World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help,i have found what looks like a good mark ,only problem is getting down the last 30 feet,easy with a rope ,but what is the best way of anchoring it, the cliff at the top is rock and broken slate with grass further up ,i was planning on driving a pole into the ground,just wondered if there is any other way,not sure if i would get away with those cams wedged in the rock crevices,please help this spot is never fished and needs some serious attention,any ideas on where i could get an anchor pin strong enough,thanks in advance:g:

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
can anyone help,i have found what looks like a good mark ,only problem is getting down the last 30 feet,easy with a rope ,but what is the best way of anchoring it, the cliff at the top is rock and broken slate with grass further up ,i was planning on driving a pole into the ground,just wondered if there is any other way,not sure if i would get away with those cams wedged in the rock crevices,please help this spot is never fished and needs some serious attention,any ideas on where i could get an anchor pin strong enough,thanks in advance:g:
im on the case first thing in the morning the guys in our workshop will make one for you no problems mate:)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi
I got a few rock marks i fish and have to climb down by rope to i drill the rock and put in a stainless eye bolt with resin put two in if you feel more comfortable

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
I have been known to install a stainless steel hanger and fix to the rock using a 8mm Rawl Bolt to provide a strong belay/anchor point in popular rock climbing locations, where there is a lack of sound and safe belay points at the top of the cliff. Used a hammer and a manual drill piece to drill into the rock for the rawl bolt.

Otherwise, look for something strong like a natural slab of solid rock or a strong tree. You may need to go back a bit from the cliff edge to get a decent fixing, but if it is out of the way, nobody should disturb it.

How are you planning to get back up? Is it a slippery slope, which you can walk up hand over hand or a vertical cliff - prussic loops, etc?!

Steinbeisser

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
I have been known to install a stainless steel hanger and fix to the rock using a 8mm Rawl Bolt to provide a strong belay/anchor point in popular rock climbing locations, where there is a lack of sound and safe belay points at the top of the cliff. Used a hammer and a manual drill piece to drill into the rock for the rawl bolt.

Otherwise, look for something strong like a natural slab of solid rock or a strong tree. You may need to go back a bit from the cliff edge to get a decent fixing, but if it is out of the way, nobody should disturb it.

How are you planning to get back up? Is it a slippery slope, which you can walk up hand over hand or a vertical cliff - prussic loops, etc?!

Steinbeisser
NO WAY WOULD I TRUST MY LIFE ON AN 8MM RAWL BOLT YOU MUST BE JOKING MATE:yucky:

·
Registered
706 Posts
lol you appear to have the same mindset as me... how will I get down there? Instead of shame I can't get down there cos I will probably die!!!

I am thinking of investing in some of those climbing 'nuts' (little asymetric blocks attached to wire loops) which are jammed into small cracks and crevices. The cams are used for bigger gaps apparently, but seem very expensive! I would prefer to use the solid anchorage approach at the top i.e. tie the rope around a big lump of rock. Then maybe use these nut things to create fixing points for those diagonal climbs that don't go straight down.

The biggest problem a lot of the time is getting all the gear down and back up, plus getting back up yourself of course!

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Dont want to sound like a woman but,,,, Have you got a proper harness? and will you be wearing a helmet and appropriate climbing footwear for the descent? I also go rockclimbing in my spare time and cringe at some of the things i see people do, apart from anything its darn right dangerous. So just be careful, no fishing spot is worth risking your life for.

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
i would say the best way is to place multiple anchor points on the way down just to keep it safe this also means you can move left to right easily without danger of falling

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Dont want to sound like a woman but,,,, Have you got a proper harness? and will you be wearing a helmet and appropriate climbing footwear for the descent? I also go rockclimbing in my spare time and cringe at some of the things i see people do, apart from anything its darn right dangerous. So just be careful, no fishing spot is worth risking your life for.
you wanna se some of the places we fish with out any ropes n stuff mate,but you do have a very valid point there...

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Good effort that , climbing down a cliff to fish, full points awarded.
How about geting back out?

As for the anchoring aspect , when I was in the forces we used ground anchors for recovery off road, basicly a length of metal , drilled so you could drive pegs into the ground this then had a shakle on one end to attach a wire bond.
Would be quite east to make a light weigt version for your job.

The other thing you could do is get a yard bag, like what sand comes in and fill it with rocks, and just tie off on he handles.
I know nothing of climbing, but these things could work for you.
JonC

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Safety first mate. Its adviseable not to make a descent when the rocks are wet or greasy. If it looks like it may rain then don't go down. trust me it can be very dangerous climbing on wet, slippery rock surfaces, especially if you are not wearing a harness or only have a rope.

·
Registered
25,678 Posts
Eug ,
Initially can you not just fish from the top to see if you catch anything?

Anchors ... don't climb alone or try and fix anchors alone.best if a party of three. one to observe( get help? ) whilst the other two do a buddy buddy descent.

Coming off the top of the cliff on to a rock face.

You can drill angle iron lengths , at least four of one mtr x 50 angle iron strips with at least six 15 mm holes on each side then invert the iron to be Vee down knock in a 400 mm headed hard pointed pin in each hole , fasten a shackle to the end of each anchor and tie off a double loop between the anchors then run your climbing line off the loop so as to evenly spread the load between the two anchors .( laid out , it would look like you have spread your fingers out and your climbing rope is your arm )

At the very least use a 30 foot waist line and a caribiner or two interlocked ones that will not undo when the rope runs through or use a proper a descendeur link A high center of gravity harness and descendeur link is best..

Thread a free doubled safety line to a separate anchor system use the safety man to help you test the anchors and run the safety line , you can assist him when you are both on the ledge and off the rope. You can then assist the first guy back up the face when you finish fishing and they can do assist you from the top.

Putting safety bolt in rock faces .. unless it is a very solid hard rock you will need a 100 mm or more in the rock and make sure the bolts can hold at least double the weight of the heaviest man ..chemical anchors are ok but check with the maker that they will hold in your rock ..some chemical anchors aren't so hot in lime stone or chalk.

Be very wary of climbing on some one else's anchors as you don't know how safe they are or how long they have been there etc.

Cliff tops at the sea side are notoriously crumbly / loose wear proper hard hat fastened up ( NO yank movie hero's please ) gloves and suitable foot wear ..trainers or wellies are death traps.

If all I have said is gobble de **** please , for the rescuers sakes , go and fish some where much safer.

David

·
Registered
229 Posts
In reference to anchor points i use my eyelets so that i can attach a length of rope to steady my self no way do i absail or rock climb down cliffs as was said easy going down how you going back up on my marks it is not possible to fish from on top the cliffs as it is a conger mark and no way would i do hit and miss gaffing i want my fish going back

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
interesting read this... do it the F1F3R way, slide down on yer floaty suit , worry about getting back up when at bottom .. :)

kidding honestly lol. sounds pretty dangerous, and great advise from the guys that know. take care whatever way you decide and let us know how you got on.

all the best
Andy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts