World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all i thought i would give review on a cheap reel that bought just to see what they are like.
the reel is a LJ9000 fixed spool it has 12+1 bearings. well first i took it out of the box no instructions which was not surprising as it comes from china cosmetically it looks very nice it has a nice aluminum big deep spool which holds about 300 yrds of 15lb line and the line lay is very neat and even which is a surprise for such a cheap reel it has a nice big comfy handle which is a joy to use.So next job was to rip it to bits and see what the guts looked like being such a cheap reel i didn't hold much hope well i was very shocked as undid the 5 screws that held the side plate on and pulled the cover of it was all nicely greased. All the gears are well cut brass on the spool spindle no burs or rough edges the cog that is driven by the handle is some other metal not sure what type but well machined teeth.There are 2 bearings which support the handle one on each side which where well greased and very smooth the spool shaft has a nice big bearing which was well greased and very smooth held in place by a good retaining plate.so next job take the bale arm off all the springs where nice and tidy litely greased then took the roller out which all so has a small bearing in well greased and smooth as silk.So i put it all back together and took it for a road test down the west arm first cast line shot of the spool wound in so smooth and top notch line lay next cast cought a big lump of weed and winch it in no problem smooth as silk.the drag is very smooth and not notchy like some reels.I know its not a penn or shim and most people will say dont bye that **** but as most come from china and are all copys of each other and you are paying for the name this reel is ideal for people on a budget or none tackle tarts
AND ALL FOR £20.00 +£5 p&p
Here is the link if any one is interested
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171891226871?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

·
Registered
21,556 Posts
Hello all i thought i would give review on a cheap reel that bought just to see what they are like.
the reel is a LJ9000 fixed spool it has 12+1 bearings. well first i took it out of the box no instructions which was not surprising as it comes from china cosmetically it looks very nice it has a nice aluminum big deep spool which holds about 300 yrds of 15lb line and the line lay is very neat and even which is a surprise for such a cheap reel it has a nice big comfy handle which is a joy to use.So next job was to rip it to bits and see what the guts looked like being such a cheap reel i didn't hold much hope well i was very shocked as undid the 5 screws that held the side plate on and pulled the cover of it was all nicely greased. All the gears are well cut brass on the spool spindle no burs or rough edges the cog that is driven by the handle is some other metal not sure what type but well machined teeth.There are 2 bearings which support the handle one on each side which where well greased and very smooth the spool shaft has a nice big bearing which was well greased and very smooth held in place by a good retaining plate.so next job take the bale arm off all the springs where nice and tidy litely greased then took the roller out which all so has a small bearing in well greased and smooth as silk.So i put it all back together and took it for a road test down the west arm first cast line shot of the spool wound in so smooth and top notch line lay next cast cought a big lump of weed and winch it in no problem smooth as silk.the drag is very smooth and not notchy like some reels.I know its not a penn or shim and most people will say dont bye that **** but as most come from china and are all copys of each other and you are paying for the name this reel is ideal for people on a budget or none tackle tarts
AND ALL FOR £20.00 +£5 p&p
Here is the link if any one is interested
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171891226871?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
:) Those little bait casters look great. :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Looks like I paid the extra 60 pounds extra each for my two to have the Penn badge.:(

·
Premium Member
17,556 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's a company in China that makes rods & reels for just about everybody & as other posts have suggested that's a surfblaster if ever iv seen one. I can't remember the name of this company but I'll get it, iv spent hundreds of pounds on reels in recent years and none have had 12 bareings. Looks a bargain. Many thanks for the report

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
I posted this up while back been discussing about reels with someone else that's knows what there talking about many of them contract out but Penn contract all now apart from a few things!
but this is the original Surfblaster PF down spec it as the grauvell has same amount of bearings as this one.
did it come with spare spool?
for £25 could live with it but £100 no as in ultegra Territory makes sure wash handle as they corrode badly if left but probably last better than the Penn one's?

did have the name of the companies in China other day PF use have to dig them out!

but there are others similar to this on the market N4lly posted one up other day

One thing i would do is remove spool and check front bearing as looks open if so pack bearing with a good grease

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
If u can be arsed to spend.hours looking thru chinese reels ali express has many many thousands of penn fladen mitchel unbranded ones, starting at about a 5er, the fly reels are eye openers fk off hardy your taking the ****

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
If folks go to the link given above on ebay and scroll down through the advert, there are a series of close pictures of the Chinese reel, including with the spool off. From what I can see this area is substantially different to the Penn?

1 - 20 of 109 Posts