World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what are your opinion's on this me and my mate go fishing together i alway's out fish him by several fish he think's it's because he use's coloured line and i use clear but i say it's because he smoke's and i dont.!

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Joe,

On one of the charter boats that I fish from, the skipper bans the use of any coloured line, traces etc. He rekons that they spook the fish.

Cheers

Drew

B

·
0 Posts
I used to use coloured lines on the beach but now use clear simply because I fancied a change,:) I don't really think it makes much difference except when fishing for hard to catch species in clear water.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Never understood why the coloured lines aren't seen by fish when we use coloured beads to attract fish :confused:

We always use a flurocarbon (Berkley Vanish ) as a leader whenever possible and have proved to ourselves it definitely increases the catch. It's currently only available in UK to 21.8lb but bigger B.S. is meant to be coming soon.

We tried it as reel line but doesn't work too well; tangles etc. But as a leader, brilliant. Something to do with the lines refraction being 1.6 - similar to water?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have used both coloured and clear and couldnt find any difference,I must say I do prefer coloured line as it easier to see.

nige

·
Registered
66 Posts
clear line will be no better than coloured line if the refractive index is out, (think of a crack in a glass or mirror and how obvious that can be) as has been said above the refractive index of water is about 1.6 the closer the line is to this the less visible the line will be under water.

I tend to use black, brown, and shades of orange for my line, as the way I look at it these are colours that appear naturally in the water that I'm fishing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
When scuba diving line is visible to me, so I assume it is to the fish to. The colour of line is much harder to see underwarter it tends to all look black.

The other visible part of tackle is the lead weight. This is not always a bad thing as I've seen lots of fish being attracted to a bright lead weight, especially if it is moving and disturbing the sand. If enough fish find your weight sooner or later one will find the bait.

·
Registered
66 Posts
paid4tackledealersroller said:
Enough about the line-What has smoking got to do with anything?
If you smoke tar and nicotine etc. stick to the skin of your hands so when you bait up some of the smell of this is transferred to the bait and so slightly reduces the chance of the fish targeting your bait.

There is of course always the chance of hooking into a cod with a twenty a day habit :D

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I'll have to bear that in mind as another excuse to offer 'er indoors "sorry love didn't catch anything as the fish could smell the Marlboro on my hands through the macky guts, lug juice, rag blood and (slightly overripe) squid. On the subject of coloured line I usually use whatever colour matches my outfit-one has to be well presented at all times.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I fish mostly rough ground. Dues to the many snags, there will be a lot of leads, beads, hooks, snoods, and shock leaders all in various stages of rotting away/corroding etc. I know a good number of mine are down there

There will be quite a lot in the area - therefore the fish probably consider such things as part of their environment. They probably do not see a threat in lines of any colour as they will have seen it all before and come to no harm.

Are fish spooked by wrecks? - no they call it home!

I use brightly coloured lines and shock leaders, with clear snoods. I prefer the high visibilty stuff for night or poor light conditions, but also use the same stuff for clear water bright days.

I have not noticed any less bites due to using the coloured lines than when I have used clear lines in the past.

Now, does it make a difference on clean beaches with no snags? - Maybe, as its back to the usual environment thing again.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
barrie you said it all for me thank's mate.

·
Registered
438 Posts
my mate smoked idid not i had a lot more fish than him i am not saying iam a better fisherman than him i did think it was the ciggies

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sunny day today reminded me fish don't like smell/ taste of sun tan oil or UV protection creams.

So if you bait up whilst having a ciggie after putting on your UV protection - you've got no chance of catching. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Jack the Lad said:
Sunny day today reminded me fish don't like smell/ taste of sun tan oil or UV protection creams.

So if you bait up whilst having a ciggie after putting on your UV protection - you've got no chance of catching. :D
Pretty much the same as normal for me then :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts