World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all you southerners!
anyone fished chesil recently? if so, hows it fishing, i got a match at the cove soon and havnt fished it for a while. cheers

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
can't help you there but the last time i was down there, when we had that almighty thunderstorm i was putting some sand bags on the tent when i looked at my rod and it was bent right over. as i ran down to it and grabbed it ,whatever was on the end pulled so hard it actually pulled me round and while it is easy to say, my rod really was pulled almost in half. and then my hook lenght gave out. i had only just gone up to 18lb hook lengths and it was the very first time i had used crab. could someone please tell me what it could have been.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh, forgot to mention it may have been a huge ray, theres been some huge undulates showing, it probably was if u say that it pulled you round as they quickly do off down tide!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good stuff, use pully penels with 3/0s and squid/sandeel/mackerel as main baits

·
Registered
58 Posts
chesil is fishing ok. The only prob at the moment is the bloody spider crabs. They are even getting at pop ups and braid hooklengths. This will have a big impact on how long you leave the bait in the drink.
I would say that your best bet would be pulleys or golds rigs using rag, squid, crab and macky. Try sliding a float down the main line or a macky head in close during darkness.

These methods work for me.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know what you mean about the bloody crabs! do you fish chesil often barry? and do you have much luck with the mak head close in?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi Ian,

I posted you a reply on a different thread, then read your comment that your going down Abbotsbury Friday night, same plan here and having looked at the forcast for the weekend it seems the best bet.

·
Registered
54 Posts
someone from my club caught a 11lb 1oz small eyed ray down there a few weeks ago along with plenty of doggies pout the odd bass is bein caught as well

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a firend down from lancs for the weekend so im treating him to a bexington trip tonight, i'll post here tomorrow and let you know how we got on.

AL

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Codfather,
Yes, I fish Chesil most Friday nights. I was at Cogden last Friday with a mate. We managed to get a few Mackerel at last light and used the heads really close in. Within 10 mins he had a screaming bite and managed to land a 6lb + bass. There was also a match at Abbotsbury and someone had a 13.5lb tope !!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
good stuff! will have to try that on my next match, how close do you fish with the heads? thanks mate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts