World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got any stories of people cheating in matches, or cases of extreme rule bending?

One year in the Zziplex Southern League, the penultimate match was fished at Pevensey Bay on a neap tide and brisk wind. There had been no fish caught all week, and it looked unlikely many would return to the scales. Just one sizeable fish could have made the difference between failure and success (and qualifying for the finals!) This particular night I was fishing next to a well known Hampshire angler with a big nose. He came wandering over with another guy in tow. This turned out to be someone I knew from a different team. I was asked to verify that a so called caught whiting was actually very suspicious. On inspection the fish was very dead, very cold and slightly solid in the middle! It's colour was a very "dead grey". I was asked to countersign a written complaint, against the other guy, for cheating. This I did, and in the pub afterwards the "cheat" admitted it was just a hoax, although he tried to get the fish signed in!
Usually, anyone caught cheating would be banned from fishing, but one of his team mates was a big f*cker and started threatening to cave a few heads in, so the organisers backed down and let him continue to fish!! The following season, the offending angler gave up fishing!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Interesting story, i know of an occurance when somebody actually poured small lead split shot down several fishes throats to increase the weight of their fish. For this cheating they were expelled from the club and became a bit of a local laughing stock from there after. It has being a regular occurance in coarse fishing matches with people taking live fish to matches with them! In a local club match one angler had fished throughout the day and caught a bag of fish, before the match he pulled his keepnet out with fish in and put it in his carryall. After the draw he then shot to his peg and threw his net in, the only problem was that he had being seen carrying his fish to the peg. Apart from not doing the fish a lot of good beong out the water his devious plan backfired and he was shot out the club and never allowed to return to the venue again. I dare say most have stories of cheating or match fixing, however i only pleasure fish these days as i find the pace a little more relaxing:)

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Anyone got any stories of people cheating in matches, or cases of extreme rule bending?

One year in the Zziplex Southern League, the penultimate match was fished at Pevensey Bay on a neap tide and brisk wind. There had been no fish caught all week, and it looked unlikely many would return to the scales. Just one sizeable fish could have made the difference between failure and success (and qualifying for the finals!) This particular night I was fishing next to a well known Hampshire angler with a big nose. He came wandering over with another guy in tow. This turned out to be someone I knew from a different team. I was asked to verify that a so called caught whiting was actually very suspicious. On inspection the fish was very dead, very cold and slightly solid in the middle! It's colour was a very "dead grey". I was asked to countersign a written complaint, against the other guy, for cheating. This I did, and in the pub afterwards the "cheat" admitted it was just a hoax, although he tried to get the fish signed in!
Usually, anyone caught cheating would be banned from fishing, but one of his team mates was a big f*cker and started threatening to cave a few heads in, so the organisers backed down and let him continue to fish!! The following season, the offending angler gave up fishing!
Why!!! Whatever do you mean.....
Are we talking stretching,bait restriction side steps,dubious tackle arrangements,pre-caught fish,catch and return ruler trimming,cooking the paperwork,peg shuffling ,the 5 minute disappearing act between beach and weigh in ..:unsure:
To name but a few.......

C

·
0 Posts
I would suggest that any replies to this thread be very carefully thought out. Anything that could identify somebody accused of cheating would leave this site wide open to legal action. No names or identifying features must be mentioned nor even a particular match where somebody was accused of cheating especially if it was not proved in court etc.
Please be careful!!!

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Cascars at the Essex V Kent match at Dungie, I heard he had a herring in his knickers :secret:

I would suggest that any replies to this thread be very carefully thought out. Anything that could identify somebody accused of cheating would leave this site wide open to legal action. No names or identifying features must be mentioned nor even a particular match where somebody was accused of cheating especially if it was not proved in court etc.
Please be careful!!!
W00ps :kissing:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Their was a case of anglers stretching fish just to get them in size limit .Did a comp once at the weigh in the angler tried to weigh in fish that were a day old banned from all matches

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why!!! Whatever do you mean.....
Are we talking stretching,bait restriction side steps,dubious tackle arrangements,pre-caught fish,catch and return ruler trimming,cooking the paperwork,peg shuffling ,the 5 minute disappearing act between beach and weigh in ..:unsure:
To name but a few.......
You seem very knowledgable on the subject! ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
A few years ago I fished a bass festival and during the match I caught 2 dogfish which seemed to be better than the average for anglers near me and was considering whether to weigh them in. With about 10 minutes to go the angler next to me packed in fishing and as he was walking off he offered me the 1 dogfish he caught in return for the price of a pint!. Neadless to say I refused but it lead me to think what else may be going on!!!!!.

·
The Ego
6,046 Posts
I have fished matches where the organisers, work out when to draw their peg, due to amount of decent pegs left. I have also known somebody to have taken the hot peg and then told everybody that he had drawn it earlier on.
These people still fish matches.

·
Registered
27 Posts
In a small local boat competition I was at, a man had put weights down the throat of his pollack but of course was caught due to the fact his tiny fish weighed a tonne....:uhuh: ..Dont know why he did it there was no cash prize or anything.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
There used to be a guy around here who must have had an A level in cheating, he used to pre-catch fish, & stake them on sandbanks in the estuaries, then cast over them & have a "snap off" then he would go & retrieve his "snapped off trace" & whilst he was there tie the trace with the fish on it onto his line. It took a while for people to twig that he never reeled his snapped off line in, & when he did there was a trace attached!:nonono:
He asked me to sign for a dogfish one day, when he returned from a very long walk up the beach, I refused as it wasn't still on the trace, & there was significant "rigor mortis" in the thing, but someone else signed his card.
Last I heard he had been permanently banned from all Association & Opens Comps in the area, dont know if he still is1:g:
blueskip

·
Registered
2,280 Posts

yeah i remember that dsd .... thought there was gonna be a riot i was underneath the table just in case it kicked off.. the big f#ker as you call him went by another name as well" bullet head" he was a big mamma indeed...

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Not cheating....but the funniest incident award must go to the 5 man team
MEMBER who forgot to get his bag search signature.....cost the team £1000 ?:bangin:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts