World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Chinese squid

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  rayjp 
#1 ·
I saw some of this a week ago - looks interesting stuff to put whole on a hook.

Seems they were available in small, medium and large but just come in an unmarked pack now.

Anybody any info or experience with them?

John

#2 ·
Are you talking about the smallish ones that you can buy in the Chinese supermarkets in 1lb or 5lb boxes?
If you are, I use them all the time, in the kitchen and on the hook.
They fit lovely on a pennel set-up and if there are dogs about they go mad for them.
I also find them great to slice open then fill up with other stuff, elasticate and then put it on the hook, makes a good cocktail holder.

#5 ·
I think these may be called 'Lloligo' squid. Perhaps thats the species of squid, or the brand name? Bought them from a chinese supermarket in newcastle, they were bigger than the normal calamari squid and had tougher sking. I am pretty sure they were not english squid or cuttle as they were a different shape and size. I thought 'party' squid were those really small squid? over here we call them 'squiddily didilies', great name!

#6 ·
I also find them great to slice open then fill up with other stuff, elasticate and then put it on the hook, makes a good cocktail holder.
:clap3:

I also like to make squid parcels. The harder protective squid body protects softer baits inside and acts as a shield to stop crabs from attacking the baits while scent is release. I often use the quid body cut in half as a protective sheath to stop crabs getting at big worm baits, the head is then cut in half or used whole for tipping off which makes a great bait for codling and big whiting.

#7 ·
This were a bit too big to cover a 4/0 hook but smaller than a calamari. I would say the hood was about 1/2 the size to a bit bigger. They are intended to be used whole but a bit too much of a mouthful to me. The eyes were really bright too.

Never know rayjp - if you have 'em i might buy some of you especially if they would get here frozen. Also small sandeels if they were blast frozen soon after they were caught.

John

#9 ·
Used quite a few different species of squid and all seemed to catch - unlike the softback crab!

I do prefer the unwashed rather than the cleaned and prepared stuff. The small party squid is really good for tipping of.

.... the beauty of Chinese squid is - the fish gorge themselves on it, but feel hungry an hour later :)

#11 ·
I'm planning on using some of them squiddlius diddlius this summer for bassius spikius while float fishing. Planned to use some I got over the winter for coddus smallica but never got around to it, got to say though, they would only be for tipping as you'd need about 6 to get a decent size bait for coddus humungeaos. :)

By the way, what is all this latin malarky all about? :crazy:

#16 ·
This were a bit too big to cover a 4/0 hook but smaller than a calamari. I would say the hood was about 1/2 the size to a bit bigger. They are intended to be used whole but a bit too much of a mouthful to me. The eyes were really bright too.

Never know rayjp - if you have 'em i might buy some of you especially if they would get here frozen. Also small sandeels if they were blast frozen soon after they were caught.

John
WE have the 3-5 or the 5-7cm ones normally in stock.
No problem them staying frozen though.
:) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.