World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a thermostat for my Yamaha 8B auxillary because its not "watering" properly without one, so I just enquired as to price & I'm sorry I did! $34.50 + $2.50 delivery + VAT (my pound sign doesn't work).
So for curiosity sake I priced a thermostat for my Discovery $2.34! & its 4/5 times bigger than the one for the outboard! How the hell do they keep on ripping us off for "marine parts". The thermostat can stay out of it, they are made of the same material to the same design, so how the hell can something the size of a thimble, be 15 times more expensive than an identical product 5 times bigger!:rtfm:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That if you had a part number to cross reference, it would be the same as one out of something like a fiesta, & cost about 3 quid! We are sheep waiting to be "fleeced", no way an I going to pay nearly 50 sovs for a "thimble"!:nono:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Remember the old saying Skip:
If you own a boat you may as well stand in the shower and rip up ten pound notes - it has the same result at the end.

If you can cross-reference to a standard car (or other machine) part, good luck. If not, expect to be fleeced.

As my old man used to say;

'If you really, really hate somebody, give them a boat or a horse, it will cost them a ******* fortune.

Pel.

G

·
Take the old one along to a car breaker that sells parts. Act all innocent/incompetent, and spin them the tale along the line of: "I'm doing a mate a favour. He's given me this to match". Don't admit what it comes from, and the odds are they'll find the automotive equivalent. Then you can get a new one at the motor factors! Sometimes this will even work at the motor factors themselves!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Was in the same situation a week ago..... been having a few issues with the engine, turned out the Tstat was permanently stuck open. Nice one i thought, real easy, cheap fix.........

£40!!! :sneaky2::sneaky2::sneaky2:

They really do have you by the nuts........:bangin::bangin::bangin:

·
Registered
359 Posts
A lot of this is purely down to production and market volume, frustrating as it is, some parts for boats just dont sell so many units (unlike cars ((discovery)) where there are thousands world wide)

its not much fun shelling out on any distress purchase but i just love boats so have to take it on the chin! :bangin:

some times an alternate part can be found which is fine but do watch out for inferior pattern parts.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
A lot of this is purely down to production and market volume, frustrating as it is, some parts for boats just dont sell so many units (unlike cars ((discovery)) where there are thousands world wide)

its not much fun shelling out on any distress purchase but i just love boats so have to take it on the chin! :bangin:

some times an alternate part can be found which is fine but do watch out for inferior pattern parts.
i love boats to and have run some sort of boat for 35 years but having now got a yamaha marine diesel that is actually a toyota you can buy a yamaha oil filter for 30 to 40 quid that is actually a toyota filter- complete with toyotas label and toyota part nos, in a yamaha badged box, that will cost £11 from a car shop. now that is a rip off

·
**72**
4,716 Posts

Nail and head springs to mind :sneaky2: defenatley a volume thing, if your lucky youll find a cheaper replacement.

·
Registered
359 Posts
i love boats to and have run some sort of boat for 35 years but having now got a yamaha marine diesel that is actually a toyota you can buy a yamaha oil filter for 30 to 40 quid that is actually a toyota filter- complete with toyotas label and toyota part nos, in a yamaha badged box, that will cost £11 from a car shop. now that is a rip off
Classic example mate, nothing to do with production in that case! just trying it on!:busted_co

·
Registered
359 Posts
Nail and head springs to mind :sneaky2: defenatley a volume thing, if your lucky youll find a cheaper replacement.
I guess its just knowing what and where you can get cheaper thats the key for most people. (as above with the yam/toyota parts)

Same with bikes i've found.... just bang on the price where the market will stand it.

Problem for most of us is no alternative practically or time/knowledge to sort out a better and cheaper part.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Just a thought and off topic granted, please forgive. Could we start a sticky to identify the alternate auto part to the marine equivalent that is a rip off price.

For example has anyone found the auto equavelent to the mega expensive Merc thermostat, Suzuki oil filter, Yamaha inline fuel filter, Marriner spark plugs?

If you have post it and save fellow fishermen being ripped of for standard parts. The first big Honda HP engines were a car engine turned on it's side, I suspect the oil filter is common with it's road going alternative.

To kick it off, Partco got me a box of ten BUHW plugs for sub Merc/Marriner 60HP engines or less, BUHW than I could buy 2 at my local chandlers. They wouldn't get me the 4 as they would be stuck with 6 but would get me a full box, so next year's service is sorted, plus half of the following year.

Mods want to spilt or post this as a separate topic, no problem from me.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
a few years ago i lost the nylock nut off the top of my merc outboard, went to buy a replacement from the dealer for £3.60 told him i was not going to pay that for a nylock nut so went to a motor factors and got one for 15p.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Take the old one along to a car breaker that sells parts. Act all innocent/incompetent, and spin them the tale along the line of: "I'm doing a mate a favour. He's given me this to match". Don't admit what it comes from, and the odds are they'll find the automotive equivalent. Then you can get a new one at the motor factors! Sometimes this will even work at the motor factors themselves!
I doubt very much that any vehicle has one that small, it can be no more than 15mm diameter, no doubt its a purpose made thing & I understand that volume sales would reduce the price.
However I am so p****d off, every time I buy anything for a boat engine its a 2nd mortgage touch! Anybody got a Yamaha 8B they are breaking?:giveup:

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
I doubt very much that any vehicle has one that small, it can be no more than 15mm diameter, no doubt its a purpose made thing & I understand that volume sales would reduce the price.
However I am so p****d off, every time I buy anything for a boat engine its a 2nd mortgage touch! Anybody got a Yamaha 8B they are breaking?:giveup:
Try giving BHG in Lymington a ring. I used to get all my Yam spares from them. I bought a pair of stats for a 115hp yam about 3 summers back & they were no where near the price you have been quoted.

headlight

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It WAS BHG Lymington who quoted me 34.50 + 2.50p&p + VAT! :whistling: sorry just rechecked, it was 35.09 + 2.50 + VAT :oops:

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
It WAS BHG Lymington who quoted me 34.50 + 2.50p&p + VAT! :whistling: sorry just rechecked, it was 35.09 + 2.50 + VAT :oops:
Either they have gone up massively in 3 summers (think I paid less than £20 for 2) or the smaller stats are much dearer. The ones for the 115 were small but not as small as yours so perhaps they were also made for something else(making them cheaper).
Fortunately I think my Honda o/b is actually a 2.3 litre Honda car engine so some spares should be available from motor factors (when it"s out of warranty).

headlight

·
Registered
376 Posts
whats wanted is a book (what fits what) used to use one looking for parts to fit my bike (harley)parts from 1950,s and up would fit
also have a 1980 ducati its got oil filters from a kawasaki. clutch from a british leyland. battery that fits a robin reliant .clocks and switchgear from a suzuki. the above are all standard parts but not duke prices.because i dont like paying inflated prices

1 - 20 of 38 Posts