World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fitted a trumpet horn similar to the one in the link below, on the roof of my cuddy.
It was usefully loud and looked rather splendid, but unfortunately only lasted 18 months before its innards rusted solid.
I want to replace it with something more durable. Any suggestions of what to choose and where to mount it would be appreciated.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marine-9-...922463?hash=item542a89bbdf:g:RlIAAOSwzgRWwctE

·
Registered
762 Posts
Why dont you fit one which works through your VHF?

·
Registered
11,884 Posts
What kind of boat? My boat has a space for a horn (which I don't have) to be mounted behind a grille on the front of the cabin - the grille has a polythene membrane to protect the horn from the outside elements.

·
Registered
762 Posts
So on your set you can have an external speaker but in the manual there is no mention of horn functions. So it may not support that function.

Garry would be the man to ask as he has just fitted one to his tub.

·
Registered
10,870 Posts
I use a lowrance link 8 vhf which has got roughly 10 different horn settings.

It's linked to an external pa speaker which also acts as a microphone so you can hear people outside as it comes through the vhf speaker.

Works really well but I also have a pair of small horns mounted on the radar arch.

Bought the horns new from force4 and to be honest there crap.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Not that I've tried myself yet but I was considering mounting air horns on the roof with the air pump mounted inside the cabin.

Having said that, I've just bought a Lowrance Link 8 broadly based on Garry's set up. Time wil tell whether the Pyle pa speaker will survive the sea air.

·
Registered
9,531 Posts
Horns linked to a vhf are fine for fog but not easy to use in an emergency. Imagine the scenario, you are going up a narrow channel and naturally you will have the vhf on radio and Ch 16 possibly dual watch too. A yacht is motoring up the channel towards you and wobbling about as they mess with fenders, you don't think they have seen you and it is a potential collision situation. You need to give them a blast so they know you are there. With a button, you press it. With a vhf you have to remember how to switch to pa, look down at the controls, possibly go through a couple of menu options and press the horn. When I refitted Rebel Runner I put the horn switch on the end of the bank of switches so I didn't even have to look for the switch, I can toot in half a second which is what you need to do when some weekend sailor charges out of a finger berth in the marina just as you are passing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.