World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished clarence pier last night, small beach to the right accessable at low water.

Had allot of frozen bait left from my trup the chesil and the wife has been pestering me to get it out of the freezer so.perfect excuse!

Got to the mark about half an hour before slack water and with the wind dying and a big tide thought I might stand a chance of something decent.

Within about 15 minutes the rod tip was rattelling on squid and lug. Bumped the lead which stirred me into picking up the rod, straight away could tell it was a doggie but still not a blank!

I had three more dogs before getting pushed of the mark by the rising tide. All on squid baits. Nothing on the second rod which i had a decent chunck of mackerel on as bait, still holding out for my first bass but think I need to try some other marks in the harbour perhaps???

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how far was u casting just near the pier will do wouldn't cast more than 20 yards past it for bass
Thanks, I was fishing the small beach to the right as you look south rather than hard into the pier, will try next to the pier next time, thank you for the tip. :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
honestly mate I have caught n seen monster bass come out of that bit of beach low tide is good fish from low water up but u can fish high tide there aswell whole squid or big mackerel baits better getting there for 8 set up n wait for the Hover craft to stop think it stops at 9 low tide flick it out 20 yards set up on the high tide Mark keep lights of the water as much as u can perfect time of year for the biggys aswell
Thanks, I was fishing the small beach to the right as you look south rather than hard into the pier, will try next to the pier next time, thank you for the tip. :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
keep your baits natural aswell mate with the squid just thread a hole 1 through no need 2 bind it on if ur only giving it a flick out there we had a 10lber on a mackerel tail hooked through side ways running ledger 3o or 4o will do

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
keep your baits natural aswell mate with the squid just thread a hole 1 through no need 2 bind it on if ur only giving it a flick out there we had a 10lber on a mackerel tail hooked through side ways running ledger 3o or 4o will do
Thanks for the tips!!! Really appreciate the advice, I will try and get out next week and report back. Tight lines!

·
Registered
981 Posts
in your profile pic the concrete slope u can see is also a good bass spot mate limpets work well off there there's a pole in the water just in front of that slope cast 20/30 yards of there but the bigger 1s do come out more near the pier tho! I will be fishing that side more next year defo I have moved 2 gosport now so havant fished it for a while getting board of the same old spots over here now

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
in your profile pic the concrete slope u can see is also a good bass spot mate limpets work well off there there's a pole in the water just in front of that slope cast 20/30 yards of there but the bigger 1s do come out more near the pier tho! I will be fishing that side more next year defo I have moved 2 gosport now so havant fished it for a while getting board of the same old spots over here now
I know what you mean about getting bored of the same spots, I am trying to build up my knowledge and get a few different local mark that I can fish depending on the state of the tides
Young kids mean I can usually only managed 4 - 5 hours so tend to fish the same places more out of convince than anything else. Travelling to far eats into the fishing time.

·
Registered
20,609 Posts
Fished clarence pier last night, small beach to the right accessable at low water.

Had allot of frozen bait left from my trup the chesil and the wife has been pestering me to get it out of the freezer so.perfect excuse!

Got to the mark about half an hour before slack water and with the wind dying and a big tide thought I might stand a chance of something decent.

Within about 15 minutes the rod tip was rattelling on squid and lug. Bumped the lead which stirred me into picking up the rod, straight away could tell it was a doggie but still not a blank!

I had three more dogs before getting pushed of the mark by the rising tide. All on squid baits. Nothing on the second rod which i had a decent chunck of mackerel on as bait, still holding out for my first bass but think I need to try some other marks in the harbour perhaps???
:) I used to dive the pier for lobsters when I lived by the common and there is a dredged channel just in front of it. There are also sole close in to the right and spotted rays to the left and right. Probably changed a bit since they dredged the main channel for the carriers but not much as they don't come that close. Big wrasse all round there, bass and mullet under the pier. Not sure about access to the pier now they have the wheel there but it used to be OK off the corners. Back in the 70's I caught cod on live baits off the corner and lost a conger as it didn't like my drop net, I'm sure dedication will throw something decent up from there, eventually. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, you are right dedication is the key. Might have to do a recce during the day to see about access there are quite a few attractions, if you can call them that, on the pier now.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Me and my bro in law were fishing hard against Clarence Pier hovercraft side years ago sat back from the rods about 2 am Tilly going huddled round warming a pie when a guy turned up and wondered if we needed somewhere to stay for the night turns out he was from shelter or some similar org and thought we were homeless trying to keep warm we pointed at the rods he then twigged we were fishing and had a good laugh and left us alone good spot though.
Pete

·
Registered
981 Posts
had a lovely spotty of there a few years back we used 2 climb up on low tide n fish off the back off the pier matey who lives in a caravan on the pier didn't mind as long as we cleaned up after us caught pretty much everything of there going
:) I used to dive the pier for lobsters when I lived by the common and there is a dredged channel just in front of it. There are also sole close in to the right and spotted rays to the left and right. Probably changed a bit since they dredged the main channel for the carriers but not much as they don't come that close. Big wrasse all round there, bass and mullet under the pier. Not sure about access to the pier now they have the wheel there but it used to be OK off the corners. Back in the 70's I caught cod on live baits off the corner and lost a conger as it didn't like my drop net, I'm sure dedication will throw something decent up from there, eventually. :)
2 fish it hard next year defo

·
Registered
981 Posts
lost something massive of there don't no wat it was but was on half a Mackie flittet n guts was fighting it for about 20 mins was steaming left right went 2 the iow n back lol then went under the pier n snapped off was gutted was seconds 2 seeing wat it was

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lost something massive of there don't no wat it was but was on half a Mackie flittet n guts was fighting it for about 20 mins was steaming left right went 2 the iow n back lol then went under the pier n snapped off was gutted was seconds 2 seeing wat it was
Properly hyped for my next trip out now!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts