World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to West Midland Angling Centre (WMAC) (at Darlaston, West Midlands) today and bought a Ron Thompson 'Superior' 12' Beachcaster brand new for, ...... wait for it -- £10!!! (Think it's just a composite rather than Carbon but nevertheless is supposed to cast 4-8oz It's not stiff (at all!!) but at £10 I just had to try it! There was a Zebco 60 size reel (with Free spool clutch) there which will take 200 yds of 25lb line and that set me back a further £14.99.

It's a project! I'm not going to deliberately abuse the set-up (i.e. pulling stupidly with the rod/reel when snagged) or trying to pretend i'm a tournament caster (now THERE is a laugh!) but will use it alongside my standard gear, whereever I fish. If I get 25 sessions out of it with no ill affects, and the odd fish, then I will consider the test a success.

Will let you know how I get on!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Please do Swelley,
I bought a Ron Thompson uptider to use on the beach - hadn't got it wet when I caught it in the car door and took the end ring off undaunted I took it to a tackle dealer (Goweton Country stores) to have a new one put on then on the way back one of the kids stood on it and snapped 6" off the top - wouldn't mind so much but I only realised when I took it out the bag on the beach and I didn't have another rod. Anyone want the butt section of an uptider that's never been used?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
You think thats bad? I bought a Ron Thomson 'Bass' combo for £24.99, purely for the purpose of feathering. Casting weight 1-3oz, on I put a set of feathers and a 3oz bomb, first cast went about 20yards due to the Nylon that came with the reel being like mooring rope. Second cast 'CRAACK', my dad asks if I've had a crack off. Kinda-the tip section of the rod had snapped just above the joint.

See a bit of a pattern forming here?

·
Registered
11,184 Posts
bought a pair of bass combos for two freinds who were coming for a weeks fishing on the lleyn and diddnt want anything expensive. they caught pollock to 5lb, wrasse to 3lb dozens of strings of mackerel ,dogfish,bream and bass to 2lb. they think that these are the best rods they have ever had. you dont get that reaction from many £300 rods. i did no better than them using all my designer gear. if they never use these rods again for £30 a set with reel it owes them nothing.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
i put £5 that the first thing to go wrong with that superior will be the reel seat...you will be packing up one day...and realise now matter how far you turn it,,the reel wont come off..

hheeehee :cool:

·
Registered
7,885 Posts
There's a tope mark off Aberystwyth that is called "Ron Thompson's".

It got its name after two of the said uptiders snapped 6" down from the tip in two successive days a year or three back.

I saw another one break a couple of years back but the owner didn't really know what he was doing. He had a tope up to the boat which dived for the bottom. Instead of giving it line, he struck violently for some reason. Crack!

Cheers - John

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
If all tackle manufacturers tested their stuff before sale there probably wouldn't be half as much tat on the market. I'm all for cheap kit but if the manufacturer knows that it's tat, then that's just ripping people off.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
well in all fairness..i got 2 superiors,,and the're not all that bad!!..they not great..but they'll certainly do the job..

the only downside,,is that dodgy reelseat..both of em are knackered on my rods

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well ....! I was quite looking forward to testing Tat this weekend but not so sure now! The balance seems to suggest disaster! Ho-he! The reel seat really does seem under-engineered, almost as if the builder copied a photograph of one! Forwarned is forearmed so it'll get a dose of lubricant now!

Bet you that I'll bait up both and send them fishing and the biggest/most fish will fall to Tatty Thompson, just before it becomes Ta-Ta Thompson. Tell you what though if it breaks 'in-the-line-of-duty' they'll be having it back!

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
What I've found with these cheap reel seats is that the guide channel on top of the rod is not deep enough, either that or the dimple in the metal isn't so what happens is the metal piece that actually holds the reel twists and jams. If you check it's position every time you turn it it should be OK

·
Banned
396 Posts
me n the wife bought 2 ron thompson combos when we switched 2 the sea, we used um 4 a couple of years before gerrin more exspensive stuff, we still have the combos and all i can say is they do ron ron ron..............bad 1 i no time 4 bed

·
Registered
465 Posts
Its the bait or lure that catches the fish, it matters not a jot who or whats on the end of the line :D

Ryan.

·
Master Blanker
3,582 Posts
i have a ron thompson superior, and i just use it for feathering. the wife wants to take up fishing so she can use this one............ but you are right, the reel seat is poor, and it takes a bit if work to get a fixed spool off.

·
Registered
73 Posts
marcus said:
i put £5 that the first thing to go wrong with that superior will be the reel seat...you will be packing up one day...and realise now matter how far you turn it,,the reel wont come off..

hheeehee :cool:
Thats happened to mine still not a bad rod for what i paid for it into the second year and still using it

·
Welsh Dangler
3,340 Posts
When I started boat fishing last summer, I bought a Ron thompson superior uptide combo to get me started. It's been ok so far landed ray, conger,doggies, whiting and tope on it.

When/if i get seriously into boatfishing I'll upgrade but for the amount of times a year I use it (around 5 times), it'll do for now. :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts