariner 9.9 the serial number is 682 cl 324429 .I can`t seem to find such a number on the net?

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Your engine is a 1981 9.9ML, serial no 682-324341 to 682-333180 refer to this model and year. Any mariner dealers will check it out for you and be able to supply the parts.

Just a thought but why do you want the charging circuit? The engine I am guessing is not electric start ( but was available with eclectric start as an option ) If I am right you are not taking mutch out of you battery on each trip on the usual fishfinder and Gps with a VHF on receive. I would fit quick connect battery terminals and buy a cheap trickle charger, that is all you would need to top the batery off over night to replace what was used during the day. Not as convenient I know but would save you a couple of hundred .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts