World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Staying and working in Portland for the week so made the most of the calm weather this afternoon and had my quota of socially distanced exercise at Chesil cove. Only bait was the frozen blacks and dirty squid that I packed to take away with me. Fished from 12 - 4, small tides so very little tide moving in the cove. Couple of small wrasse on the rise and then plagued by pouting from highwater onwards, wouldn't have minded the pouting if they were big enough to notice on the retrieve.

strong winds tomorrow so may have a couple of hours somewhere sheltered like Portland harbour, been told there are still a few gilt head and bass being caught. Going to try sandsfoot castle end to get unless anybody has any better suggestions.

Have placed my worm order with Weymouth Angling ready for Thursday, if anybody is heading down this way to fish, they are open for phone order, collection everyday between 9-3 at the door. Also ordered a couple of squid jigs as I thought it would be a bit of fun catching a couple to use as bait later in the week. Not sure if ive missed the boat for squid season down here and starting to wish I'd just spend the jig money on a couple of packs of frozen!

will hopefully update this post of Thursday!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Lee, I was at Sandsfoot a month ago and the weed was still very prolific. It's also very very shallow off Sandsfoot beach. If you know where the old torpedo factory was [now a housing estate] I'm told a long cast from the little strip of beach there gets you into a deeper channel. Have seen locals fishing there for the Bream.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have had to thread three pout on the hook to make a decent size live bait today.

Thanks for the advise SPR, I am staying in a house right next to sandsfoot so plan to walk down the steps and head left, there are a couple of areas along there with small pebble beaches, weed is terrible but a 30yard lob gets you over the reef and in to deeper water. Going to try the bouncy ball rig that we use in the Bristol Channel for fishing into rock/kelp beds. I think the area you are talking about is on the sandsfoot side of the harbour but towards the fleet? If the weed is bad i think i will take your advice and head that way as its only a five min walk along the cycle path.

may see if i can pick up a few squid on the pier first and keep them alive, never tried live baiting a squid, got to be worth a go.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Lee, we stayed directly opposite the little cafe at Sandsfoot so literally a few hundred yards from where you are. I never made it to the left of the steps but looking along there it looked more boulders than pebbles ? Wind direction was wrong for Sandsfoot apart from one evening and I'd just got me eyes adjusted to the darkness when a couple of families turned up shining torches everywhere and then lit a bloody great bonfire - that was my lure fishing session over and done with !!!
Correct about the directions for the torpedo factory beach - follow the Rodwell Trail and just before you get to the end you'll see the remnants of the old testing pier on your left on the bank and an information board, there's a couple of areas where you can get down on to the small sliver of beach but the water does come all the way to the bank on big tides so be aware !
As for the squid, you'll know if they're there by the amount of ink stains on the pleasure pier/car park area - it was like Blackpool illuminations one night when I walked down there, must have been at least 50 people fishing = absolute chaos !

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry for the late response, dropped my phone on the rocks whilst fishing to the left of sandsfoot and cracked the screen, I was hoping to send an update at the end of the week when I finally returned home only to find both my kids are home from school because of an a kid with covid in the school, with all their online learning I could not get near the bloody computer!

SPR, you may have stayed in the same house, opposite the park and castle and next to a lane/road that takes you up to the cycle path. cream stone faced house with a driveway to the side?

Anyway back to the fishing...........

Fished the pier on Wednesday, loads fishing for squid, only two caught all evening and I had one of them. Squid fishing was very slow so decided to have a go on the bottom as the lad on the end of the pier had managed a couple of small bass in between the pouting. I kept the hood for dinner and fished the tentacles on small circle hooks. Loads of tiny pout and a small eel was all I had to show for my effort. Gave up a couple of hours after high water.

Was going to fish chesil on Thursday but the wind had changed. Gave the harbour a go on the reef to the left of Sandsfoot. Dropped my phone whilst setting up and smashed the screen, not a great start. fished from low to high, crabs were a massive problem, didnt have any floating beads so cut up a foam float and used a piece on a hair rig rig to pop the worm up a foot of the bottom, managed a couple of small wrasse on rag worm.

Half day on Friday so fished low water up in front of the fleet car park, winds were okay and were due to drop during the evening. Lots of small pouting and whiting from the off, tried going up to a 6/0 pennel with several worms wrapped in squid but the little buggers still managed to strip the bait. tried a whiting popped up off the bottom in the gutter but nothing happening. Hoped it would improve on the approach to high but the BBC weather forcast had been wrong and instead of the winds dropping they started to pick up making fishing really uncomfortable. Gave up an hour before high and headed home.

not a very productive week but I did catch my first ever squid which was a bonus.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
Nice report and damaging your phone was unfortunate

Chesil has been very disappointing over the past month and with all the rough weather you would think there would have been plenty of Cod and I think it's getting a too late for them to show now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great reading! I live a couple streets inland from sandsfoot castle and always wondered what it fishes like! Moved here in may and mostly fish the piers chesil, and Preston - I think the stretch between castle cove will be good for flounder in the winter! Had a conger, pout, mackerel and pollock off stone pier yesterday!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hi Lee, well you gave it a go and at least you caught something. I know the house you mean but it wasn't that one - we were directly opposite the little cafe at Sandsfoot [Sea King House].

Mike, I envy you living down there ! Did you read the bit I said about the Whitehead torpedo factory beach [now a housing estate, Whitehead Drive opposite side of the roundabout to Chesil Vista Holiday Park] ? Easterly winds and big tides are apparently the time to fish there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Cheers spr, yes I know of the old torpedo site, you can still see the structure as I’ve kayaked over it - very shallow but worth a try for flounder and the channel to the fleet and Smallmouth cove runs close! Might try at the weekend!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts