World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had some circle hooks in my box for ages but I just dont have the confidence to use them...does anyone have any positive experience with them?

I going down to South Devon and Dorset on holiday this weekend so would like to give them a go for the bass...what sort of rig do people use circles on? I was assuming I should use them on a running ledger or a single hook paternoster or something, with squid / crab or mussel baits depending on what I can get - I plan to fish one rod with a circle hook and one with a normal varivas and then compare the results from the two.

Cheers,

Cuda

·
Registered
246 Posts
Have had some brilliant sessions this year on the wrasse using them - haven't really tried for the bass yet with them , but saying that, i did fluke a 2.5lb bass on them a couple of weeks ago whilst wrasse fishing with crab

·
Registered
603 Posts
Have used circles for tope from the boat a few times with decent results.

I used a hair rig (like they use for carp) made from green plastic coated gardening wire and thread it through the mackerels eye sockets with a crochet hook.
Just tighten up when the fish is running and they are hooked cleanly in the bottom lip or in the scissors.

Will give them a try with a similar rig with peelers for cod/bass.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
try not to thread the bait up a circle hook as you do on conventional hooks,but allow it to hang instead.used right they are very effective.tried a 6/0 recently with half a pout just hooked through the lip,caught a 5lb bass no problem.use them for piking on running ledgers with good results too:marinheir

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I now use circles all the time when fishing for bass, and will use them in future for smoothounds, and try them for thornbacks.

Hardest thing is remembering not to strike (you are likely to pull the bait out of the fish's mouth without the hook engaging).

Instead wait for the fish to pull the rod tip around, by then they are hooked, almost always in the corner of the mouth.

I've also used them for pike.

When fishing for pike, I've found that failure to hook-up occurs when the pike is facing you, so it's important to just take up slack, but not so much as to move the rod tip, then wait for the fish to move the rod tip around.

The big problem with pike is that they clamp down on the bait, so the hook doesn't move across their mouth until the pike loosens their grip.

With small pike, it's quite likely that they will find themselves dragged around to face the rod, before they loosen the grip, and the bait will come forward out of their mouth without the hook engaging, resulting in a 'dropped run'. (not a problem if larger fish are what you are after!)

Nearly all dropped runs are just small jacks!

I've also used them when lure fishing with spoons, replacing the back treble with a circle hook, so far with 100% hook-ups. It's especially hard not to hit a take when lure-fishing!

I've also used them successfully for perch, but trout will often manage to get themselves hooked right at the back of the mouth, making them difficult to unhook with forceps (when removing circles, you need to 'roll' them out, which again takes a little getting used to).

So, if there are trout around I avoid using them.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I have been using circle hooks for about a decade now. Not for everything but gradually I find more species and situations where they are a good choice.

Initially I used them for common skate. Huge 20/0 commercial type circle with 3 mackerel hanging from the bend on a loop of plastic coated gardening wire. I called that a hair rig after the carp anglers technique - it is known as bridle rigging in salt water game fishing.

Interesting to read Leons post which includes pike on circle hooks. I mentioned that notion at a pike club meeting about a decade ago and was lucky not to get lynched. Seems the pike brigade thought it OK to drop multiple trebles down a pikes throat but not a single circle hook. I wonder how many of the pike anglers are as enlightened as Leon nowadays.

My observations about suitable species for circle hooks is that an active predator that bites and runs will be hooked well. Species that tend to suck, nibble and pull at a bait (small bream?)would be best suited to be attacked with J hooks.

If 'scratching' in a match I would use J hooks. For any other purpose a circle hook is a good bet.

As has already been said do keep the bulk of the hook clear of bait. Big, multiple worm baits are difficult to use on circles as they clog the gap between hook point and shank. But try using a circle as the top hook on a pennel rig and you have the best of both worlds. Easy to thread the worms over the bottom J hook but the circle will actually get most of the hook-ups.

·
Registered
502 Posts
try the rapala circle-hooks, very good, another good choice is
the daiwa- kamatsu circle hook, by far the best circle hooks i have
used, corner of mouth every time.

paco.

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
favoured circles here are razor claw and owner.forget sakuma,they're pants

G

·
I've been using the Mustad, fine wire demon circle hooks with good results. I thread worn on them as usual, but just nick them into mackerel fillets and crab baits.

Like all Mustad hooks though, they are prone to going blunt quikcly.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I used size 6 circles last night and caught 3 flounder, 2 were lip hooked and one just a little bit deeper but hook came straight out. They are great to use with head hooked mud worm.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
absolutly brilliant hooks but you must keep the shank clear so that the hook can turn and hook the fish in the corner of the jaw. personally i have found the owner mutu light to be my favourite - its so great to get more than 90% of my fish lip hooked and easy to unhook and return.

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
Used them last session, although they where more octopus rather than full circle.

5lb (ish) conger lip hooked, 4lb bass lip hooked, no missed strikes as i didnt bother, just lifted into the bite, or rather rattle!

and it is hard not to be tempeted to strike, but it worked :clap3:

i shall be using them again when the smoothies show.

used owner SSW, 3/0 although i have some mutu light's on order.

al.

·
TEAM FORESHORE
3,960 Posts
circles are the mutts nuts every time i used them all faih hooked in the lip or the corner of the mouth even when using size 1 hooks and catching doggies with big mouths compared to the hook size in the corner everytime and come out really easy to :thumbs::thumbs:

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sounds like i should give circle hooks a go next week after all this positive feedback!

Thanks,

Cuda

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
try not to thread the bait up a circle hook as you do on conventional hooks,but allow it to hang instead.used right they are very effective.tried a 6/0 recently with half a pout just hooked through the lip,caught a 5lb bass no problem.use them for piking on running ledgers with good results too:marinheir

The man above is living testement to....
i think ill stroll back and check me rod.

Ooooo, another cod!

you can bait worm on them, but its a pig, easier with a bait needle.

crab, fish sections or the end of a squid tube are an easy match, couple of winds of elastic to keep the bait secure and a snell is supposed to increse hook up's.
i snelled mine, but i have no comparison.

give it a go, i was very impressed ;)

al.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Here's a tip:-
the Uk-Hooks VMC "tournament circle" http://www.uk-hooks.com/details.php?selected=594 in size 7/0 can just take the plastic bit from a breakaway "proper pulley" gadget http://www.breakaway-tackle.com/product_info.php?cPath=94&products_id=1112 over the point and barb.

It can slide around the bend but not spin (because of the forging of the hook and the narrowness of the 'sides' of that "pulley")

So if you tie some bait tightly to the pp, it can slide around the outside of the hook's bend (and up & down the shank) but not turn around so that it would block the gap between point and shank.

To stop the stuff just sliding off (past the barb and back over the point) hook a tiny bit of rubber band (or cycle inner tube) and push it a half inch past the barb.

Disadvantage ? well you can't slide this gadget past the eye of the hook so you cannot "pull through" a hook and trace to unhook a fish - you have to disgorge it the way you would a lip hooked "J" hook.

Another tip - their "SS streamer circle hooks " from Mustad (intended to tie flies or feathers on circle hooks) are quite good worm bait hooks - you can slide the worm up the shank ; I use the 4/0 size for codling. They are expensive so you may not want to use them where you expect to lose end gear every other cast.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts