World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does it mean when someone uses the phrase "clipped down bait"??
cheers

rich

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
simply put it means to use some form of clipping the bait down before casting to make a more streamlined rig, also it protects the bait.
There are alsorts of methods to do this Like Impact shields, Cascade swivels, or you could use an Impact lead with a built in clip.

have a look at the link below, you will get plenty of tips there.
http://www.worldseafishing.com/news/214/

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'll tell you what I think it is, then if I'm wrong we will both have learned something.

If you follow the line down from the rod tip there is a spot on a clipped down rig where the hook length (snood) leaves the main line by using a blood knot? or a three way swivel. the main line continues down to the lead weight but just above this is a bit of plastic or metal shaped like a hook and the hook (fishing) is hooked onto this so the hook line is tight and the main line is slightly loose.

I think the idea is so the bait (on the hook) stays close in behind the lead and provides less wind resistance during casting. Upon impact with the water surface the lead stops momentarily but the hook length carries on thereby unhooking itself from the bit of plastic.

If the snood leaves the main line (by knot or swivel) just in front of the weight and is attached to a hook back up the line, this is called "Clipped up". I have no doupt someone far more experienced than I will clarify if I've got it wrong! Cheers, Tony O-P.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If you don't clip a bait down and try to welly it out then you get an effect called "helicoptering" which decreases distance and your bait hits the water without the protection of the weight breaking the surface of the water and the bait can smash up into little pieces when it hits.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cheers lads, just bought myself a few impact shields and understand them fully, top marks!!
rich

·
Severn Area Rescue
12,366 Posts
I'll tell you what I think it is, then if I'm wrong we will both have learned something.

If you follow the line down from the rod tip there is a spot on a clipped down rig where the hook length (snood) leaves the main line by using a blood knot? or a three way swivel. the main line continues down to the lead weight but just above this is a bit of plastic or metal shaped like a hook and the hook (fishing) is hooked onto this so the hook line is tight and the main line is slightly loose.

I think the idea is so the bait (on the hook) stays close in behind the lead and provides less wind resistance during casting. Upon impact with the water surface the lead stops momentarily but the hook length carries on thereby unhooking itself from the bit of plastic.

If the snood leaves the main line (by knot or swivel) just in front of the weight and is attached to a hook back up the line, this is called "Clipped up". I have no doupt someone far more experienced than I will clarify if I've got it wrong! Cheers, Tony O-P.

:clap3: :clap3: :clap3: :clap3: spot on

1 - 6 of 6 Posts