World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Cley North Norfolk – Part 3 – 30th June 6pm to 12:00pm – Return of the Macs?

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Sole intentions 
#1 ·
Thanks to Dene (Rite Gear) for the usual great bait (Lug and Squid) and for the helpful advice (as always) and I was setup and fishing by around 6pm.

High tide was ~8:30pm, sea slight (flood) to calm (ebb) with water crystal clear, sone annoying Weed from an hour before to an hour after high tide but manageable, wind was generally from SE... (~offshore) with a heavy shower on arrival.

Fished the usual two rods, one close with pennel pulley rig and one distance with another pennel pulley (testing some new type of circle hooks).

Both rods fishing lug with a cocktail of lug and squid on the distance Rod.

Generally, very slow and hard work with a huge number of whitebait in the water being chased by sandeels...so hope for some Macs then?

An almost deserted beach (one fellow angler who was leaving as I arrived had blanked) it suddenly got a bit busy with families turning (the usual feather brigade – not that there is anything wrong about that they were all clearly enjoying themselves).

Fortunately, I was largely on my own joined by a wonderful young angler (watched by his Dad) who was picking up a few Joey’s and his brother was having fun in a Kayak around the old wreck.

After putting some feathers on the short distance rod....eventually I had a string or two of Macs...most at or just under the limit...took 3 of the largest (as per limits) to freeze for bait.

About an hour after high water I was having another go with the feathers as the gull diving activity had increased.

But no Macs or Sandeels ...so one last chuck before reverting back to bait... and...bang...wow... I thought these Macs are a bit better size!

A few yards from the shore and ‘they’ went deep and parrel to the beach and it took some patience before I landed a surprise...

...’they’ was actually a 51cm Bass and it wasn’t too happy...😡...(see pics).

Although I dug out my old Atlantic Zoom lure rod and had a thrash about for an hour, I went back to the usual bait...

....however there was absolutely no run in the tide on the ebb...a 125gm wireless bomb was holding position and everything was dead...except for the whitebait and Sandeels.

I’m guessing that with the abundance level of food... Bass won’t be interested or focussed on anything other than Joey’s or Sandeels (so that’s a clue I guess on what bait you might want to take with you).

Also worth noting was at about 9:45pm I had a visit from the Fishery Enforcement Officer...(one of two on Patrol).

A very nice young lady introduced me (waving her warrant/identity) and they had a few questions to check if I knew what the current size limits are...and oh had I caught anything and can they look...😏...

Jfi...some near neighbours of ours told me they had visited them the previous day...hopefully this new ‘purge’ is a good thing.

With exception of the very wet start it had been a very pleasant evening.

Hope this helps anyone venturing out in ...tight lines and stay safe...
Vertebrate Fish Ray-finned fish Seafood Animal product

Sky Cloud Tarpaulin Tent Camping

Cloud Water Sky Slope Beach

Cloud Water Sky Natural environment Beach

Water Cloud Sky Boat Paddle

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks to Dene (Rite Gear) for the usual great bait (Lug and Squid) and for the helpful advice (as always) and I was setup and fishing by around 6pm.

High tide was ~8:30pm, sea slight (flood) to calm (ebb) with water crystal clear, sone annoying Weed from an hour before to an hour after high tide but manageable, wind was generally from SE... (~offshore) with a heavy shower on arrival.

Fished the usual two rods, one close with pennel pulley rig and one distance with another pennel pulley (testing some new type of circle hooks).

Both rods fishing lug with a cocktail of lug and squid on the distance Rod.

Generally, very slow and hard work with a huge number of whitebait in the water being chased by sandeels...so hope for some Macs then?

An almost deserted beach (one fellow angler who was leaving as I arrived had blanked) it suddenly got a bit busy with families turning (the usual feather brigade – not that there is anything wrong about that they were all clearly enjoying themselves).

Fortunately, I was largely on my own joined by a wonderful young angler (watched by his Dad) who was picking up a few Joey’s and his brother was having fun in a Kayak around the old wreck.

After putting some feathers on the short distance rod....eventually I had a string or two of Macs...most at or just under the limit...took 3 of the largest (as per limits) to freeze for bait.

About an hour after high water I was having another go with the feathers as the gull diving activity had increased.

But no Macs or Sandeels ...so one last chuck before reverting back to bait... and...bang...wow... I thought these Macs are a bit better size!

A few yards from the shore and ‘they’ went deep and parrel to the beach and it took some patience before I landed a surprise...

...’they’ was actually a 51cm Bass and it wasn’t too happy...😡...(see pics).

Although I dug out my old Atlantic Zoom lure rod and had a thrash about for an hour, I went back to the usual bait...

....however there was absolutely no run in the tide on the ebb...a 125gm wireless bomb was holding position and everything was dead...except for the whitebait and Sandeels.

I’m guessing that with the abundance level of food... Bass won’t be interested or focussed on anything other than Joey’s or Sandeels (so that’s a clue I guess on what bait you might want to take with you).

Also worth noting was at about 9:45pm I had a visit from the Fishery Enforcement Officer...(one of two on Patrol).

A very nice young lady introduced me (waving her warrant/identity) and they had a few questions to check if I knew what the current size limits are...and oh had I caught anything and can they look...😏...

Jfi...some near neighbours of ours told me they had visited them the previous day...hopefully this new ‘purge’ is a good thing.

With exception of the very wet start it had been a very pleasant evening.

Hope this helps anyone venturing out in ...tight lines and stay safe...
View attachment 1389891
View attachment 1389890
View attachment 1389888
View attachment 1389889
View attachment 1389887
B.E.A utiful. Awesome. Your quite right for the bass use fish as bait by day. crab,worm, squid by night work better by night for the next 6 weeks.
Great write up mate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.