World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was after a grey gurnard for my species hunt, so a sneaky few hours on Friday afternoon was arranged.
I went down to Seaton beach (Devon) as this is a good venue for them.
Knowing about the resident crabs from previous visits I set up two rods, each with a two-up flapper, each hook with pop-up beads.

It was bites from the off, with a steady stream of mackerel. Mostly joeys, but some bigger ones mixed in. For a bit of variety the odd gar came along, including an absolute stonker. None of this was helping the species hunt though, so I changed one rod to a plain flapper with no pop-ups. The result, no bites on this rod, but no crab activity either.

After dark the usual pout invasion happened, so I tried mackerel heads close in and at a distance. Nothing on those.

The grand total was:
  • 20 mackerel
  • 4 garfish
  • 3 pout
So, plenty of fish, but nothing new for the species hunt.

Not sure what to try next... any ideas would be most welcome.

Tight lines and thanks for reading.

Phil

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
At least you were busy and didn't blank. I have found that all of the gurnard I have caught from this beach is during the day.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Nice work Phil on the macs and gar Phil
Just got to keep at it I suppose with the greys whouldnt know where else to get them mate

·
Registered
493 Posts
I've had most success with gurnards on moving baits, hokkais with mackerel strip cast out and then retrieved quite slowly.... never had a grey one though :)

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve got a good mark on Anglesey Phil!
I've been doing this species hunting lark for about three years now. It seems to be about building up a library of marks that produce certain species in certain conditions at certain times of the year.
If you are willing and able to put in the hours and miles then you will reap the rewards.
I have family 'up north' which normally gives me an opportunity to bag a coalfish and dab from Whitby. Can't justify the miles otherwise.
My daughter has moved to South Wales, and her boyfriend is a keen fisherman, so I am recruiting him to find some marks for me. He has already done well on the codling, so a visit there might be in order.
In the mean time, I will just have to keep focussed and hope something new comes along. I have tried several times for sole this year, but my usual mark just isn't producing.
Hey ho...

·
Registered
613 Posts
I’d suggest the Abbotsbury end of Chesil for your sole Phil. The invasion of pout and whiting will reduce your chances now but coloured water after this blow that’s coming in might give you a chance in daylight.

I know what you mean about building up a catologue of marks. I’d never fished Weymouth harbour or Swanage Pier before starting up the species hunting.

The bonus for me comes on my current trip to Ireland. The weather is going to wipe out a lot of the rock marks for big pollack and wrasse but I can still fish the various piers and arms to see if I can find something different down the sides. That’s how I found red mouthed gobies last year which are my best chance of hitting the elusive 60 (I got to 59 last year but forgot to take a picture of a common smoothound last June - doh!).

I do have other options and will keep trying as this species thing is an addiction

Good luck with your hunt

Clive

1 - 8 of 8 Posts