World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that the Chichester harbour slipway is tidal. I appreciate it will vary from one tide to the next but approximately how long either side of high tide is it useable?
Does any one have a postcode for it that I can plug into the Sat Nav?
Doing some googling on it and it looks like I need to pay harbour fees?
Are the mackerel around in any numbers this year?
Lots of questions....... Thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hi, The best two options are
1st, Northney Marina, easy slipway and only 25mins to Chichester harbour entrance and parking for the car and trailer and you can get in or out at any time.
2nd Chichester Marina, Again easy slipway but you then need to go though the lock but then is an hour to the entrance, also easy parking and in or out at any time
Their are slips at itchnor but not to easy and parking a pain. Google these and you will find the post code etc

·
Registered
485 Posts
With regards to mackerel your can drif the entrance or head out about a mile or two and just drift the contour lines.
You are also ment to pay harbour dues, which can be done by calling the habour master or just wait till you get stuck

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Mackerel were scarce earlier but they are teeming now, but not necessarily in the traditional holding spots. Be prepared to try anywhere and watch for bird activity. Gulls sitting in the water means the mackerel are feeding deep, they wait for the damaged bait fish bodies to pop up.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
that is exactly what happened to me yesterday, arrived at my intended mark to see a big flock of gulls on the water, Bass and mackys jumping on the hooks, I don't think I have ever had multiple bass taking a string of feathers before!
Mackerel were scarce earlier but they are teeming now, but not necessarily in the traditional holding spots. Be prepared to try anywhere and watch for bird activity. Gulls sitting in the water means the mackerel are feeding deep, they wait for the damaged bait fish bodies to pop up.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
I was out on the Utopia yesterday and for about 40 mins the Mackerel were almost jumping in to the boat, at times you could them taking the feathers about 6 ft down

This is the first time this year I've had seen so many fish on the sounder, pity it's taken this long to happen as I've often struggled to find Mackerel earlier in the year when fishing for Tope.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I ended up going from Itchener has had to pay the harbour fees at the office there anyway. By the time I got out the tide was on the ebb. I was surprised by how shallow the entrance is but had a really enjoyable day in flat calm seas and managed to get a few mackerel as well.
I lost 2 brown, gunard like looking fish right at the boat. Probably only around 8 or so inches long. Were they likely to have been gunard?

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
Scorpionfish?

The shallow area is Chichester Bar which can be very dangerous (check your charts!) Boats have been sunk there, although mainly in stormy weather, caused by grounding and damage to the hull.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Scorpionfish?

The shallow area is Chichester Bar which can be very dangerous (check your charts!) Boats have been sunk there, although mainly in stormy weather, caused by grounding and damage to the hull.
Difficult to be sure as I didn't get themou
Scorpionfish?

Could well have been, they looked very much like that. Right size, colour and large pectorals held out flat as they approached the boat. I assume they are in the area and take feathers and lures?

I was aware of the bar, it was outside of the harbour around the posts I was referring to.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Yup, tub gurnard. Red gurnard don't have the blue in the pectoral fins.

·
Registered
9,523 Posts
I was aware of the bar, it was outside of the harbour around the posts I was referring to.
Chichester Bar is well outside the habour, near the Bar Beacon post ( now there's a clue!) not to be confused with the shallows in the harbour Mouth called Winner.

·
Registered
10,070 Posts
To be precise the shallows sand banks to the East & West of the harbour mouth are the East & West Pole Sands, definately worth avoiding at low water and they have accounted for many yachts being grounded in the summer months.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts