World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I'm in D&G next week on hols with the dependants, and whilst the wife visits her family up there I'll take the chance to escape for a spot of fishing :yeah: My eldest, who is 11 is keen to come along with me, and if our previous outings are anything to go by she'll be getting a fish a cast whilst I blank.

As a landlocked coarse fisherman I thought I'd stick to what I know and target the loch pike, but after a bit of research and stumbling across this forum I am considering maybe trying out something I haven't done since my teenage years and go for a bit of saltwater action. Obviously it will be dependant on the weather, and if its blowing a hooley and throwing 20 feet waves at us we'll head for the pike, but if the weather is ok (read that as as safer) then we'll be looking at finding a nice rocky outcrop to target some dogfish:blink:

So, my question to you all, are there any marks between say Southerness and Gatehouse of Fleet that are safe enough to take my daughter along without a high risk of her getting washed away. We don't mind having to walk a fair distance to the mark from the parking area, but are looking predominantly for either rocks or piers to fish from.

I'm aware that sharing details/locations of great marks is usually a big no-no, and I'm not trying to do that - we're not after the best fishing in the world, just a bit of fun catching a few fish (hence the doggies if they're as prolific as has been said). I just don't want anything like the summer just gone where our friend's father got swept off the rocks in Cornwall and drowned.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Banned
4,995 Posts
Brighouse Bay isn't too bad, or Kirkcudbright - down by the lifeboat station. Worth asking the same question in the Scottish section of this forum http://www.shoreangler.co.uk/forum/forum.php Quite a few guys local to the area you are talking about are on there, Dab Hand in particular knows all the marks areound Dumfriesshire/Kirkcudbrightshire/Wigtownshire better than most.

·
Registered
479 Posts
can I just say Rascarrel is currently closed, just in case anyone recommends it. It'll save you a journey.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Why is Rascarrel closed.?

yeh i would say brighouse bay would be your best bets in the area if you are wanting to fish for dog fish, go right out in frount of the golf course.
that is your best bet for dog fish the bay its self can be quite snaggy if you have a look on google maps you can get a good view of the bay......

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Sent a p.m. to trent. The road to Rascarrel is closed due to construction of holiday chalets, plus a new bridge being built.
Diversion sign in place by D & G council, directing traffic to loch mackie where parking is allowed, but this still means no access to the flat rock and cave areas.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts