World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought some 3/0 lip grip circle's not used them yet was waiting for the cod to arrive but I have made some rigs up in the meantime. Having just read the pevious post "Circle Hooks" I looked at the knot shown on the thread for circle hooks. I have used snells to tie my circle hooks, there good with "J" hooks. Does anyone think that they will be OK snelled or should I change the knot. Advice will be appreciated. Thanx.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Do the loop method, as lip grips have large eyes, better than fiddling with fancy knots, you must put the loop through from the front of the hook to make it work

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well meanstreak I wouldn't say that a snell is a complicated fiddly knot. It's used extensively by commercial fishermen on their long lines. The hooks are snelled to the snood first, then the snood is then tied to the swivel last, but a snell is like a no knot. You put the line end through the hook eye and hold it in place, and wrap the long part of the snood around the hook shank and the line your securing about 7-8 times thread it back through the eye and tighten. It is said that it is stronger than most knots. I asked the question cause I've never used circle hooks before and wondered if anyone else uses the snell. Thanks for your advice on the other knot.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Well meanstreak I wouldn't say that a snell is a complicated fiddly knot. It's used extensively by commercial fishermen on their long lines. The hooks are snelled to the snood first, then the snood is then tied to the swivel last, but a snell is like a no knot. You put the line end through the hook eye and hold it in place, and wrap the long part of the snood around the hook shank and the line your securing about 7-8 times thread it back through the eye and tighten. It is said that it is stronger than most knots. I asked the question cause I've never used circle hooks before and wondered if anyone else uses the snell. Thanks for your advice on the other knot.
iv tryed to snell circle hooks but they was size 4 so had a tiny eye , iv got size 3/o and 4/o on order now im hoping they will have a much bigger eye , by the way iv tryed to snell a plain 3.o hook and found it all most imposable , i was useing 40lb amnesa

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mike

When you snell the hook, put the line through the eye from the front of the hook, hold it in place, whip the long end down the shank and pass the line back through the eye back through the front and pull tight, only then tie it to the swivel on the rig body. I've got size 2 circles and they tie ok also Aberdeens. I use 15lb snoods.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
I have used snells to tie my circle hooks, there good with "J" hooks. Does anyone think that they will be OK snelled or should I change the knot. Advice will be appreciated. Thanx.
Try the loop method, as it's easier to tie and works, because it turns the hook when a fish pulls it

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanx for that meanstreak. It looks brill and so easy. The guy uses 120lb line, don't think we'ed need such heavy line for what we do. what strain snoods do you use with this knot. Just setting up my second rod with new line. I always use 15lb for my snoods unless it's a special sesh. deffinitly simpler than the snell.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
30LB Clear Amnesia, on all my rigs, never had it break and it tangles less than thinner stuff

·
Registered
299 Posts
Because I would rather do a knot that don't undo or slip - simples
one can tie a duff knot just as you can do a duff crimp
as sharpshooter says, its down to preference, but I dont think we should slate crimping on the basis of readymade traces with crimps that slip

for extra security, just burn the free end (carefully) to make a blobby end

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Using 30lb line as a snood I would not crimp, its too thin, if you want to try crimping then do it at your own risk, I have never had a double overhand knot come undone, I use it on all my leaders instead if swivel clips, if you use heavy line then crimping might be ok

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi meanstreak

Tried the loop last night,as I use 15lb line for my snoods I tried it on a 3/0 circle hook (lip grip) The line pulled through the gap between the eye and shank. It will be OK on the smaller hooks though. When fishing for the larger fish I will probably use 30lb snoods so it shouldn't be a problem then.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Agree with meanstreak regarding the 30lb mono and crimping.
Personally I do not crimp anything under 100lb.
Lines less than 100lb - tying knots is easy and crimping can be more difficult.

Sharpshooter - you are right - it's horses for courses
and crimps are quick and easy - perhaps liable to lower BS if not done right - but it all depends on the reason for your trace (or leader) - if it is simply a swiveled connector to a main-line of similar strength, then any potential loss of breaking strength is a worry
if you are fishing a biting/rubbing trace of 3 or 4x the weight of the mainline, any potential loss is meaningless
for example a crimped 50 or 80lb rubbing leader for tope to 12lb mainline is no issue

but 20lb mono straight through - I would knot every time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts