World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Chesil Cove on July 25th about 100yds or so from the pub towards Portland from 2pm-midnight

Usual first cast wrasse on rag followed by another wrasse and a small black bream. Was feathering continuously and caught half a dozen or so mackerel but no gars depsite the oily groundbait I put out.

About five ish I was trying to decide whether I had a fish on when the ratchet fizzed and I struk into a nice fish. It put up a decent fight on the lighter tackle, Tip Tornado Ultra Lite, and I was slightly disapointed to see it wasn't the trigger I was hoping for. It was however a black bream, 43cm long and on my scales weighed a little over 3lb with a wrasse of about a 1lb on the other hook:victory::victory:. I've tried to attach a picture I took on my mobile. Came on half a squid head on a size 4 hook. Got a few people trying to buy it off me which was odd.

Quitened down a bit after that, few dogs in darkness, a scad, a pout (or was it a poor cod?:unsure:)

No bass, rays, conger, gurnards, red mullet or triggers which was a bit of a shame. My three year old son was angry because I didn't bring him a bass home.

Last time I was down there, 4 weeks ago, the rag was outstanding, really good quality and some of them were so big they would have had Steve Irwin scared but yesterday they were a bit poor in my opinion, a bit soggy and prone to breaking.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and the bream tasted beautiful steamed with ginger and topped with spring onions and fried garlic. Lovely.

·
Crinkly line
2,643 Posts
Oh and the bream tasted beautiful steamed with ginger and topped with spring onions and fried garlic. Lovely.
Well done mate, thats a very nice size bream, I had one 2lb 12oz last time I was at chesel. took 2 large peelers on a 5,0 pennel aimed at a big bass or smut! Greedy little thing.

They are my faverout eating fish, A lot tastyer then the (very nice) but over rated bass.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
They also make good conger bait.

·
South Coast Forum Moderator
1,603 Posts
I bet it did!! Lovely eating those bream and your recipe is a perfect one for them.

Never a bad session when you can have a feed like that mate.

Well done. :clap:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Nice bream m8, on par with my best from there four years ago. Next time I catch one I'll know where to come to cook it as my wife hates fish!
If you want triggers move uptowards the Landing craft/Adelaide section.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all.

Conger bait!!

You're right, tastier than bass although I'm told red bream are better eating than black bream.

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Thanks all.

Conger bait!!

You're right, tastier than bass although I'm told red bream are better eating than black bream.
YES!!!great conger bait!bream are as pesky as maki at weymouth,so just chop en in half,and stick a 10/0 hook in!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts