World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have got an Abu 6500 CT Sports Mag and I have heard that you have to run them under the cold water tap when you get home to clean them of all the salt etc. Is this true? Does it not damage the internal components or fill with water??

I dont want to wreck my reel by not washing it but I dont want to ruin it by doing it the wrong way.

Please help!

G

·
I do this to all my reels when I get home, I currently use a pair of Penn 525 mags, I also use small coars type fixed spool reels in the sea, I know some who do not do this, but I do!

I also clean my rods after every trip, even my trusty Century Carbon Metal! It will get rid of all sorts of bits and pieces.

In short I would!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Ddraig,

You should was your reels and your rods with warm water after every trip. I use an old tooth brush, I then give them a good shake and leave them in the airing cupboard for as long as my wife lets me. The rods I dry off and store them in my garage. I am lucky, in that my garage is attached to the house.

These reels are very easy to maintain, have a look at the Abu web site and click schematics and the model of your reel you will see how easy it is.

A good tip is, if you have a digital camera, to take some pictures of your reel when you open it.

I assure you it is one of the easiest reels to maintain. A word of warning though, whatever you do, do not put oil or grease on your clutch, nothing serious happens if you do but you will have a job cleaning it off.

If you require any help just ask. If you click search and type in multipliers you will find numerous threads refering to reels

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers lads.

I have been a bit slack with my other gear, never washing it. But after shelling out a few bob for my new outfit I thought I'd best take care of it.

I've washed me rods and Im just about to do the same with my reel - cheers again.

Like the idea of that digicam when I eventually pull it apart, Im sure it will prove very useful.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Just let the tap water wash the outside and the coils of line. There's no need to open it up after every session. If you do or are worried about water ingress then do so, but when you've shaken all the drops off you can always give it a quick LIGHT spray with WD40 if the prescence of water worries you. The spray will repel water and leave a very thin film. Just keep everything warm (NOT HOT) and then put it away carefully. I also strip off the first 10 yds or so of line, after the shockleader, and check it for abrasion. I've got two spools for my Mag Elite so that I can easily use two weights of braid for different circumstances. So I get a look inside when I'm changing spools!

The method works as i've still got my original ABU although it did have new sideplates this year. I bought it originally in 1976!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would always exercise caution when using WD40 on the internals of any reel as it has the effect of diluting any grease on the gear surfaces and could at worse cause wear. On the outside WD40 is unbeatable.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What I do is after every fishing trip I have a shower, and I take my rods and reels in with me.

The rods get soaped and rinsed, the reels just get rinsed in fresh water, spun around, drained and left to dry

I get washed too!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Simon F said:
What I do is after every fishing trip I have a shower, and I take my rods and reels in with me.

The rods get soaped and rinsed, the reels just get rinsed in fresh water, spun around, drained and left to dry

I get washed too!
That's quite sweet ..... I sometimes feel like taking my new tackle to bed for a cuddle though, I have to admit!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts