World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived at beach around 20:00 to be met by a brisk NE wind which over the course of the evening started to generate a lovely wave set. Low water around 21:00 so the idea was to fish down and a few hours up.

Lug worm were very good: fresh, decent sized and well priced (thanks Steve)

I arranged base camp rigged both rods and cast out hoping for the wonderful first cast first bite scenario but not to be.

Vermin were about but not too bad.
After a couple of casts reeled in an undersized dab followed shortly after by another then caught a flounder which was paper thin. Didnt see the bites too well just a differnt pattern to the rod tip in the wind and wave.

Very near bottom of the tide I thought I saw the tip nodding so reeled in to find what looked like the first Whiting off the shingle.

Must be the smallest Bass I have ever caught: less than the width of my hand.

About an hour later I noticed the rod tip nod followed by another nod and then it pulled hard over and kept going.

Somethin in my brain told me to pick the rod up and start winding in. Strange that!
Whatever was on the other end had a different idea.

I was promptly pulled towards the water edge, the rod was bent double; so much so that I could hardly hold it upright and I could feel the butt starting to compress.
I managed to gain some line and then whatever it was really woke up.

Line started to be pulled from the multi in a steady stream as if I had hooked a train; it was just unstoppable. I did get some more line back in the more relaxed moments but in reality I knew which way it was going. The line parted after about 5 minutes.

Havent got a clue what it was but suspect a Seal or some other large fish eating mammal that was on its way to Blakeney point and decided to eat the flattie that was hooked on my line prior to its arrival.

After re-rigging I cast out again and went on to catch two more Bass. Both sizeable this time.

This wind / sea pattern is bound to set up a good feeding pattern over the next few days so get out there and cacth em

Oh and any ideas about my unexplained line stripper would be wecome.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Arrived at beach around 20:00 to be met by a brisk NE wind which over the course of the evening started to generate a lovely wave set. Low water around 21:00 so the idea was to fish down and a few hours up.

Lug worm were very good: fresh, decent sized and well priced (thanks Steve)

I arranged base camp rigged both rods and cast out hoping for the wonderful first cast first bite scenario but not to be.

Vermin were about but not too bad.
After a couple of casts reeled in an undersized dab followed shortly after by another then caught a flounder which was paper thin. Didnt see the bites too well just a differnt pattern to the rod tip in the wind and wave.

Very near bottom of the tide I thought I saw the tip nodding so reeled in to find what looked like the first Whiting off the shingle.

Must be the smallest Bass I have ever caught: less than the width of my hand.

About an hour later I noticed the rod tip nod followed by another nod and then it pulled hard over and kept going.

Somethin in my brain told me to pick the rod up and start winding in. Strange that!
Whatever was on the other end had a different idea.

I was promptly pulled towards the water edge, the rod was bent double; so much so that I could hardly hold it upright and I could feel the butt starting to compress.
I managed to gain some line and then whatever it was really woke up.

Line started to be pulled from the multi in a steady stream as if I had hooked a train; it was just unstoppable. I did get some more line back in the more relaxed moments but in reality I knew which way it was going. The line parted after about 5 minutes.

Havent got a clue what it was but suspect a Seal or some other large fish eating mammal that was on its way to Blakeney point and decided to eat the flattie that was hooked on my line prior to its arrival.

After re-rigging I cast out again and went on to catch two more Bass. Both sizeable this time.

This wind / sea pattern is bound to set up a good feeding pattern over the next few days so get out there and cacth em

Oh and any ideas about my unexplained line stripper would be wecome.
...must be a seal... no other poss.. the colony is very very large now and a few wander all the way along the bank.. it couldnt have been the 4-6-0 l.n.e.r engine i saw at holt sta in the morning ...lol...!!! foxy52

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
X2 on the Seal. Must of been surely to start compressing the butt of the rod.
I imagine it was in the scenario you suggested.
There's absolutely thousands of Seals out there. The UK must have it's highest Seal population in centuries. I saw a big old bull Grey Seal nearly 60 mile off from Lowestoft whilst on a survey so the buggers aren't afraid of a swim.
Good report though and nice one on a few fish...

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
They defo feed In darkness if they can. We trialled a load of pots overnight on a crab survey to see how they were on the bottom. Set at dusk/dark and picked up at first light, 10 or so of the 25 had been burgled.
A flattie on a string is easy pickings...

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I would think seal... there's lots there like foxy said and they have been munching on the small flats close in..

But do seal's feed in darkness...
...its gonna be a big prob for some unlucky soul when their prize rod and reel gets wrenched from the rest and subs it out to sea !!!.. it happened in kent a few months ago to an unlucky soul....!!!!.. though i must say at times over the years when fishing we have seen them bob up and down in front of us but not cause any probs.. comes to think of it its occurrence is not that rare as i can think of 4 counties i have seen them patrolling the shoreline while fishing invariably on storm beaches with steep to shingle and depth close in !!!.. caution then... big baits or a small fish on while rod in the stand...!!!......they are here in norfolk en masse for sure ... !!! foxy52..

·
Registered
366 Posts
...must be a seal... no other poss.. the colony is very very large now and a few wander all the way along the bank.. it couldnt have been the 4-6-0 l.n.e.r engine i saw at holt sta in the morning ...lol...!!! foxy52
Just as well it did break off. Not sure i would want to try and unhook a seal. Caught a seagull once while casting, that was bad enough trying to unravel the line from its wings (pecked and drew blood on both hands before it flew away)

·
Registered
366 Posts
...its gonna be a big prob for some unlucky soul when their prize rod and reel gets wrenched from the rest and subs it out to sea !!!.. it happened in kent a few months ago to an unlucky soul....!!!!.. though i must say at times over the years when fishing we have seen them bob up and down in front of us but not cause any probs.. comes to think of it its occurrence is not that rare as i can think of 4 counties i have seen them patrolling the shoreline while fishing invariably on storm beaches with steep to shingle and depth close in !!!.. caution then... big baits or a small fish on while rod in the stand...!!!......they are here in norfolk en masse for sure ... !!! foxy52..
And on orford, there are a few that come close in. Wont be leaving my rods on there own.!!!!!!!111

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Just as well it did break off. Not sure i would want to try and unhook a seal. Caught a seagull once while casting, that was bad enough trying to unravel the line from its wings (pecked and drew blood on both hands before it flew away)
...lol. seagulls are a perennial prob just1...many a time they fly into yr line and get tangled... pain in the ass dragging them in to free them.. happens more so in winter... tite lines foxy52

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.