World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here fished Chesil cove? I've never really heard anyone talk about fishing it. I've seen lots about Abbottsbury, West Bexington, The Dragon's Teeth etc, but nothing much on the beach side towards Portland. Is there a reason for that? Do people not bother?

If they have bothered, what are you fishing on to? How soon do the rocks from the Portland side reach whatever it is underwater at the beach? There's a seems to be a decent coastal path from the road across the top of the rocks as Portland starts near the cove. Can you get down to the water from this?

If you could let me know I'd be very interested.

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
A lot of people don't fish it as it's very snaggy so you lose a lot of gear. And if you follow the path around there's a beach there you can fish but will lose gear again

·
Registered
463 Posts
Full of divers in the summer when calm. Snaggy ground. Other marks are better. Three reasons why it's not mentioned a great deal. If you do want to fish that end of the beach probably best to go no further east than masonic car park as the divers rarely go that far west.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A lot of people don't fish it as it's very snaggy so you lose a lot of gear. And if you follow the path around there's a beach there you can fish but will lose gear again
To be honest, I'm looking for a bit a confidence session. Stick me on any lake, river, canal and I'm pretty confident I'll catch fish. Sea fishing is not something I've done for a good few years and need to get back into the swing of it. Both literally and from a casting point of view. Also, looking at the tides I'd be fishing an evening, on to low so I may need to come up with another option. I fished Aberthaw (in South Wales) with my brother last year for hounds. Honestly, losing gear almost every cast was a complete ball ache, and I said then, losing gear this regularly would easily put people off.

So may try Abbottsbury. Depending on the time I get there go for a stroll I best further east.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Prior to the big storms a couple of years ago, the pub on the sea front used to indicate where the mixed ground was between the rough and cleaner stuff. Since the storms I don't know as now moved away.

You could fish that area and expect some snags but not horrendous amounts.

Divers are your source of good local information like that when they want to give it up.

A good FB site and for regular pics of the conditions can be found here:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/diveportland/

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the above Facebook group link. Have joined.

Never fished further than Masonic car park myself. Will generally lose a set of gear eastern end of Chesil per session and rarely lose anything the further West you go.
Anywhere you can suggest, fishing to low tide +2h which may produce something. Happy with dog fish and pouting. But will obviously be slinging a squid 40/50 yards for something a bit larger too.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Fish anywhere on Chesil at the moment at night and you will catch all the Dogfish you want. Fish sandeel on a 3/0 pennel for Rays and its a Dog a cast .Instead of fishing the cove walk over the wooden bridge at the Chesil beach centre and fish anywhere to the right.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Paul where do you live as I live in Weymouth and fish chesil fairly often so we could meet up and have a try but it is fish poor down Portland end. I think you need to leave it a month for the bream, gurnard and hounds to show up in numbers for the fishing to get better but if you just want to get a dog try fishing in darkness or when the water is dirty sand eel or squid will get you them

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Paul where do you live as I live in Weymouth and fish chesil fairly often so we could meet up and have a try but it is fish poor down Portland end. I think you need to leave it a month for the bream, gurnard and hounds to show up in numbers for the fishing to get better but if you just want to get a dog try fishing in darkness or when the water is dirty sand eel or squid will get you them
I live in weymouth as well mate so dont mind helping you out. Mainly fish weekends though if your free
Chaps, I live about 35 minutes away from Abbottsbury just off the a37 in East Coker. I was looking at the various distances today, working out which place was closest for me. Would be very happy to meet up with you guys at some point to get some advice and a helping hand!

Still slowly acquiring tackle (under Mrs M's radar). Looking for a shakey box currently.

C

·
0 Posts
East of Ferrybridge there are specific marks and gaps in the structure. The later in the year you go the bigger the kelp gets down that end. Truth is if you are only casting 50 yards you will NOT lose any gear as long as you stay 200m west of the cove you wont be getting far enough to get into the structure. If you are fishing high to low then this part of chesil does offer you the better chance of dogs and pout but little else.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
East of Ferrybridge there are specific marks and gaps in the structure. The later in the year you go the bigger the kelp gets down that end. Truth is if you are only casting 50 yards you will NOT lose any gear as long as you stay 200m west of the cove you wont be getting far enough to get into the structure. If you are fishing high to low then this part of chesil does offer you the better chance of dogs and pout but little else.
Thanks for that. I've been trying to work out where the rock begins and the beach ends. I suppose I'll be slinging one about 120/130 and another half that and working the space between. I may try Abbottsbury, or West Bexington. I had a look at getting to East Bexington but there's no where to leave your car unless you faced a right slog!

Still trying to decide where to go at the moment. Although I do have an evening pass from Mrs M! Wooohooo!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
Hi,
Also if you do fish Portland end near the Cove Inn pub if it is calm you can always float fish for the Garfish and Mackerel.
You could also use feathers and get Mackerel for bait although not around in big numbers I did manage some off there last week.

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
In that case the other place to catch Garfish on the float is at the Stone pier at Weymouth.
We did not get any there last week but would not think it will be long before they show there.
Good luck.

C

·
0 Posts
I fished the Cove before Xmas a couple of times, straight down from the end of the ramp in front of some boats. Five hours and no tackle lost.
Three of us fished one evening, two of us lost no tackle, one lost every rig until he moved 10 yards. I've fished much snaggier places, it is nothing like as bad as it was before the big storm. There's no real need to go for a big distance down there, the biggest fish are not always far away.
If you are float fishing keep the line off the shingle, it's all too easy to forget about that until the float goes under and you strike into the line that's buried in the shingle.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you type in 'Chesil Cove diving' into YouTube you will be able to watch several videos showing the bottom and structure. The 2014 storms levelled out a lot of the bottom but since then the sea has exposed the rocks again. As a rule the further towards the Cove pub the less structure. I live on the lane that leads up to the Cove and have fished that part of the beach on numerous occasions catching pollack, mackerel, ream, if wrasse and many doggies! That said it is very much hit and miss.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I fished the Cove before Xmas a couple of times, straight down from the end of the ramp in front of some boats. Five hours and no tackle lost.
Three of us fished one evening, two of us lost no tackle, one lost every rig until he moved 10 yards. I've fished much snaggier places, it is nothing like as bad as it was before the big storm. There's no real need to go for a big distance down there, the biggest fish are not always far away.
If you are float fishing keep the line off the shingle, it's all too easy to forget about that until the float goes under and you strike into the line that's buried in the shingle.
If you type in 'Chesil Cove diving' into YouTube you will be able to watch several videos showing the bottom and structure. The 2014 storms levelled out a lot of the bottom but since then the sea has exposed the rocks again. As a rule the further towards the Cove pub the less structure. I live on the lane that leads up to the Cove and have fished that part of the beach on numerous occasions catching pollack, mackerel, ream, if wrasse and many doggies! That said it is very much hit and miss.
Thanks getting back to me. It's really great speaking to people who are willing to give up some information on venues/areas of Chesil. It does seem as though this place fishes better the more into summer you go, so maybe this weekend isn't the best option. Hopefully after a few sessions I'll have more of an idea about Chesil, but from a lot of reading it sounds like no 2 days are ever the same on the place. Especially currently with a algae and the crabs!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts