World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well ive just got back, and it was well worth it!!

set up bout 200 yards west of the church bout 9pm
i fished 1 rod with lug and rag, and the other rod with whole squid.
virtually 1 fish per cast on the lug/rag......all bass bout 30-40cm and a foul hooked bream.
then as high tide came that rod went quiet and the rod with squid went beserk!!
my heart started pumping as a list of possible speices ran thru my head!
as i beached the fish, what looked like my second smut of the season turned out to be the biggest dogfish ive ever seen.....it was bloody huge! (easilly 3lb)
as i examined the fish , i noticed that it had alot more spots than usual and its head was massive. anyways that went back and i cast another whole squid bout 80 yards, 5 minutes later i had another one on the beach, just as big.
by now it was high tide and was happy with the nights turnover so i called it a day!
might have to go back tomorrow!
all in all......5 bass, 1 bream and 2 dogfish?????? so not bad!
as for the dogfish.....is there any chance they were huss coz they were at least twice as big as the ones i catch off the pier......just a thought???????

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I've just got back aswell, not too bad but could of been better. We set up 2 bays east of the church as there were a few people in my usual spots. First cast produced a pup of about a pound and a quarter to peeler, not a bad start I thought, next 2 casts, schoolies of the standard size 30-40cm. again to peeler.

Then whilst peeling a couple of crabs for my next cast my scratching rod baited with king rag on a 2 hook flapper with size 4 kamasan aberdeen match hooks and 15lb hooklengths, doubled over. The fish wanted to go so I loosened the drag sharpish and it was taking line, somehow after what seemed like a year, without the fine wire hook straightening, the fish was in the waves and the leader knot was on the reel. I caught a glimpse of the fish in the beam of my dimming headlight and saw an eye gleaming at me, upon doing so the fish bolted and snapped the hooklength................Gutted!

It was quite a bit bigger than the 5lber I landed there on tuesday but didn't feel quite as big as the one I lost thursday making it at a complete guess around 8 or 9 maybe 10 although we will never know.

High tide came and the only action was on the rocks next to us from a couple shagging (put some more effort in to it love!) so reluctantly we called it a night. Both my mates managed to blank.

I'm determined to land a decent hound from there so no doubt I'll be back down the church in the near future!

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
bloody hell!!! sounds like a very good session there liam!!

i cant believe i cant fish till the end of the month thanks to these ****ing exams!! lol

well done lads!!!

Jamie

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
bloody hell!!! sounds like a very good session there liam!!

i cant believe i cant fish till the end of the month thanks to these ****ing exams!! lol

well done lads!!!

Jamie
Surely you could sneek out for one session? "mum, i'm going down the beach to revise for geography, to see the effect of longshore drift first hand!"

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
well ive just got back, and it was well worth it!!

set up bout 200 yards west of the church bout 9pm
i fished 1 rod with lug and rag, and the other rod with whole squid.
virtually 1 fish per cast on the lug/rag......all bass bout 30-40cm and a foul hooked bream.
then as high tide came that rod went quiet and the rod with squid went beserk!!
my heart started pumping as a list of possible speices ran thru my head!
as i beached the fish, what looked like my second smut of the season turned out to be the biggest dogfish ive ever seen.....it was bloody huge! (easilly 3lb)
as i examined the fish , i noticed that it had alot more spots than usual and its head was massive. anyways that went back and i cast another whole squid bout 80 yards, 5 minutes later i had another one on the beach, just as big.
by now it was high tide and was happy with the nights turnover so i called it a day!
might have to go back tomorrow!
all in all......5 bass, 1 bream and 2 dogfish?????? so not bad!
as for the dogfish.....is there any chance they were huss coz they were at least twice as big as the ones i catch off the pier......just a thought???????
Nice 1 matey ........that might not have been a doggie ..you might have got yourself a Bull Huss.....any pics

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
yea it does sound like a bull huss!! well done!!

Jamie

·
Registered
640 Posts
fished there last nite had 1 pup bout 1 1/2 lb nd some bream, there were more hounds out there cos one bit clean through ma 20lb snood, bloke next to us had the same result.

·
Registered
489 Posts
defo a bull huss mate

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
fished there last nite had 1 pup bout 1 1/2 lb nd some bream, there were more hounds out there cos one bit clean through ma 20lb snood, bloke next to us had the same result.
Did your line get "bit clean through" when you had a fish on and reeling in ? If was on the bottom and you didnt get a bite it may have been spider crabs that are down there again ? Never had a hound bite through the line before .

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Hounds don't have teeth, well they do but they're in their throat which they use to crush the crabs, so doubt it was hound which bit through your hooklength.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Went down the church again last night for a couple of hours, first cast had a schoolie, a couple of casts later my mate had a small pup and then I had I nice Bream of around 2lb I would guess, I've got a photo and will get it off my phone and try and upload it soon.
It was a really nice night and then all of a sudden a big bank of mist came in, bites dried up so we called it a night, not many fish but enjoyable all the same. All of the fish took peeler.

·
Registered
213 Posts
went down today in the same place as smutthunter and it was rubbish
so i moved west a bit and still no bites exept 1 on a whole squid.
after a while i got a bit impationt and put a abu terminator jointed plug on and chucked it our from the rocks
and as i got it to the edge WHAM the rod went mental and i had hooked into a bass ,not big but first one this year on a plug

·
Registered
329 Posts
hi all fished by the church on saturday night abit slow at first but picked up i had 2 hounds about 3lb and a bream about 1lb loads of spiders there i must of lost 6 or 7 hooks to them. loads of people fishing must have been more caught :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts