World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most people I know down here fish off boats and I don't know that many. Started fishing only some months ago.

I'd appreciate any advice with regard to best Chesil beach angling tides and best tides for the bill.. (I'm closer to the Cove side but can travel). So far I've tried only the pre and post flood period on local advise. A lot of dogfish, pollock, whiting and a couple of bass my misses took close to shore :-(

Many thanks in advance. Trying to learn the best I can with limited experience :) Best

Izzy

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
i'm having the same problem at the moment, but what you suggested about pre and post flood is a good place to start. But i have found that i this time of year fishing is good at any state of tide. i frequently check this site so please post how you get and i will do likewise. good luck and happy fishing

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Chesil is a very hard beach to get to grips with, one day it fishes its head off and the next it will leave feeling gutted.

Its very difficult to judge the exact best tides as in my opinion its not to do with the exact time of the high or low tide but at what stage the tide is at regarding dircetion of flow.

It always seems to fish best during the big springs when flowing left to right so that all the neutrients from around the rocky headland of portland are forced back along the beach with the tide, this in turn brings the small fish in to feed and the big predators then follow.

As for conditions, well its nearly always best just following a real good blow that has left the beach unfishable for about a week.

Portland Bass Hunter

&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will be watching your replies with interest. Having a bash at Sea fishing to see if it 'grabs me' . When the Government allow me to retire! and this (and West Bay) will be my hunting ground. Hope toi see you around. Cheers, Tony.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Part of the fun is learning - but of course it takes time.

I know aboslutely nothing about Chesil, but the same principle applies to all spots.

To begin with, pick a couple of spots and fish them often. Try every combination of tide/time/weather that you can, use different baits/tactics and most importantly keep detailed notes. Gradually you will build up a picture of what's happening and some surprising trends can crop up. Then you can make your own conclusions and you may even well learn a little trick or two about a mark that others who stick to the 'tried and trusted' dont know.

Enjoy :)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the advice. Is there a general 'rule of thumb' with regard to fishing while its raining and a kind of limit to the amount of wind one could beach fish in (provided a sinker could hold in)? I mean is there any use in trying to fish in less favourable weather down on the south coast or should one seek a calmer sheltered spot?

I was chatting to two Codmen planning to do Chesil yesterday and they were planning on meeting at 2 am after the winds dropped a bit. Got my bait, was all ready but when I got up it was pouring rain and there was a fair bit of wind (and I could hear the beach from home which means its rough), so tucked myself back in. Now regret it. Should have gone to see at least if they had gone out or were winding me up :)

i.e. I see the photos and watch videos of people fishing some rough weather and seas but would a fish really be in that turmoil just beside a beach? Tnx and best

Izzy

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Chesil generally fishes better during or after a good blow, however, as you are no doubt aware (being a fellow local) that Chesil can be a very dangerous place.

I personally will not fish it in South or South West winds stronger than a F5-6 as it throws up some huge waves, some of which are true rouge ones which will catch you out in the blink of an eye.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Bass Hunter, appreciated. I've so far fished off the cranes, the bill, ferry bridge and abbotsbury but fish mostly this side of the beach generally from infront of old Parrys or just down off the iron spikes, as its so close to home. If you see a dark green Toyota van parked there, I'm on the beach :) Perhaps see you one day. Thinking of joining the local club soon too.
Best / Izzy

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Tony, (Mature Student)

Nice to see you posting again, Have you been away. Give me a shout when you next fish out of West Bay and if available I will meet up with you.

Like yourself I cant wait to retire and move to the area.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hi Izzy,

We've been giving Chesil as miss recently as it has been fishign very poor for the last month or so, instead we've been trying all the marks that we have been meaning to fish for a couple of years int he area with good results so far.

In the last 3 weeks we've had: -

8 x Bass upto 3.5lb
3 x Pollack upto 3lb
1 x Doggie
1 x Plaice about 1lb
2 x whiting around 3/4lb

All of these have come from very local marks that do not get fished as everyone is drawn to Chesil all the time.

I'm purposly not giving away the exact location at the moment as we are the only people fishing there, but as a clue I will say look at the wind direction and when its coming from the East, South-East or South then the wind is in your face!

Merry Xmas

Portland Bass Hunter

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
> East, South-East or South then the wind is in your face!

Cheers for that! :) Chesil's been really dull as you said. Other than a lot of dogfish and a bass my other half managed to get at Abbotsbury, had nothing over 3 weeks now. There was a period of whiting last month and it just stopped. Funny though we did get 2 mackarel between us..

Starting a 10 day holiday tomorrow and right after Xmas will do nothing but fish and relax... or so is the plan. :)) Thanks for the advice and Merry Christmas!..

Izzy

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Izzy,

Many thanks.

Drew

&

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There seems to be a load of people all having a bash at this Sea fishing lark and all within the chesil Beach/ Bill area. Is it against the rules to organise a meeting somewhere and exchange what little we know? Maybe a more experienced angler may tell us where we are going wrong? Cheers, Tony.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts