World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My granddad asked me a couple of weeks back if i wanted to buy his
12ft dinghy off him for about £100, straight away i replied yes because i know that its in good condition and is well worth the money.Anyway the reason ive made this thread is because it doesn't come with and outboard so i wondered if someone could recommend me a cheap but decent 10hp outboard engine
Any advice would be appreciated,cheers

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
My granddad asked me a couple of weeks back if i wanted to buy his
12ft dinghy off him for about £100, straight away i replied yes because i know that its in good condition and is well worth the money.Anyway the reason ive made this thread is because it doesn't come with and outboard so i wondered if someone could recommend me a cheap but decent 10hp outboard engine
Any advice would be appreciated,cheers
Just out of intrest is that the maximum H/P rated for your dinghy?what size ,make is it out of intrest? Just sent you an invite ,lots of top advice from well experieced dinghy fisherman

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just out of intrest is that the maximum H/P rated for your dinghy?what size ,make is it out of intrest? Just sent you an invite ,lots of top advice from well experieced dinghy fisherman
dont have a clue just thought a 10hp would be ample(this is my first boat so...)
We've got a 6 knot current so is 10hp enough?

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Is it a planing hull or displacement? - if a planing hull and not too heavy then 10hp should be enough to get it to plane, but at just 12ft if it's just you in the boat and you sit at the rear - i.e. with a tiller rather than a forward steering position then it might struggle, 2 up you may find 15hp better - if it is this type of hull and you'll be using it single handed then setting up a forward steering position would be very worthwhile addition.
If on the other hand it's a displacement hull - i.e. the bottom of the hull curves up towards the rear and most likely also to have rounded chines, then 5-6hp will be enough - any more won't make it go any faster and would most likely be over the hull's rating and I'd be very wary of taking this type of boat anywhere there's a 6 knot current.
Did your grandad ever have an engine on it? - if so I guess he'd be able to tell you what size worked well.

·
The Bait Guy
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it a planing hull or displacement? - if a planing hull and not too heavy then 10hp should be enough to get it to plane, but at just 12ft if it's just you in the boat and you sit at the rear - i.e. with a tiller rather than a forward steering position then it might struggle, 2 up you may find 15hp better - if it is this type of hull and you'll be using it single handed then setting up a forward steering position would be very worthwhile addition.
If on the other hand it's a displacement hull - i.e. the hull curves up towards the rear and most likely also to have rounded chines, then 5-6hp will be enough - any more won't make it go any faster and would most likely be over the hull's rating and I'd be very wary of taking this type of boat anywhere there's a 6 knot current.
Did your grandad ever have an engine on it? - if so I guess he'd be able to tell you what size worked well.
I'll ask him when i go and collect it next week because as ive said im a complete noob when it comes to boats(i dont even know where i'm gonna get my vhf from yet mate)

·
Registered
8,340 Posts
Dinghys ,like all boats are rated with a certain weight the transom can take ,hence a 4 stroke is generally heavier then a 2 stroke, for instance my dinghy is rated at 6hp max ,ther is usally a plate on the transom ,if i remember inside and tells you ,how many people ,what weight it can take e.t.c

1 - 6 of 6 Posts