World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
portlnd1.jpg

The walk never get's any better & it's important to remember the journey there is the good bit...

Beach1123.jpg

Steve managed a bream on feathers while Dave was plucking them out on bait upto 1lb 4oz but he also found a lovely gurnard.

IMG_2391.jpg

I have never known the feathering to be such an ordeal, the sea had rafts of weed at 15 yards out and beyond so we were working hard for or two mackerel every few chucks and spending most of our time plucking weed off the line and tip eye. I managed 32 in an hour or so which really was the objective (the bait freezer).

Beach11.jpg

A nice onshore was blowing which gave us hope that something good may show.

Beach112.jpg

I was too busy feathering when the best of the sunset happened but I decided it looked to similar to the skies I had taken pics of on previous trips.

macks1.jpg

I actually turned up on the session without any bait so I was pretty pleased to have quickly got enough mackerel for the session at least and pretty inspired to have such fresh bait. During the past 3 week I have been out once for one short session locally which only produced a dropped plaice in 3 hours. To say I am out of love with fishing lately is an understatement, targeting tope is breaking me bit by bit and I am no closer. This session I put 2 live scad out at dusk on pulley rigs (as there was too much weed for sliders initially).

Steve called me saying he was in so I whipped my mobile phone out and managed to capture him reeling this in:

The footage may have been grainy from the old phone but I do love the still photo with a hint of the last of the light on the horizon.

WSFUndulate1.jpg

Steve looked happy enough and the 3 of us felt it may just get going and that was the start....

T8ooChesil1.jpg

But with only straps and dogs after dark it proved to be a long night sat on the shingle, though a warm one and I can't say it was unpleasant, though I would have preferred to have had a boat to go back as carrying the 25 mackerel I had saved for the freezer and my gear sort of reminded me of that film "The Way Back" where they hike from Russia to India, a light exaggeration perhaps but you get the picture, Bridging Camp is no picnic. I think a rock session is on the horizon for me, we all agreed this was a session to forget about.

Roll on Ascension Island....

·
Registered
581 Posts
well done guys! keep at it Chris hopefully you get the reward you deserve frustrating targeting a particular species and nothing to show for it, will make all the more rewarding when you do land that big tope. Nice to have a vid of the action along with the quality pictures.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
Did you find the Mackerel a bit soft Chris , I bought 30 home with me Sunday morning and froze them but I don't know what they'll be like. I gutted /headed them and kept them in a cool box but they still seemed soft when I got home

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you find the Mackerel a bit soft Chris , I bought 30 home with me Sunday morning and froze them but I don't know what they'll be like. I gutted /headed them and kept them in a cool box but they still seemed soft when I got home
The ones I chopped up were firm enough as bait but it's not ideal catching them at dusk and sticking them in the freezer at dawn, most still had their iridescence though. I may top up from my local piers this week if they are about.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Rocks, yes! I am itching for Cornwall next week for that simple reason. Great little trip, it can only get better from now.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Cheers Chris, always love a video

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its been the same all year mate, one good fish per sesh.... lets hope the fishing fairy increases our allowance soon!. Nice photos as always.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did a bit of a long sesh last week and the macks I caught at last light were a bit squidgy by dawn..... I wonder if its down to diet.... it was definitely noticeable.
The flesh was "squishing" out in tubes from the upper back as I was chunking them.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some lovely photos there well done
Cheers ;)

well done guys! keep at it Chris hopefully you get the reward you deserve frustrating targeting a particular species and nothing to show for it, will make all the more rewarding when you do land that big tope. Nice to have a vid of the action along with the quality pictures.
Thanks mate, just trying to replenish the enthusiasm for a session tomorrow.

Rocks, yes! I am itching for Cornwall next week for that simple reason. Great little trip, it can only get better from now.
Good luck, nice part of the world, species don't count though :p

Cheers Chris, always love a video
Always good when something comes in with some daylight left in the sky. Need a few flood lights to pull it off at night. Cheers

Well done mate. Lets get back out in he purbecks soon!
Nice to see the bream showing up!!
Yes mate - soon

Its been the same all year mate, one good fish per sesh.... lets hope the fishing fairy increases our allowance soon!. Nice photos as always.
Cheers Pedro. Same old...

Brilliant Photos as always Chris

Really looking forward to Ascension Blog and Pics

Clive
Thanks a lot Clive ;)

good read and photos , worth the walk guys
Cheers Kev, well thats a matter of opinion :)

Cracking pics as always Chris.

How long 'til Ascension ?

Cheers,
Dave
Still a couple of months... it will pass quickly (I hope). Cheers

Lovely report and photography
Em
Thanks a lot :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts