World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went down to Wadebridge last Friday and signed in at the Art of Fishing for the Cornwall Lure Festival.
After the sign-in at the Art of Fishing in Wadebridge, I opted to go where I found fish during last years competition, and it paid off.

I arrived at the mark to witness at least half a dozen bait balls being herded up and down the shore.

By Mackerel
IMG_2447.JPG

Things are looking up, I thought.........................
After catching about twenty five I was getting really annoyed with them but, eventually a Small Bass managed to beat the greedy Mackerel to my new
SG Seeker.
Off the mark at last but, I forgot to put my entry number next to the fish.
IMG_2448.JPG

The SG Seeker was the only lure I had with me that would reach the bait ball but, at only 23g it wouldn't sink fast enough to get past the Mackerel.
Anyhow, I fished the ebb and the flood for 10 hrs but, only managed four more Bass, all caught on a SG Sandeel in the dark.
Best was 50cm.
IMG_2452.JPG

Then a 43cm
IMG_2454.JPG

A 32cm
IMG_2453.JPG

A 37cm
IMG_2455.JPG

I fished it again Saturday pm but, now the wind was northerly and the bait balls and Mack were gone.
All I managed to catch was a stinky Gar so,I moved on a mile or so and found a rock mark and after an iffy climb down started fishing.
Gars were in evidence yet again so I move out after giving it an hour or so.
IMG_2457.JPG

After another change of location 10 miles along the coast, it was time for steak & chips and a pint in a pub.
After a good feed, I went to a very rocky mixed ground mark nearby.
Light was fading and by the time I was in position it was fully dark but, the fishing was awkward in this tackle graveyard and I was struggling to cover enough water with any lures.
I climbed out of there at about 9pm without getting any meaningful fishing in but, successfully avoided breaking a leg or rod.
After a good look at google earth I tried a safer looking mark. It was a small sandy cove and when I arrived, I could see two headlamps moving about so, I drove away to check the map for another spot.
It was now midnight so, I parked up near my intend mark and decided to get some kip and start fishing again at first light.
So, Saturday was disappointing.
Sunday morning 5am, cold clear night with broken sleep.
After a hot cup of tea and bacon roll off I went.
When I got to the cliff edge a sign warned of no access due to land slip/erosion.
It was just after high tide with a nice 3-4ft rolling surf with wide tables. Yum yum, I just had to get down there!
In the half light I could just make out a length of rope about 50ft long.
Someone obviously likes this spot a lot I thought. A good sign!
I had to traverse a very steep and greasy slope to reach the rope but, I made it and was down on the beach in seconds. Sheltered from the northerly wind
I flung a white Sg V2 into the white foam of the first table but it seemed to get lost in the turmoil so, I immediately switched to a Gunfish and hooked up on the second cast.
Only mid thirties though.
Then another about same size.
Then another that came off.

Things are looking up already.
As the tide ebbed I moved into a boulder Strewn area in search of some bigger fish but got snagged up straight away.
I climbed onto a tank sized rock and cast across a large submerged weedy rock and was soon into a better fish.
I had to steer it away from kelp and get it through some gaps and gullies.
I started climbing down from my 12ft rocky perch and steered the fish towards me. I reached out to grab my line and it shook off before I could lift it out. It was around high 40's near 50 maybe. Bollocks.
The tide was moving out quickly and the fish were moving out with it so, I got back in the surf and had a few hits and caught two more Bass around 40cm on the Vulture #5.
Didn't bother taking fish pics as no real improvement on Friday's fish.
Got some lovely low tide pictures of my new found mark for future reference.
I won't be posting them, lol.

After about three hours I packed in and got on the road to Wadebridge for the trophy presentations.

No prize for me this year with only a 50cm fish but, as always I've learned a lot and added another good Cornish mark to my list.
About 80 Anglers entered the comp this year and lots of fish between 50-60cm were caught.

A 66cm won the best visiting Angler section.
A 74cm Bass caught on Sunday morning, won the comp.
Otherwise Northcoast would of won it again.
He came 2nd with a lovely 67cm fish. Well done Keith.:thumbsup:

I fished again for an hour on Sunday night near Bude and blanked.
Big surf and windy , water coloured up a bit.
Tried again in N. Devon Monday pm same big swell and conditions but, somehow hooked a tiny Turbot.
IMG_2467.JPG

IMG_2468.JPG

After four hard days/nights fishing, I finally arrived home at 9pm Monday night.
It's a great event and I'll be back down there again next year!:D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Most excellent Greg. Enjoyed that. Takes a while to build them marks up for all conditions. Well done on the turbo too! What's that lure?

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Well done Grieg, great story of your adventure And pics too ,enjoyed that
- sounds like had an all round successful trip when all the highs and lows of it are accounted for!

Reckon you are getting a very wide range of experience and knowledge in your retirement ;)

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most excellent Greg. Enjoyed that. Takes a while to build them marks up for all conditions. Well done on the turbo too! What's that lure?
Thanks Will.:thumbsup:
I'll probably fish in Cornwall more often now I have experience of a few marks down there. It's a long way to go and just turn up for a chuck and chance it session.
Not sure what that metal lures called.
Had it a good few years now though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well done on finding a good few there grieg,I know that sand sorry we never managed to catch up after in the pub but was pretty manic and absolutely smashed! Lovely report and cracking fishing on foriegn soil! Will pm you my number if ever you fancy hooking up next time your down. All the best, James

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well done Grieg, great story of your adventure And pics too ,enjoyed that
- sounds like had an all round successful trip when all the highs and lows of it are accounted for!

Reckon you are getting a very wide range of experience and knowledge in your retirement ;)
Cheers Angus. :thumbsup:
Well I caught three more Bass than at last years CLF but, they were mostly of a smaller size.
My real success of the weekend was the discovery of some great new ground which actually holds plenty of Bass, even with an off shore wind.
At least next time I can go there with a few options and a decent plan in mind.
I wasted a lot of valuable time on Saturday looking for a likely mark but, it was a case of having to react to the conditions.
Friday's mark went flat on Saturday so I had to make a move elsewhere.
All good learning though mate.:wink:

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well done on finding a good few there grieg,I know that sand sorry we never managed to catch up after in the pub but was pretty manic and absolutely smashed! Lovely report and cracking fishing on foriegn soil! Will pm you my number if ever you fancy hooking up next time your down. All the best, James
Nice one James.
Would love to meet up again in Kernow sometime!
I have to say, you looked dead on your feet after the presentation.
Hardly surprising after only four hours kip in three days, lol.
Congrats on getting 2nd spot in the Wrasse section as well mate.
Didn't you also bag the fourth spot prize for your 3 fish total length in the Bass comp?
What size were they James??
Epic weekend of fishing mate and thoroughly deserved your rewards.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Nice one James.
Would love to meet up again in Kernow sometime!
I have to say, you looked dead on your feet after the presentation.
Hardly surprising after only four hours kip in three days, lol.
Congrats on getting 2nd spot in the Wrasse section as well mate.
Didn't you also bag the fourth spot prize for your 3 fish total length in the Bass comp?
What size were they James??
Epic weekend of fishing mate and thoroughly deserved your rewards.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Minced is the best way to describe how I felt pal. Cheers.... Can't believe a 40cm wrasse by catch won me a prize! Nah I had lots of rats all weekend (nothing over 37 but managed a better one Sunday morning . It went 62.5cm and scooped me the fourth biggest bass. No trophy this year (one day though) but I did get a wee prize so pretty stoked.... Felt for the guy who came fifth as he had a 62dead.was hard fishing tbh with the wind as it was so I think you did pretty epic mate! Look forward to hearing from you, laters

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Great report Greig, sounds like you had a ball, but sounds just a bit to tiring for these old bones lol

Reactions: Banksea
1 - 20 of 32 Posts