World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After deciding against a trip on Saturday due to the weather, myself and @SpursDog made the the 2 hour trip to Essex on Sunday instead.
Setting up near Kingscliff, we were fishing by low tide around midday, with the intention of fishing until just after high water.
The first hour or so was quiet before rod tips started bouncing away with what could only be ting bites. We landed 5-6 of them between us before dark and awaited the inevitable horde descending on our baits….

Which didn’t happen quite as much as we were expecting. There was a spell when all 4 rod tips were bouncing away at the same time and we struggled to keep any rod in the water for more than about a minute. But there were some quiet stretches too, when we were able to keep bait out in the water for a decent amount of time. Unfortunately no other species decided to put in an appearance.

One rod being fished with a whole squid did slam right over a couple of times in quick succession but nothing was on the end, which was a shame as it definitely didn’t look like a whiting bite.

We finally packed up just after 7, total fish being around 30 tings between us but nothing else.

Cloud Water Sky Beach People on beach

Sky Cloud Water Ecoregion Sleeve

Gesture Body of water Finger Adaptation People in nature

Cloud Water Sky Wood Beach

Cloud Water Sky Beach People on beach

·
Registered
83 Posts
A thoroughly enjoyable day fella even if it was only ting, ting, ting. Gorgeous weather, lovely surroundings and good company.
I felt we fished well, varying baits (there's nothing they won't eat) distances etc and was nice to be catching on our own rigs at last.
Looking forward to the next one!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A thoroughly enjoyable day fella even if it was only ting, ting, ting. Gorgeous weather, lovely surroundings and good company.
I felt we fished well, varying baits (there's nothing they won't eat) distances etc and was nice to be catching on our own rigs at last.
Looking forward to the next one!
agreed mate, a good day for sure and I’d love to go back and have a crack at some other species there

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Weather permitting I'm there Sunday morning fir some flatties hopefully.

And East mersea saturday morning I think...

Me young lad wants to catch some dabs for his granddad.

Nutsy
nice, hopefully you will get a few.

we’re not sure when we’ll be back, as it’s a 2 hour drive for us, we’re not completely sold on turning up just to feed the whiting 😂

·
Registered
83 Posts
Tis a lovely spot down there! As @Joker82 says well definitely back in the spring.
Good luck with the dabs! We were hoping to get into a couple but alas just the ol' y tings.
Tried using my stinky lug left over from a few days before that had survived and a few short casts as I'm sure I've read they can be caught at close range but where ever I went Wally the whiting wasn't far behind.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tis a lovely spot down there! As @Joker82 says well definitely back in the spring.
Good luck with the dabs! We were hoping to get into a couple but alas just the ol' y tings.
Tried using my stinky lug left over from a few days before that had survived and a few short casts as I'm sure I've read they can be caught at close range but where ever I went Wally the whiting wasn't far behind.
As you say Tis a good venue to fish...
I think every time I've been there is always people fishing which is nice too see & gives oneself some encouragement that one has chosen the right place to fish...

It's also nice to be able to have a chat with fellow anglers on their experiences & tap into there knowledge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts