World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my first trip out on a charter and loved it! Rather than paying £7.50 everytime I go on tackle hire, I would like to get myself a cheap set up but have no idea where to start, any suggestion? I would prefer a lever drag reel though.

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
Just had my first trip out on a charter and loved it! Rather than paying £7.50 everytime I go on tackle hire, I would like to get myself a cheap set up but have no idea where to start, any suggestion? I would prefer a lever drag reel though.
Have a look throught the sticky thread above :) or here

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52208

or have a look through the back of Sea Dangler, TSF, Boat Fishing Monthly etc... find a deal and then search the threads for specific info on that equipment.

:)

If I had to be specific I would say that at about £20-£25 a Ron Thompson Kamikaze Boat rod (with a glass tip was brilliant as my 1st Boat Rod. Very powerful in the mid to butt section for hauling conger but super sensitive in the tip for Bream etc. Great allround starter rod for most eventualities. I had it with a dam power pirate level wind reel for £40 for the both from Spotty Dog tackle. Brilliantly cheap and was fault free for 30 or so trips until I upgraded. It was a cheap star drag reel though so can't really help you with a lever drag. Have a look at tacklebargains for a few reels.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I've just ordered 2 combo's from Gerry's of Morecombe.
Penn Firetip 20/30lb class coupled with Penn 230GTO's cost £109 for the 2 plus postage, reels aren't lever drag.

AL ..

·
Registered
164 Posts
don't think you get lever drag for under £180, why lever are you fishing for tope, conger and rays, a decent fixed spool does most jobs along with a penn fire or a ugly stick.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been looking at the Abu BG 7000 Lever Drag reel from Poingdestres for £60. Sounds like a nice bit of kit to me for the money but im not sure. Also found a few nice looking rods, Ron Thompson Zensorflex 7ft 20-30lb class. Would this set up be anygood?

G

·
I have been looking at the Abu BG 7000 Lever Drag reel from Poingdestres for £60. Sounds like a nice bit of kit to me for the money but im not sure. Also found a few nice looking rods, Ron Thompson Zensorflex 7ft 20-30lb class. Would this set up be anygood?

If you are looking at spending £60 on the reel then go for an entry level star drag from Penn or Shimano. They will be far better than the chocolate geared Abu which should be avoided like the plague.

That said you can get exceptional lever drags for much less than £180.
Check out the tiny, but immensley strong Avet SX or it's bigger brothers.
At around £100 it is an astonishing reel, if not hugely fast on the retrieve.
I have one that is loaded with more braid than would ever see the light of day, even with a big billfish on.
Available from RokMax in Cornwall.

Tom

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
for £80 you can get a Shamino TLD 15!! with a Lever drag!!

im in the same problem as you, i have my money waiting but there are so many different rods!!

but i think that the Penn 220 is a very good reel to start with!!

Jamie

G

·
Jamie

do you mean the GTi.

I personally am not a great fan of them. I find them a little unbalanced and with fairly weak drags.
I do like Penn kit so it is not a dig at them (in fact I love some new stuff I have recently got hold of), but I am not a fan of this model range.

The TLD15 is a very good reel. A friend of mine who is about to start chartering has just invested in 10 for the boat.
They are a little lumpy to use, but take one heck of a pounding which makes them ideal as hire reels.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
so tom, im going to be mainly wrecking, what class rod and reel should i get? is a 12lb/20lb class too light??

I want to get the TLD 15, atm i have a slosh20. so should i get a 12lb/20lb or a 20lb/30lb rod?

Jamie

G

·
Jamie

If your wrecking is mainly anchoring for Conger then go with the 20/30.

If you will be fishing on the drift for Pollack, Cod and Bass then personally guauge your rod by how much lead you need. Apart fro the Hurds Deeps on a spring tide you won't need more than 10oz (usually 6 or 8) anywhere in the Channel.
Maximum sport will come from something like an Alba or Conoflex 6lb class (the Alba is my new toy) and a balanced reel loaded with 12lb to 16lb braid.
For the sporting angler, but not a loony like me, go for a 6/12. Something like a Shimano Speedmaster. For a guy who is nervous that he can't handle a good fish on light gear (anyone can, you just need confidence and a decent reel) then go for a 12lb class and for those who err back to the days when we winched 'em up and filled the deck go for a 12/20.

The 12/20 will give you a bit more confidence should you hook a 30lb plus Ling (the other gear will handle it with time).

If you need a really good allround rod to handle some normal downtide situations for typical rays, tope, turbot etc then a 12lb class will be a true all rounder. My own personal opinion is that once you move into 20lb class then you are beginning to dampen down your sport on the fish you are likely to be catching.
Should you get big time into the boat scene you can always add to your collection later, but in the meantime I suggest the best all rounder to be 12lb class.

I've said it before, but with the exception of some the largest game fish and the likes of Common Skate, set your tackle to the amount of lead you need to fish comfortably rather than the fish you "hope" to catch. You'llbe gob smacked how big a fish can be caught on light gear with little more fuss than on the heavy gear.

Below are my rough suggestions as to pound class to amount of lead it will take in a drifting or downtide scenario:

6lb class up to about 6oz in total comfort and maxed out at 10oz (bendy)
6/12lb class up to 10oz in comfort, albeit a bit bendy
12lb class up to about 12oz in comfort
12/20lb class about 12oz in comfort and 1lb max (bendy)
20lb class up to about 1.25lb in comfort and 1.5lb max (bendy)
20/30lb class for 1.5lb in comfort and 2lb max
30lb class 2lb in comfort anymore then give up fishing.

Jamie, rmember this is just my opinion so a pinch of salt is required and it does, of course, depend a lot on what you hope to do.

Tom

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
thats great!!! thanks!!

i will mainly be drifting over wrecks. for pollock and cod.

im going to look at a 12lb class.

what do you think of the DAIWA SUPER KENZAKI BRAID BOAT SPECIAL ROD 7' 8" 6-12LB ? i think is it a very nice rod!!

Jamie

G

·
I don't know the rod Jamie, but it is the perfect power for wreck drifting (in my opinion).

You will love using it and it will double up nicely for Plaice, Bream, Bass etc inshore. A 3lb fish will pull your string, but you still have the power to handle a 30lb fish if it jumps on your hook (much more will make your eyes water, but will make a super clean ground Tope rod).
The only thing it will struggle with and real time is needed is larger Ray's (much over 20lb) and bigger Conger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts