World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone used this to secure soft baits on the hook , i think it would work quite well
instead of or as an alternative to thread
any thoughts ?

just an afterthougfht but couldnt you make pellets or sausages of say mussels and just thread them onto a hook using this ?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
anyone used this to secure soft baits on the hook , i think it would work quite well
any thoughts ?

just an afterthougfht but couldnt you make pellets or sausages of say mussels and just thread them onto a hook using this ?

Not used clingfilm before, why not use pva bags as they disintegrate in the water

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
any thoughts ?

not a good idea m8 ,you would be putting rubbish into the sea !

Mark

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Pre bait thread they used use silver foil on the crab baits to stop stripping and to keep the bait on. As already mentioned clingfilm doesn't seem like a good idea.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Why not just put the bait in a tupperware container with an apple and a kit-kat and be done with it?!!:)

Clingfilming baits on.... whatever next! Is the fish supposed to guess what's inside, or ask a friendly crab to help out with unwrapping the contents?!!:g:

·
Registered
3,150 Posts

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wouldnt wrapping the bait up in clingfilm keep all the scent in?Whats wrong with using thread?
i was thinking the scent wopuld escape through the holes made putting it on the hook and adding a few more once mounted
and i thought after a few minutes in the water it would work loose and fall off leaving an exposed bait (perhaps securing it would stop it polluting the sea and make it retrievable )
nothing wrong with thread but it tends to rip into baits (especially mussels )and isnt exactly foolproof
and how biodegradable is it , ill bet theres an alternative eco friendly clingfilm out there
pva bags sound ok, tights would be just as polutting as clingfilm surely

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
i was thinking the scent wopuld escape through the holes made putting it on the hook and adding a few more once mounted
and i thought after a few minutes in the water it would work loose and fall off leaving an exposed bait (perhaps securing it would stop it polluting the sea and make it retrievable )
nothing wrong with thread but it tends to rip into baits (especially mussels )and isnt exactly foolproof
and how biodegradable is it , ill bet theres an alternative eco friendly clingfilm out there
pva bags sound ok, tights would be just as polutting as clingfilm surely
Exactly mate. Hardly a problem really. The tights method always brings back the tights sausage or whats left unless you snag up and pull for a break, cause its hooked on well through the tights in the first place.
I don't think you will find a biodegradeable cling film. It needs to stand up to long exposure to food. The can't have it dissolving on your food!

If you want a clear film not sure you will get one that melts. PVA dissolving bags are the way to go possibly.

One guy on the forum uses plumbers pipe freeze to spray the mussels and freeze them on the hook once loaded up.:)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the possible mixed bait sausages you could get using clibgfilm is endless
even ribbons of the stuff would be an improvement on elastic thread
you wouldnt need a lot of it either just rolled some round a mini pork sausage (i guess about the size of average bait )
and the amount is about the size of a pea when rolled up

·
Registered
32 Posts
Soft bait you can use cotton finger bandage to make bait sausages, or just use the mantle off a squid, bait elastic round the top, puncture the squid with one of your lead spikes

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Compared to the amount of plastic and nylon line on traces left littering the sea bed snagged in their hundreds each week. :g:

A little cling film left by Lobbit won't make much difference.:)

true but i am sure most anglers dont set out to lose gear ,the problem with cling film is it doesnt cling in water and wont last long once it hits the sea bed plus its not biodegradable,where other bait holding methods are biodegradable e.g bait elastic rots,finger bandage rots ,pva disintegrates on contact with water .

a product on this very forum could solve the problem D-VICE not used it yet but it looks a cracking idea .

Mark

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
the possible mixed bait sausages you could get using clibgfilm is endless
even ribbons of the stuff would be an improvement on elastic thread
you wouldnt need a lot of it either just rolled some round a mini pork sausage (i guess about the size of average bait )
and the amount is about the size of a pea when rolled up
I see despite many better suggestions you are still clinging to your film idea.:)
It's turkey Lobbit.:g: Knightprowlers squid one is a good one though allready covered amongs other suggestions in the mussel thread I gave you.:)

Here it is again below in case you missed it. It is tried and tested. I never use it fresh now. I prepare all my baits before hand and freeze them. You always have bait to hand then. Head of Loch Sunart for huge mussels! I bring them back in big sack.
I have had good Thornbacks and Spurdogs in the west coast sea lochs And lots of Cod and Coalfish off the east coast rocks on the frozen mussel cocktails :clap3:

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64898

"Shell your mussels and pack them into the cut of leg of a pair of womans tights fines denier you can buy and a nice tan mussel colour.

Once you have packed them in tie of one end with string. Roll the lot out into a long sausage shape. Tie off into smaller sausage size bits with the string. Cut them off and use or freeze them. You can also add other stuff into the mussel, some squid etc. I've even added (pulped) fish roe and shrimps, anything fishy to the mussels or even old lug.

It can be blasted to the horizon without fear off falling apart.:)

You can even pack them into those little Calamari Squid bodies to make an attractive long casting bait.
Poke a few holes in the flesh to let out the scent.:)"

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
true but i am sure most anglers dont set out to lose gear ,the problem with cling film is it doesnt cling in water and wont last long once it hits the sea bed plus its not biodegradable,where other bait holding methods are biodegradable e.g bait elastic rots,finger bandage rots ,pva disintegrates on contact with water .

a product on this very forum could solve the problem D-VICE not used it yet but it looks a cracking idea .

Mark
Hi Mark I saw it. Looks good.
Can't see it catching on up here on the snaggy east coast of Scotland though. You could lose six leads in as many casts at times. If you don't fish in the snags were the fish are you don't catch.
Add £1.50 a shot to your end gear? An expensive trip then on top of everything else.
Clean beaches though. I'm sure it will work. But I'll stick to my cheaper bait delivery system for here.:)

Bait clips/shields/beads and all the other daft stuff you see on rigs are not biodegradeable. Niether is your Dvice if you lose it?:g:

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
It might have being suggested but what about the degradable PVC bags carp anglers use? That way you could bait up with soft baits and as it degraded quickly you would also be left with groundbait around your hook. Just an idea, but it works very well for carp angling.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Hi Mark I saw it. Looks good.
Can't see it catching on up here on the snaggy east coast of Scotland though. You could lose six leads in as many casts at times. If you don't fish in the snags were the fish are you don't catch.
Add £1.50 a shot to your end gear? An expensive trip then on top of everything else.
Clean beaches though. I'm sure it will work. But I'll stick to my cheaper bait delivery system for here.:)

aye i know would be very usefully on clean beaches ,might get a few but will stick to the bait elastic for the rough stuff .

tight lines m8

Mark

1 - 20 of 38 Posts