World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First trip for a while following the untimely death of my Dad - my fishing buddy for the last 50 years.
Bought some bait from Tom in Abbo on Saturday evening and set the alarm for 5:00am to catch the top of the tide. Arrived at the car park to find my head torch batteries had died... Not a good start! Walked up the road and found a spot near the cottages. Plan was to fish a pulley dropper with big worm and squid baits for cod on one rod and a wishbone dropper on the second rod with lug/blacks/rag for plaice.
First cast was out by 6:00am and was later greeted with a small dog fish who had taken a liking to 2 large, fat blacks.... Second rod was quiet. Put the dogfish back, reloaded and cast out..... Wind was making casting easy and even with my slightly unorthodox technique, I was putting the bait out a good distance.
A drop back in the line on the cod bait...... Tightened and felt some weight..... Weed? I kept reeling in and in the semi dark of dawn was greeted by a large lump of fish... A cod. A big cod! I couldn’t believe my eyes! Hauled it up the beach and stifled a scream of delight! Baited up again, cast out and sat in a state of shock.... Eventually, I wandered over to my neighbour and asked if he had any scales (thanks for that).... Lifted the fish.... 16.5 lbs! Now that’s a fish! A second decent - but dwarfed in comparison - cod soon joined me on the beach and the rest of the morning was quiet apart from the odd mackerel on the retrieve. Packed in around 10:30 - filleted the fish as there was no way I was dragging that lump back to the car park! Hope there are a few more caught today.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
That's bait in my area

In reality a fantastic session, very well done, you'll have to get a camera mount if your gonna catch fish like that !

1 - 20 of 48 Posts