World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use the cheap Chinese braid on Ebay for shockleader material? My main concern is what I think has a B?S of 100lb might break under a lot less pressure!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also got some 100lb Whiplash - just didn't want to chop it up!

·
Registered
15,436 Posts
Lots of theYorkshire rock anglers use it with no problems, strong, and abrasion resistant.. I use it on rock, 50 lb straight through, lots of rock anglers use it at 80 lb straight through. It is impossible to break just using the rod, it needs a really good pull with the braid wrapped around a bit of wood, or your arm ( wrapped in a cloth or a few layers of clothing of course )
I use 80lb Chinese Powerpro as a backcasting leader onto 30 lb Chinese Powerpro braid, it hasnt let me down yet. That is the braid that comes on a Powerpro look alike spool, NOT the stuff on the bigger spools, I have tried that and it was pants.
There are mega multiple threads about Bootleg Powerpro, as many people swear by it as do it down..... for me its the dogs danglies !

In short, it has never let me down so I have no problem with it at all, and I have been using it for a long time.

Dave

·
Registered
404 Posts
I've been using Agepoch chinese braid (from e-bay), both for mainline and for leaders for a long time now, no problems, quality has always been good. I think it's the same one Barbel Dave is talking about, above, and is badged as Powerpro. Don't really see any reason to change.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Just been checking on e-bay to make sure I know what I'm talking about (sometimes I wonder!), and all the "Powerpro" now seems to be being sold by UK sellers, and Agepoch line is NOT sold as Powerpro. Anyway, just to clarify, the braid I've used from Agepoch has all been good, and the lines that were badged as Powerpro, but from China have also been fine, but can't find the seller of these anymore. And I just wonder if most of those UK sellers of Powerpro are dealing direct with Chinese companies and selling it on as "genuine", whatever that might be!

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
The threads about cheap Chinese braid as shock leader. You wont bust casting ,I bought the 100lb stuff from agepoch and its as tough as old boots. The problem I had with it was tying the shock leader knot. My be ok with a back to back uni knot but I prefer a different knot which is less bulky.

·
Premium Member
17,556 Posts
Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, it's cheap shect and fake, some of the fake power pro was found out to be sewing braid & completly ubsorbed water, there's plenty of products out there that are resonable priced & strong, why use cheap rubbish?.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The threads about cheap Chinese braid as shock leader. You wont bust casting ,I bought the 100lb stuff from agepoch and its as tough as old boots. The problem I had with it was tying the shock leader knot. My be ok with a back to back uni knot but I prefer a different knot which is less bulky.
Improved Allbright with extra turns has always worked well for me for leader/mainline knots, but like Big Spurrie, I also use 80lb line straight through if I'm fishing rougher ground

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The difference being that the Age epoch stuff is not being claimed as Power pro. Power pro is not a material, it is a brand.It is Dyneema or Spectra braid, depends where they are buying it from, they are the same material anyway. Age epoch claims to be Spectra, and it seems to me to be exactly that.

I would suggest that if someone goes to the trouble of faking the box, then they are probably faking the material the line is made from.

I have always been very happy with my "Chinese rubbish" diameter is as claimed, so probably the BS as well, but I have not actually tasted the 60lb or 100lb, the 30lb does what it says on the spool.............provide you use the right knots.

If you test it and it breaks at less than the claimed BS at the knot, then try a different knot.

If you need to pay inflated prices to be convinced, then go ahead. I just purchased a product from China...paid 79pence post free.....yes that's right 79p post free....and it arrived, and it worked. Don't know how they managed that, postage must have cost more than that :)

Den

Den

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Personally I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, it's cheap shect and fake, some of the fake power pro was found out to be sewing braid & completly ubsorbed water, there's plenty of products out there that are resonable priced & strong, why use cheap rubbish?.
Some one told me a similar story about fake power pro, said it was horrible stuff . What I've found out on this forum if you a honest genuine review about any fishing product your wasting you time. Even if something is crap people always justify there purchase. Getting more like Sea angler every day . Maybe the new owners of this site ought to think about changing its name.:eek::D

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've ordered 100m of 100lb just to try. at £3.50 and free postage its worth a punt. What do I have to lose apart from (maybe) a rig!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I've been using agepoch Saratoga 8 strand braid on the boat for 2 years and it's not let me down.
Thinking of going the same way for my shore fishing, 60lb straight through, might get away with 50lb (shallow sandy beaches here)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
You could just kill someone if it cracks off and goes sideways, glad your fishing at the other end of the country lol. Can't understand why folk think they can buy decent gear for that sort of money, I pay more than that for 10 worms.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
You could just kill someone if it cracks off and goes sideways, glad your fishing at the other end of the country lol. Can't understand why folk think they can buy decent gear for that sort of money, I pay more than that for 10 worms.
To be fair to the agepoch 100lb as leader there's nobody on this planet who'll bust it casting. It was only the knot problem with me, and believe me i,m dead picky. Honest opinion its ok , and I don't tell porky's unlike some.:)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah and someone's eye when the lead smacks them in the face:eek:
I had thought about that but wouldn't use it anywhere near other people before testing it properly!

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
I've snapped 100lb Whiplash now on a number of occasions. I used to use it without problems but its given me doubts. I had similar issues with rubbish Gemini swivels parting but that's another story. It cant be blamed on old stock, frayed braid or knots have pulled, it's just snapped mid cast when winding one up.

I have 8 strand agepoch in 100lb that is very thick and clatters through the rings, it hasn't failed yet.

I guess what I'm saying is quality or perceived quality is not a guarantee of safety.

You always need to take precautions and manufacturing claims are just that. Things do go wrong but you can minimise risks by not playing at the limits.

A local huge caster swears by Saratoga braid in 100lb and said the 80lb is good too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts