World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday, I had the good fortune (and as it happened misfortune) to join a group of anglers, on a charter out of Weymouth. I had been out with most of these guys before and although they were a mix of experienced/keen anglers, they are generally a good bunch. There was however one rogue element and although I'm not usually backward in coming forward, I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and kept me gob shut, for the most part. In a nutshell, this idiot managed the following:

1) Fished mono when everyone else on board was fishing braid

2) Took absolutely no notice of the skipper's recommendations as far as sinker weight was concerned, when wrecking

3) Left the net in among the sandeels in the livebait well

4) Washed his hands in the livebait well

5) While drifiting over banks, where everyone else was using 8 oz on a running ledger, insisted on fishing a string of macky feathers on 2 oz sinker.

6) Nicked 50% of the ice I managed to blag from another boat

7) Filled a bag with approximately 50% of the fish caught that day, even though to the best of my knowledge he caught only 3 fish all day

8) Left his rod, tackled up with macky feathers, so that when it was passed up to me on the quayside, I managed to spear my hand

9) Moaned in the pub about the lack of fish caught (he seems to directly relate the cost of a charter to the amount of fish caught). 10 anglers caught over 50 pollack in less than two hours in the morning, the general concensus was we'd caught enough and wanted to try something different for the afternoon.

The guy who organised the trip is a friend of this idiot but even he was getting frustrated with him, to the point where he fished from the bow in order to avoid him. The fool cost me 4 fish by getting tangled in my gear and once cut my gear, so he could continue fishing.

In an effort to avoid any confrontation, I kept my gob shut and other than making this fool walk the plank, do any of you guys have any suggestions as to how to handle a similar situation in the future?

I can't say that he ruined the day but he did take the shine off it a bit. The rest of the lads are fine and I'm reluctant to refuse to go with them again just because of one barmpot who refuses to listen or use any common sense.

Any suggestions guys?

G

·
1) If necessary have a written agreement that you will all abide by the skippers recommendations or a general consensus between you
2) Take a number of different coloured cable ties or tags and each angler only keeps their own fish
3) Insist that Mono users keep to the stern or downtide side of the boat
4) If one angler causes most of the tangles his line should be the one that gets cut if necessary
5) If you regularly fish with the same group then draw up a list of rules between you that you will all keep to or be expelled from the group

No doubt there will be other suggestions but these should be a good start!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Was you fishing on ME with slim?

I would definitely speak to the organiser and the skipper together!

They are responsible for the anglers and the boat!:g:

If I was decky for that day I would have had a word in his shell like! about his choice of gear!:secret:

As for washing hands in live bait tank! :g:
That's a big no! no! he would have had one warning! :uhuh:
If he continued, he wouldnt have got anymore eels and would have to pay for the lot as he would have probably killed the lot!:uhuh:

Find yourself club to join or speak to the organiser and explain that you are happy fishing with majority of them but will not fish with that NUMPTY!:uhuh: :g:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was you fishing on ME with slim?
Sure was (did he mention the day?), unfortunately we had no decky that day, Lyle was on his todd. He did have word with the numpty, as did the organiser, myself and a few others. Unfortuately no matter who spoke to him, he seemed incapable of comprehending the English language. I even suggested we have a whip round and buy him some braid and spool it up for him.

As I said, he didn't ruin the day but he hardly enhanced it either.

Oh, one other thing I forgot about was when, at someone's request, we went inshore to feather for macky, not for bait but to take home. Now my idea of a charter is not to go macky bashing, if I wanted that I'd get a 3 hour trip out of Lyme Regis or join the tinsel tossers on Chesil

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hello Codhead
You sound like me a few years ago, we had our own fishing club for boat fishing only, and we were in need of members so we did not have much choice to who we fished with.
It was agreed and documented about how we would fish, same line, weight etc etc. However the treasurer is and was not a good angler and was as thick as a plank, we even told him once whilst waiting for the boat to put feathers out without a lead, with half a loaf of bread on each hook, to see if he could catch the mullet. The howls of laughter could be heard miles away as this prat tried it, what made matters worse some trips later when we was out at sea, he did it again for the mullet, we did warn him and he ended up unwrapping a seagull from his rig, fortunatley the bird was not hurt. Despite telling him countless times he would always fish the wrecks with the biggest real and 80lb mono, even for mackeral.
Another angler on the boat would catch a pollack and despite our efforts to stop the nitting, and pollack do crash around and catch other rigs. When he brought someone else's rig he would unwittenly cut the other rig away, or so he said. If he was tangled around someone else bringing a fish in, it was always his fish. This was not to mention how many times he hit one of us on the head with a swinging lead.
guests were no better, we had one idiot fishing a wreck 300ft deep with spinners. They did work, but they also caught everyone else up. We told him countless times but the daft bugger would'nt listen.
The frustration came to a head eventually as these idiots would not listen or change their habbits. In my logic its about quality fishing time and charter boats are expensive. We spend our time fishing the st james channel out of north wales, it takes around 3 hours to get to the furthest mark. This totals 6 hours traveling and 6 hours fishing. The boat costs £480 and with 6 (which we reckon is comfortable for wrecking)on the boat it cost £80 per angler for 6 hours fishing. If im spending half of my time getting my rig untangled from an idiot not fishing properly, then it turns out at £80 for 3hrs fishing and 9hrs travelling and knitting.
It got to the point that even the site of an idiot would make my blood boil. The solution was quite a simple one, the decent anglers formed their own club.
We have now 6 anglers, we very rarley take on guests, unless we know they will be no trouble and meet our conditions. We now have 6hrs travelling and 6 hours fishing (with the odd inevitable tangle) We are also of the mind set that joining a boat full of individuals will also result in the lack of fishing due to the rogue idiot you always get on a boat. So we dont bother seeking individual trips either.

Frostman

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sure was (did he mention the day?), unfortunately we had no decky that day, Lyle was on his todd. He did have word with the numpty, as did the organiser, myself and a few others. Unfortuately no matter who spoke to him, he seemed incapable of comprehending the English language. I even suggested we have a whip round and buy him some braid and spool it up for him.

As I said, he didn't ruin the day but he hardly enhanced it either.

Oh, one other thing I forgot about was when, at someone's request, we went inshore to feather for macky, not for bait but to take home. Now my idea of a charter is not to go macky bashing, if I wanted that I'd get a 3 hour trip out of Lyme Regis or join the tinsel tossers on Chesil
Yes did mention the day! Nice to get enough fish in the morning then have a skipper willing to give you a shot at something else!

He didnt mention the numpty as he will usually have at least one a day!
Sounds like some kind of tablet you take! :uhuh:

THE NUMPTY TABLET! :g:

Just imagine sorry sir what are you doing! take one of these and have 5 in the wheelhouse! comes back as mike millman! Ha!

I was talked into doing the Saturday Decky job! Supposed to be my day off!

12 individual's wrecking. Yes! you can imagine it!

But fair do's to them they fished quite well except for the odd numpty that couldnt listen and go down in order or not go down late in the drift on the top of other people or who stayed sat in one place all day going down no matter when he decided to drop.

You get them on every trip!

It's about team work!
The whole boat of anglers fishing together not as a match against each other!

As for the mackie fishing! If you join a group then unfortunatley you are at their call. Unless they agree that the majority rule the skipper can easily quash this talk! wrong state of tide!

I have had many a trip where people mark their fish. Then at the end I seem to have at least 2/3 Pollack missing and even some cheeky T**T trying to pass off a couple of fillets of my Cod as Pollack fillets. Tip your bag out! Thank you! Dont come again!:g:
You are right as well! It's usually the numpty causing the cockups all day!

G

·
When we chartered a lot with Chris Caines, our club (the then Oxford and District SAC) had a simple rule.

All the fish was to be evenly shared amongst all anglers. The only exception was for extra special catches which would then go to the angler.
It saved any disagreement over who caught what and so on.

We still got a few numpties or clowns generally.
One guy who insisted on using a pirk whilst all around were on latex.
The same guy would not move to the front of the boat on his next drop whilst congering and so on.

Clowns are a different thing:
Me and mate Chris who insisted on taking the mickey with daftly light gear.
Using kiddies spinning rods Congering or a Canal Bomb Rod for Ling....
That would usually get Mr Caines cursing!

On the flip side it was only ever two of us that helped clean and fillet the whole catch and then clean the boat down whilst everyone else sat about.

Tom

PS: The same thing happens on our own boat

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
as far as my very limited experience of charter boat fishing goes.... i agree, out of 12 individuals, theres bound to be one complete numpty who will put a dampener on the day.
unfortunaltly for lyle, he is in the possition where being on his own with no decky and 12 individuals is a common occurance. i did quite abit of crewing for him back when he started on the M.E.
he does very well though in that situation, just one of the things which has led me to belive he'll turn out to be one of the countrys top skippers. im sure many who have fished with him will agree.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
as far as my very limited experience of charter boat fishing goes.... i agree, out of 12 individuals, theres bound to be one complete numpty who will put a dampener on the day.
unfortunaltly for lyle, he is in the possition where being on his own with no decky and 12 individuals is a common occurance. i did quite abit of crewing for him back when he started on the M.E.
he does very well though in that situation, just one of the things which has led me to belive he'll turn out to be one of the countrys top skippers. im sure many who have fished with him will agree.
I've no complaints whatsoever about Lyle and agree with you, he is a star skipper in the making. Its good to know others have problems too, I was getting to the point where I thought I'd morphed into Jasper Carrot's loony-magnet on the bus.

It's not just boats either. Last summer at Burton Bradstock I had a bloke set up less than a *** paper's width from me. He then proceeded to ledger with a set of unbaited macky feathers and a 4 oz lead, when I was struggling holding bottom with a 6 oz gemini grip lead. I suggested he move downtide from me, which he kindly did and then proceeded to cast over my line. In the end I gave him some rag and a couple of 6 oz grip leads. It was easier than bagging up completely and moving somewhere else.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Had the same myself last Sunday. Bloke turns up with his kit to fish for Bream in Poole. 50lb line, rolled up lead for weights, cod feathers, treble hooks (Yep, treble), reel from the Ark (Royal for towing in), rod to match. Finished up giving him rigs, weights, and bait. Just to prevent tangles. Didn't work. Glad when he puked (Food poisoning, not sea sickness, of course).

Where did he get his kit.................Feckin car boot sale. All for under a tenner.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Yeah mate agree with some points but at the end of the day the guy has paid the same amount of money as you and every1 else so is entitled to do as he wishes, and it seems to me that if you concentrated on yourself not wot this "idiot" was doing then you may have not lost any fish, as for the macky then if it is voted in favor of going for some fish to take home then so be it just cos YOU wanted to do this or that and you didnt get your own way then unlucky it seems to me that you need to book a charter on your own as everything some1 else wants to do or does you dont agree with it.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
You guys have been lucky! Apart from club trips 20 years ago, I have fished with numpties on every trip since - it got so bad that i bought my own boat and have not been on a charter since! The skips never seem to bother with the rules like:-

Those at the bow fish with heavier weights than those at midships and the stern. They never sort out the braid and mono guys, they never make everyone swap pegs at midday etc.

The tangles and subsequent rows were sometimes horrendous.

One time a guy on the bow tangled an entire side of the boat by using baited Mackie feathers and a 3ox breakaway lead!!!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I've no complaints whatsoever about Lyle and agree with you, he is a star skipper in the making. Its good to know others have problems too, I was getting to the point where I thought I'd morphed into Jasper Carrot's loony-magnet on the bus.

It's not just boats either. Last summer at Burton Bradstock I had a bloke set up less than a *** paper's width from me. He then proceeded to ledger with a set of unbaited macky feathers and a 4 oz lead, when I was struggling holding bottom with a 6 oz gemini grip lead. I suggested he move downtide from me, which he kindly did and then proceeded to cast over my line. In the end I gave him some rag and a couple of 6 oz grip leads. It was easier than bagging up completely and moving somewhere else.
i have every faith that ly will go all the way! not just cos hes one of my best buds but i've fished with him for years and he's taught me everything i know about the sport. he still amazes me with the his level of fishing knowledge. it's not often you get a soon to be 19 year old know more than alot of experienced match anglers!

had the exact same thing at burton bradstock a few years ago! except this guy thought that because he was catching mackerel on the retreive, there was loads of mackerel taking his feathers while they were sat on the bottom! i tried to explain to him but he clearly had no brain and didnt take my advice on "how to fish" so he continued to ledger feathers!

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah mate agree with some points but at the end of the day the guy has paid the same amount of money as you and every1 else so is entitled to do as he wishes, and it seems to me that if you concentrated on yourself not wot this "idiot" was doing then you may have not lost any fish, as for the macky then if it is voted in favor of going for some fish to take home then so be it just cos YOU wanted to do this or that and you didnt get your own way then unlucky it seems to me that you need to book a charter on your own as everything some1 else wants to do or does you dont agree with it.
You appear to have missed my point entirely.

I didn't have a problem with going after macky, it just seemed like an expensive way to do it. I had no interest in macky, other than the possibility of getting a joey for bait, that's why I used shrimp rigs instead of hokkais etc. As far as concentrating on my own fishing is concerned, it was difficult for nine of us to concentrate on our own fishing because of the pig-headedness of one fool. That's why I suggested we all club together and buy him some braid, he might just find his own fishing a little more enjoyable. On a previous trip (my first with this crowd), everyone was mucking in, loaning weights, hooks, bait etc and helping others to tackle up. The fact that he paid the same amount of money as anyone else should not give him the right to fly in the face of common sense and spoil nine other anglers day out.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
On Friday, I had the good fortune (and as it happened misfortune) to join a group of anglers, on a charter out of Weymouth. I had been out with most of these guys before and although they were a mix of experienced/keen anglers, they are generally a good bunch. There was however one rogue element and although I'm not usually backward in coming forward, I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and kept me gob shut, for the most part. In a nutshell, this idiot managed the following:

1) Fished mono when everyone else on board was fishing braid

2) Took absolutely no notice of the skipper's recommendations as far as sinker weight was concerned, when wrecking

3) Left the net in among the sandeels in the livebait well

4) Washed his hands in the livebait well

5) While drifiting over banks, where everyone else was using 8 oz on a running ledger, insisted on fishing a string of macky feathers on 2 oz sinker.

6) Nicked 50% of the ice I managed to blag from another boat

7) Filled a bag with approximately 50% of the fish caught that day, even though to the best of my knowledge he caught only 3 fish all day

8) Left his rod, tackled up with macky feathers, so that when it was passed up to me on the quayside, I managed to spear my hand

9) Moaned in the pub about the lack of fish caught (he seems to directly relate the cost of a charter to the amount of fish caught). 10 anglers caught over 50 pollack in less than two hours in the morning, the general concensus was we'd caught enough and wanted to try something different for the afternoon.

The guy who organised the trip is a friend of this idiot but even he was getting frustrated with him, to the point where he fished from the bow in order to avoid him. The fool cost me 4 fish by getting tangled in my gear and once cut my gear, so he could continue fishing.

In an effort to avoid any confrontation, I kept my gob shut and other than making this fool walk the plank, do any of you guys have any suggestions as to how to handle a similar situation in the future?

I can't say that he ruined the day but he did take the shine off it a bit. The rest of the lads are fine and I'm reluctant to refuse to go with them again just because of one barmpot who refuses to listen or use any common sense.

Any suggestions guys?

Sorry to here you had a spoilt day with this muppet .....simple solution is to not take him anymore,and tell his mate not to bring him again.

·
Registered
477 Posts
if enough of you feel the same let him turn up again and then tell the skipper it's him or us. I reckon the money might win out :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
You appear to have missed my point entirely.

I didn't have a problem with going after macky, it just seemed like an expensive way to do it. I had no interest in macky, other than the possibility of getting a joey for bait, that's why I used shrimp rigs instead of hokkais etc. As far as concentrating on my own fishing is concerned, it was difficult for nine of us to concentrate on our own fishing because of the pig-headedness of one fool. That's why I suggested we all club together and buy him some braid, he might just find his own fishing a little more enjoyable. On a previous trip (my first with this crowd), everyone was mucking in, loaning weights, hooks, bait etc and helping others to tackle up. The fact that he paid the same amount of money as anyone else should not give him the right to fly in the face of common sense and spoil nine other anglers day out.
Reached the same conclusion as you!
He has missed the point's made!

Like I said before, with that number of anglers wreck fishing need to work as a team.

a_bozzy. Fair do's! You do have the right to use what you like when you have paid your money
BUT! You do not have the right to continuously tangle people's line's causing them to have to cut their main line, so that they loose 100-150 feet of line each time. It's bad enough when its nylon but when its braid its very costly. Put together with a chance that after the 2nd or 3rd time you may not have enough line to reach the bottom then it's bad new's. I have alot of patience for those who dont know but who are willing to learn.

They even offered to buy him some braid!:nonono:

Loosing your fish when someone has tangled with you is often a hazard especially if they reel up or pull their line tight to your fish because it naturually acts as a disgorger or your line grips theirs tight when the fish tries ti dive! or hadnt you thought of this? :g:

If I tangle someone I take a look at what gear(Main line's, weights, method and combinations of all three) is being used around me and if neccessary move or change my gear or explain what is wrong with what we are doing? and urge them to change! Team Work!:secret:

BUT! as a famous skipper said to a 78 year old guy fishing on his boat, when he told him he shouldnt fish that way.

The old guy said "I have been angling for 64 years who are you to tell me how to fish" :schmoll:
the skipper countered with "well you havent learnt FA in those 64 years, now do what I say or you wont come on me again! :g: I provide experience and guidance on whats best for all those who come fishing on my boat and I'm out here 24/7 363 days a year, been doing it for 50+ years myself":secret: :clap3:

Quality Lloyd. Absolute quality!:notworthy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts