World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i wash my sundridge flotation suit in a washing machine or will this damage it ?, will the suit need to be re-waterproofing after cleaning , or is there some were i can get it cleaned?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
has it affected the waterproofing

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Mine gets a wash and then a squirt with a waterproofing aerosol available from Army Navy stores or camping / outdoor type shops, Nickwax is a good one.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks lads the washing machine it is then

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Folks,

A steam cleaner works wonders.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
568 Posts
Call me stupid, but I had never thought about using the washing machine to wash my (very dirty) floatation suit.

Now that I have: Call me even more stupid, but I did kind of wonder if all the foam swelled up - obviously it doesnt.

Just goes to show that you learn something new everyday

Now, if I can can just figure out how to use the washing machine ... :D

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
im glad u said that becuase i was woundering the same thing bthe other day. hopw may times can u fall in with the foam still being floatable???

kelvin

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i never give the foam a thought,

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi guys & gals
On my suit it has got cleaning instructions on the inside stitched to a pocket and it quite clearly states no washing machines, and recomends re-proofing every 2 years, and it gives the address to which I can send it to get it professionaly cleaned and re-proofed, In the case of boat anglers I would say this it's your life your suit is going to save if everything goes pearshaped so be careful what you do to it, I lightly scrub the outside only of mine with washing up liquid in a bucket of warm water wash off with the hose pipe and hang up to dry this is reccomended by the manufacturer, so it may pay you to have a look inside your suit to see if you have a lable. Stay Safe Gus.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
On the label in mine it says:
Vilkortjen Aubgtersdiklo bahtkiolstipod trenbootlbak! Achtention Wiz gatunfertum Kleinstaffen Kruppt!
Does that mean long or short spin cycle?
blueskip

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ive been washing mine for years in the machine with no problems,all a floatation suit is is a 2mm wet suit stitched inside a nice warm suit.The wetsuit is a closed cell neoprene and so dosent soak up the water.
But you must re-waterproof it as the lads say.I'm not sure about all suits but mine has the inner wetsuit right the way through from ankles to coller to wrist so waterproofing mine isnt really a problem as the wetsuit inside stops you getting wet from the rain.
However, if you were to fall in or overboard these suits do not keep you dry!! even if all the wrist and ankle straps are done up tight. The wet suit allows water in but restricts the flow so allowing the water to heat up with your body temperature, thus keeping you warm and bouyant.
Some manufacturers advise checking for bouyancy every year but to this day I havent spoken to anyone who has tried this.

Whether your a shore or boat angler this will be the best bit of kit you could possibly buy.

·
Registered
568 Posts
LOL Blueskip :D

Thanks pixie. - thats the second thing I have learned today (floaty bit is neoprene inside not foam). Head is beginning to hurt with all this new info.

Turned into quite an intersting thread.

When I first bought my floatation suit I did ponder the possibility of trying the floatation aspect of it under a controlled situation, but I never did get around to trying it. The sea looked too cold, the bath is too small and I didn't think I would be welcome at the swimming pool.

Just curious (and hi-jaking the thread slightly) ... has anyone 'used' theirs, either in practice or for real ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Well Pixie you posed a real problem there, having washed it in the machine for years does it still work.?
Just got out of the bath with my suit on so I guess I didnt drown lol lol
I will peg it out in the morning and to answer the second part of the quuestion ,spray it when completly dry

1 - 16 of 16 Posts