World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try these for the first time this evening. Got myself some size 3/0 and will be fishing with squid, macks and frozen blacks - no wums. Just wondering if there's any particular tricks to baiting these hooks? Looking at them I'm thinking I'll probably elastic the on the hook with the point showing and then up the line a bit (I want to use big baits to target bigger whiting, cod and doggies.

Advice anyone? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
It depends on how far you will be casting as I just hook twice with no elastic if fishing close in, if you are blasting them a long way then elastic will be needed if you don't use Dvices, make sure the hook turns as they need to move if a fish grabs the bait, bait stringed with elastic up the snood won't let them turn properly

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So do I assume that big baits may not be as easy with these hooks?

In terms of casting and distance I assume that a clip down will be better than a simple flapper?

Thanks for your help MS - much appreciated.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Circles are ok with big baits but casting them is the issue because of the way you hook them properly, if I was to put a whole Squid on a big circle I would make it into a sausage with elastic then it would be hooked just twice then pricked a few times to let the juices out, they catch huge fish on circles but only just hook the baits once in the boats, from the beach it's harder to keep the bait on the hooks unless you do the sausage trick

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I'm going to try these for the first time this evening. Got myself some size 3/0 and will be fishing with squid, macks and frozen blacks - no wums. Just wondering if there's any particular tricks to baiting these hooks? Looking at them I'm thinking I'll probably elastic the on the hook with the point showing and then up the line a bit (I want to use big baits to target bigger whiting, cod and doggies.

Advice anyone? Thanks in advance.
...in a sentence..they are crap, !!...i use 3-4/0 pennels long in the shank,wide in the gape,it doesnt matter..forged or heavy carbon so there is little or no spring in the gape.. that would be bad news with a big fish lip hooked...u will get whiting throwing themselves onto anything if they are around in plague numbers..foxy52.

G

·
...in a sentence..they are crap, !!...i use 3-4/0 pennels long in the shank,wide in the gape,it doesnt matter..forged or heavy carbon so there is little or no spring in the gape.. that would be bad news with a big fish lip hooked...u will get whiting throwing themselves onto anything if they are around in plague numbers..foxy52.
If you're finding them crap, you're using them incorrectly. I've not missed a smoothound bite since I started using them and rarely miss a bite of any kind. My latest match wins are all on circles, baited correctly, that is lightly hooked with plenty of hook showing.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
quality link thanks mate
Ive been fishing with them off the boats for a couple of years for the hounds bass and roker but not really thought about using then on the beach in a d vice. will give them ago tomorrow :thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
....yes a very good article..but as i said i dont like them...i have used them when they first came out for shore angling and worming for sea trout and salmon they give an un-natural presentation.....2cd point ..u cant use these when bait fishing either ie.. shrimping or prawning thats probably self evident by the way they should be mounted to look natural..so i wouldnt keep them in my armoury...clever design though...foxy52.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you're finding them crap, you're using them incorrectly. I've not missed a smoothound bite since I started using them and rarely miss a bite of any kind. My latest match wins are all on circles, baited correctly, that is lightly hooked with plenty of hook showing.
I agree. I bought a box from America to try and if you bait the hooks correctly they are very good. to start with i was threading worms round the hook and hiding the hook inside a full squid to not much sucsess. So went back to my ols Sakuma Manta hooks. After I saw one of them Tuna programmes on telly watching them bait up circle hooks I baited the same and that was it, hardly ever missed a bite and no more deep hooked fish. I am down to my last few no so its a trip to America to buy another box!!

G

·
I find that it's pretty much a 50/50 split with whiting, but with standard hooks they are nearly always throat or gut hooked.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hmmm......, each to his own and what they have confidence in, but I love em myself. Consider the sizing though as that's a bit funny. Vast majority of my fishing is now done from the yak and I'll be using a 10/0 circle on the bottom of my codding pennel rigs this winter with a much smaller aberdeen holding the squid and lug cocktail up. Casting not a consideration though. Lots of other species on circles of various sizes all year - bass, wrasse, smoothounds blahdy blah...

·
Registered
438 Posts
Fished with circles (2.0's) on a 2 hook flapper rig last night and was amazed every fish was lip hooked! baits used on the circles were lug, squid and fish baits! Had to parcel up the fish baits with elastic before placing them on the hooks. !Amazed & Recommended!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, here's what i found last night.

I had one rod with a 4/0 pennel and the other with a 2x 3/0 circle hook flapper. I caught two whiting on the pennel - one was gut hooked the other was hooked through the tongue. I caught one whiting on the circle hook flapper and this was neatly hooked in the corner of the mouth (just like it said it would be on the tin)

There was a big swell on which some big waves which made bite detection difficult. I was uncertain about either fish on the pennel, but the lip hooked fish (the smallest of the three) was clearly seen - again as the books says it will be with a lip hooked fish.

So my first experience with the circle hooks was very positive and will defo use again.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
ive used these hooks and gave them away normal hooks are better try short shank hooks
..suppose its all down to pers choice as i said...i have never liked them but this lip hooking of fish is a fair observation..far better if u can neatly extract a hook..its all about confidence though...i would hate to loose a big cod or bass on one because i would then bemoan using them..a conventional hook well embedded must surely give greater leverage on a fish in a big sea....but then again what do i know ?!.. they obv work well....foxy52

1 - 20 of 41 Posts