World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a relative newcomer to shorefishing. I have had some success on rock marks for cod however landing fish from rock marks is a real problem even with heavy tackle. Does anyone have any tips on how to safely hoist the fish up without too much wear and tear on reels etc. Also, I have been using Fireline braid 50 lb b/s which gives really good bite indication but it does not seem to lay evenly across the spool of my reel (Abu 7000 levelwind). I have nylon mono backing below the braid and wondered if this was the problem. Thanks and a good New Year when it comes.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
braid dosent really lay right on a multiplyer as it beds in a lot
best used on big f/s reels

if i have to fish from cliff tops all i do is make the leader long enough to reach the water from were you are fishing and use heavier hook snoods and good quality strong hooks

i have winched up cod to 4lb up 30ft cliffs on standard beach gear before today

macky

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am lucky enough to fish some of the highest cliff marks there is (Bouldy/Cowbar).
My normal approach is to use a Conoflex highlander with a slosh30 loaded with 35 or 40lb red ice straight through.
I always fish near a fixture like a fence just in case I get into a fish which I cannot get up, I just tie the line off and go down at mid to low water and retrieve the fish (if its still on).
But I have been able to hand ball fish to 8lb up the cliff.
First and foremost please take CARE when fishing near the edge of cliffs, It can be the most dangerous fishing there is, have a good search around the area you intend to fish from, and dont get to close to the edge (obvious I know BUT).
A few weeks ago I fished Cowbar tops (250ft up) at night and got my feet caught up in someones discarded line, luck was on my side I fell backwards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
beachbum said:
I am a relative newcomer to shorefishing. I have had some success on rock marks for cod however landing fish from rock marks is a real problem even with heavy tackle. Does anyone have any tips on how to safely hoist the fish up without too much wear and tear on reels etc. Also, I have been using Fireline braid 50 lb b/s which gives really good bite indication but it does not seem to lay evenly across the spool of my reel (Abu 7000 levelwind). I have nylon mono backing below the braid and wondered if this was the problem. Thanks and a good New Year when it comes.
hi m8t best way i have found is a simple drop net i used an old big landing net and some light rope i have avery long one and a small one and have never lost a fish this way give it a try it morks and if it is a bit windy tie a couple of weights to the bottom of the net

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that mate. I will give this a go. I have an old salmon landing net which will probably do nicely. There are always two of us on these marks so one can deal with the rod whilst the other does the net. We had 8 cod last weekend but the biggest was only about 3 lbs so we had no problem hoisting them up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts