World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been using a penn 525mag for the last 8months and i rinse it with fresh water after each trip, just wondering how often (or if at all) other fishers open their reels to clean the bearings ect.
i havent attempted to clean the reel inside as i dont want to ruin it but i dont want to ruin it by not cleaning the insides! it runs excellently so im not sure if i should be messing about with it any replies would be appreciated! :D

G

·
I use a 525 mag as well, I normally riinse the reels under the tap, slacken the drag off, and leave them to dry. Now and again I open them up and give them a drop or two of oil in the bearings, close them up and bobs your auntie!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks thats put my mind at rest although iv never oiled the bearings? how do you get to the bearings? (sorry if that sounds a stupid question but i only switched from a fixedspool to a multi at xmas so im a novice when it comes to them)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I`ll prob give my reels a good service about twice a year,other than that i just give the bearings a drop of oil every couple of trips,and put a bit of lube on the spindle.
Just undo the right side plate and take the whole thing off allowing you to remove the spool....you`ll see the bearings at either end...no need to mess around taking the bearings out or flushing with lighter fluid,just give them a couple of drops of oil and reassemble.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts