World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having used both the Up & Over & "Pulley" Dropper Rig I've come to the conclusion that the Clipped Down Running Ledger is by far the best of the three. What I mean to say is, if you'd like a long flowing Snood well away from the Lead this IMHO is the best option. Though, I may still use the Up & Over ? As for the "Pulley" Dropper ? I think not. Reference last advice - Subsituted a Cascade Swivel for a Gemini Genie Bent Rig Clip.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
That's what I call an up & over? What does everyone else call an up and over then?

You're right it's a great rig, the best clean ground big fish rig you can get IMO

Reactions: lipslicker

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
That's what I call an up & over? What does everyone else call an up and over then?

You're right it's a great rig, the best clean ground big fish rig you can get IMO
Standard up and over is a swivel trapped by beads and crimps down near the lead with the snood line running up and over the rig clip same as above.

The benefit of the rig above is that it acts like a running ledger once cast.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Most up and overs have the lead fixed , this is like a bolt rig but clipped in place , have had quite a few rays on this set up recently and has out fished identical rod , bait using a standard clipped down pennell

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hiya Mr D M, quite like your rig idea. Might knock myself a few up for my Ray sessions & see how they fare against the Up & Overs i normally use.
Rick;)
I'll still use the Up & Over from time to time. But this is far better. You've got a Trace of up to 10FT. Well away from the Lead flowing in the Tide. Plus instant Bite Detection ! As soon as the Fish takes your Bait the tension is instantly transferred to your Rig Body / Shock Leader. Brilliant Rig. You can put a nice big Bait & good distance with this Rig.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Standard up and over is a swivel trapped by beads and crimps down near the lead with the snood line running up and over the rig clip same as above.

The benefit of the rig above is that it acts like a running ledger once cast.
Most up and overs have the lead fixed , this is like a bolt rig but clipped in place , have had quite a few rays on this set up recently and has out fished identical rod , bait using a standard clipped down pennell
If you google up and over rig you get images of both the fixed lead and running lead variety. Personally I think they're both up and over rigs. If you look at clipped running ledgers they are invariable clipped up at the top of the rig, obviously not good for aerodynamics and casting.

I use the running lead variety of up and over above for almost all of my hound and Ray fishing over clean ground, its unequaled IMO as Luke says it allows a long, running trace to be cast a long distance.

·
Registered
10,238 Posts
I uploaded instructions for that exact rig about 9-10 months ago.
Not going to say I invented it, because I feel sure somebody else must have come up with it as well over the years, but I could not find any diagrams or anything for it.
Because I use it as a distance rig on tide marks and mixed ground, I incorporated a 'rotton bottom' into the sinker.
Nice rig.
Good to see others using and enjoying.

http://www.worldseafishing.com/forums/threads/pulley-dropper.3574132/#post-7974398

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It would be interesting to know the preferences other Folk have ? In respect to Snood Length, Breaking Strain, Rig Length, Ect Ect. That way we can ascertain what may or may not prove more successful. Depending on Ground & Weather Condition.

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Hiya again Mr D M, at the mo on my up & overs my rig bodies are anything between 3 & 5ft long which allows me to use hooklengths upto 8 or 9ft long. I use clear Greased Weasel for my hooklength in minimum 50lb b/s as i pick up a few good Huss on my Ray sessions & they soon make a bollox of lighter line. Hook wise Sakuma Manta's or Varivas Big Mouths in sizes 4/0 or 5/0
Rick;)

·
Banned
2,351 Posts
If you have a look at the Totally Awesome Fishing Channel on You Tube there is an episode called Big Cod, Winter Beach Fishing dated 4/12/15. It is a really good episode. The angler on that shows this rig with a couple of tweeks and uses it to catch some decent fish.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
I uploaded instructions for that exact rig about 9-10 months ago.
Not going to say I invented it, because I feel sure somebody else must have come up with it as well over the years, but I could not find any diagrams or anything for it.
It used to be widely used when I was a kid for uptiding with big Eel baits for Tope in the Thames Estuary (we are talking early 70s) and it was well established then, not just locally. I've seen it published in books and mags around the same time .... people forget there were these old-fashioned things we used to use to pass on info before the internet arrived.

Many, myself included ditched the running bit later on and moved over to using fixed rigs (up and over you'd call them these days) for the Tope because fishing "bolt" style seemed to cause less deeply hooked fish and a better connection rate when uptiding.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
It used to be widely used when I was a kid for uptiding with big Eel baits for Tope in the Thames Estuary (we are talking early 70s) and it was well established then, not just locally. I've seen it published in books and mags around the same time .... people forget there were these old-fashioned things we used to use to pass on info before the internet arrived.

Many, myself included ditched the running bit later on and moved over to using fixed rigs (up and over you'd call them these days) for the Tope because fishing "bolt" style seemed to cause less deeply hooked fish and a better connection rate when uptiding.
I have to agree with Russ here, I have used this rig over the last couple of years, as well as a fixed up and over, and have found the connection ratio is the same, but the running ledger does seem to produce a higher rate of deep hooked fish.
Our waters over here are generally coloured and my preferred rig is a pully dropper.
This is just my opinion and what works for me as I do try to operate a catch and release system
Rob

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would refer to that as the up-n-over running ledger.

Personally I use a Shakespeare Salt bait clip at the top, which sits between stopknots and can be adjusted for different length traces.

Casting strain is therefore always taken on the bead and swivel at the bottom of rig body, the hook never takes any casting strain.
Also my rig body runs through a Gemini clip which has a thick guage of wire, no right angled edges and always hangs straight when clipped.

The Gemini clip can be covered with a piece of drinking straw to prevent possible snagging of the trace (snood). In the photo the tiny (size 10 100lb "power swivel") swivel is also covered to prevent it escaping or twisting with the Breakaway Splashdown Solo bait clip.

The u.n.o. Running ledger is best for casting up into the tide and retrieving the slack if/as it trots back _toward_ angler (i.e. with wired/flat lead).
The u.n.o. (long-n-low?) Paternoster is best when casting across the tide and letting the rig swing _past_ the angler (i.e. with rolling pear lead).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts