World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i`ve been looking on ebay at terminal tackle, and lures from china. i know that cheap is`nt always best. has anyone had any bad experience from buying abroad such as china? if anyone could give me any advise about from buying from overseas it would be fully appreciated.

·
Registered
531 Posts
i`ve been looking on ebay at terminal tackle, and lures from china. i know that cheap is`nt always best. has anyone had any bad experience from buying abroad such as china? if anyone could give me any advise about from buying from overseas it would be fully appreciated.[/Q

Buy cheap, buy twice!
I've never bought any tackle from China but have bought other goods.....generally speaking - you get what you pay for, a lot cheaper than European goods but tend to be inferior quality made with poor materials. But like I said, I've not bought any fishing tackle so maybe somebody on here has had good experiences?

·
Registered
21,361 Posts
I bought a couple of masterline nerus 6000 reels about 5 years ago for when I was low water fishing on the thames which is mud city, they cost £36 each. Used them regularly for 4 years, they cast well and totally reliable. Gave them a wipe over and let a local charity shop have em and they sold for £20 each within a couple of days. Not all Chinese sourced stuff is crap.

Before I retired I used to see all the vehicle warranty figures for each manufacturer. Believe me, if joe public saw these then people's perceptions of quality versus crap producers would be sorely dented!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i totally understand what your saying. I`ve never been one for scrimping on my tackle, but one thing i would say is that 90% of our terminal tackle comes from china and japan. there is very little that british made these days. my biggest hate is buying new line you never know how long its been sitting about in the shops for. i`m never a happy man when i`ve just spooled up and the leader knot keeps breaking! I`m sure we`ve all experienced that. thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Like I said - I've never bought tackle from china on ebay but other goods that I have bought have been inferior. If Miz is saying his reels were a good buy then I would trust that!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the chinese are clever people and accept that most of our tackle comes from there. i bought some cheap lures a little while back and was fishing for pike on the tidal medway. i over cast and got snagged on some debris stuck in the mud. i pulled for the break only to get my wire trace back. so i tried another and i had and over run where the braid had bedded in. this time the lure shot off leaving the just the small eye that you connect to your main line. i never used these lures again, I`m not one for using cheap lures as i would hate to think of any fish swimming about with two sets of trebles stuck in its mouth.

well if they can supply quality at a cheap rate that cost less than driving to the tackle shop i think i`ll give it ago!!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I'd also wager that most of the "British" gear already comes from China and other far eastern countries. Our manufacturing industry went down the tube a'while back.

·
Marmite
12,806 Posts
Iv bought line,reels from over seas.
Sometimes it can be hear in 7days. But the longest is 21days.
You can all ways try mate. Good luck pal

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yep, I don't think it's the country of origin that's the problem, more which companies within that huge country to trust....

·
Registered
21,361 Posts
Where a product requires reasonably complex assembly in Europe typically the labour cost would be 60-70 percent of the total cost. If you move the assembly process to a low cost producer in the Far East or Eastern Europe yet charge the same price for the product then the profit increase is considerable. However providing the assembly process is clearly documented by the parent company ,in plant quality control is in place then what comes out of a far eastern factory should be ok.

The fall down normally occurs when components move from European to local sources without supplier quality assurance being given and that where the 5hit creeps in. Look at the state Toyota have got into in recent years with massive warranty claims, exactly for this reason.

·
Registered
11,751 Posts
I wouldn't buy things like hooks or swivels from China as I've known them to break well before their stated breaking strain, however I always buy my braid from China as I think it's some of the best in the world and most of the stuff sold in Europe comes from there anyway.

The 8 strand Saratoga is probably one of the best braids in the world and you can buy it in 1000m spools at a fraction of the cost in the UK, mono in heavier breaking strains is also very good.

Buying cheap is not always the best policy, but neither is paying over the odds for a brand name.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
They make some crap in China, there's ex decent brands all over the place as examples. Doesn't mean they can't make decent stuff, they can reverse engineer an iPhone in a week knockem out for 20 quid sure there's bargains to be had.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Ive bought tackle from tackle shops and the hook lengths have been stronger than the main line you cant tell y the packaging what the quality is like

·
Premium Member
17,448 Posts
I bought a couple of packets swivel clips & hooks on eBay from china, the add stated the breaking strain of the swivel was about 30lb. I got a couple of bags around 50 per bag & when i opened the bag some were broken, i went fishing locally & put a swivel on couple of casts later it was broken, never again, the other guys bang on buy cheap pay twice

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Not fishing tackle but a Canon compatible lens hood , Canon price £35. Hong Kong price £9.50 incl p&P, import dues etc. Apart from the name on it, indistinguishable from the Canon offering both in appearance and performance.
During shipping the carrier lost it. When it did not arrive I e-mailed the seller and got an immediate apologetic response with the cost of the original refunded to my card and a new one sent. Typically 2 arrived! I e-mailed the seller offering to pay for one of them. He was not interested in taking my money because as he said, the original loss was down to him and I was a good guy!
I was lucky I suppose but if I was buying tackle I'm not sure where I would shop. There's plenty of cheap tackle already on sale in the UK so why look elsewhere for similar that you cant readily return if faulty?

G

·
If you pay for cheap tackle you'll get cheap tackle, doesn't matter where it's made.The sad part is big companies reducing quality to boost profits but selling at prices that imply the goods are still the original quality.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
The braid is ok never had any issues using it, look at the hundreds of "which headlamp" threads and you will see a lot use the chinese cree headlights

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
i buy circle hooks, lures, braid and large swivels from china. as they are a lot cheaper than this country. just none of the fancy packaging.

as most of the tackle is made in china all you're doing is cutting out lots of middle men.

the only down side, especially to buying terminal by picture only (not just from abroad but anywhere on line) is that you can never be sure of sizes. every size scales seem to be different, and pictures aren't the same as seeing them in the flesh. having said this a lot of the pictures from china are better than the uk, and have a ruler in place to compare.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts