World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be going to visit relatives in Portland next weekend from Friday to Sunday and am hoping to fish every day and hopefully throw in a night session also.

What baits and tactics work best for Chesil and what am I likely to catch? .. I'm hoping to fish the Wales V England match also so believe some practice is in order.

I've fished around the cliffs of Portland also with little success but have heard that marks around the island can fish well. Has anyone ever fished this area? If so I'd appreciate any advice.

I would have posted in the South Coast forum but believe I'll have more replies from you lot and also think that Chesil tactics will be handy for anyone fishing the Wales England match.. Thanks

·
Registered
119 Posts
Fished both Chesil and portland on a few occasions, never caught much on the shingle bank but have had a few bumber days on the ledges in front of the lighthouse, with good catches of wrass and pollock coming to Rag ledgered on the bottom close in, would also give a float a go there,
Mike

·
Registered
261 Posts
hello mate i fish chesil alot, i got a van down west bay {bridport}, west bexington is a good mark but alot of tourist mackeral fishing, also abbotsbury is a good mark and eype, alot of spider crabs present, as exspected this time of year, crab worm baits all good fresh mackeral best, exspect to catch plaice, bass, doggys ,bream, gurnard,pollack and wrasse, i caught a 5lb bass at abbotsbury lastweek and 2 bream, all on worm and macky, best tmes to fish early evening or morning when tourist have gone home or in bed, hope this helps tight lines:bye1:

·
MARCHING ON TOGETHER!
10,506 Posts
I'll be going to visit relatives in Portland next weekend from Friday to Sunday and am hoping to fish every day and hopefully throw in a night session also.

What baits and tactics work best for Chesil and what am I likely to catch? .. I'm hoping to fish the Wales V England match also so believe some practice is in order.

I've fished around the cliffs of Portland also with little success but have heard that marks around the island can fish well. Has anyone ever fished this area? If so I'd appreciate any advice.

I would have posted in the South Coast forum but believe I'll have more replies from you lot and also think that Chesil tactics will be handy for anyone fishing the Wales England match.. Thanks
OK FELLOW TAFFIA MEMBER SUSS THE PLACE OUT FOR US IE CHESSIL .PICS AS WELL IF POSS AND WHAT BAIT ANG RIGS WE SHOULD BE USING ABOUT SEPT ISH LOL.IN FACT ANY INFO THAT HELPS US BEAT THE RABBLE LOL..ANDY ILSF

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fished both Chesil and portland on a few occasions, never caught much on the shingle bank but have had a few bumber days on the ledges in front of the lighthouse, with good catches of wrass and pollock coming to Rag ledgered on the bottom close in, would also give a float a go there,
Mike

Thanks for the reply mate, I know the ledges your speaking of. Never fished there myself but will definitely give it a go. When I was there last it looked very weedy, did you cast over this or just basically cast on top?

hello mate i fish chesil alot, i got a van down west bay {bridport}, west bexington is a good mark but alot of tourist mackeral fishing, also abbotsbury is a good mark and eype, alot of spider crabs present, as exspected this time of year, crab worm baits all good fresh mackeral best, exspect to catch plaice, bass, doggys ,bream, gurnard,pollack and wrasse, i caught a 5lb bass at abbotsbury lastweek and 2 bream, all on worm and macky, best tmes to fish early evening or morning when tourist have gone home or in bed, hope this helps tight lines:bye1:
Thanks for the reply, very much appreciated. Could you tell me what state of the tide fishes best and also if the marks you've mentioned fish well at night?. I'd like to catch bream as I've never caught one, would a simple 2 hook flapper be ok to use and if so are small hooks and baits needed?.. Also is it best to use a normal or grip lead and are heavy weights needed to hold bottom?.. Sorry for all the questions mate and congratulations on the bass :thumbs: Thanks again for the info

OK FELLOW TAFFIA MEMBER SUSS THE PLACE OUT FOR US IE CHESSIL .PICS AS WELL IF POSS AND WHAT BAIT ANG RIGS WE SHOULD BE USING ABOUT SEPT ISH LOL.IN FACT ANY INFO THAT HELPS US BEAT THE RABBLE LOL..ANDY ILSF
I'll take plenty of pics mate and will write a detailed report when I get back.. I'll ask other anglers plenty of questions too and let you know if they give any good info :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,723 Posts

Best bet mate is head for Abbotsbury this time of year --- dont fish directly in front of car park --walk up to the left till you reach some Big concrete blocks on the shingle (The Dragons Teeth) --If this walk is too hard for you (it is hard walk) then walk up to the right along road till you reach first house and fish far side of bushes/gorse that are on top of bank .
I wouldnt bother fishing during day unless you want macky or perhaps a lonely bass (If its dead flat you can get bream but they tend to be up by the "wreck" at portland) best bet is set up in the evening over flooding tide feather few macky for fresh bait till dusk and then fish into dark.
Fish one rod with fish and or worm baits and one with crab --you will defo catch catch mate even if its loads of pout and dogs. They do get good numbers of hounds most tho are under 5lb but still good fun and the pollock and bass really tend to start at dusk. Tightlines YATOES

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes it is a bit weedy, but a short cast of upto 30 yrds should see you pick up some Ballan wrasse, cracking sport too, i've had them to around 5lb from there, brilliant, also fished abbotsbury a few times, just caught the odd dab and flounder, you could try west fleet by crossing the small channel before the bank, found that a little more productive

·
Registered
594 Posts
Head down the portland end of chesil beach to the furthest car park by the dive centre there is a pay and display sign there head straight over the top of the beach inline with the sign this time of year will see triggers, gurnard, bream, bass (close in) gar fish on the float (4 foot drop) and a really long cast will put you on some rough ground for wrasse i have fished this mark for years and had loads of fun there good luck with your trip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts