World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are any places that I could go plugging around the North West coast that is quite clear water? Ive got a load of sub surface plugs which would be good for bass but its doing my head in plugging in morecambe bay which is like hot chocolate!

Are there any rock marks that are permanently under water like cornwall and places with species such as wrasse and pollock? Or is it all massive tidal range over silt which makes the sea so murky?

Ben

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Best rock marks I know of are the heads at St Bees - deep water at all states of tide, good for float and lure fishing. Not as prolific as Scottish or Cornish rock marks but it's possible to catch virtually anything there. Been some decent bass caught there recently.

Only down side is you virtually have to absail down the cliff with the rope and chain that are pegged into the side of the cliff.

Have also heard of Ravenglass producing bass on plugs but not sure what the water clarity is usually like. I fished some surface poppers up at Maryport the other week when the water was flat as a mill pond and (relatively) clear but never saw a fish.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Have a look at the Marks menu on this site, under England and North-West is one for St Bees South Heads, will give you a bit more info

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
#THINK you would be better heading off to Wales/anglsey water alot clearer down there for plugging if its pollack, wrass, bass that you are after loads of rock marks to fish

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
the water isn't that clear on the cumbria beaches, like tony says you can fish anglesea just about anywhere of the rocks and beaches theres clear water, try newborough beach along to llanwyn island its a long walk but you can spin as you go, plenty of bass on the beach and the island along with pollack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts