World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Close but no cigar..

957 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Richard1973 
#1 ·
As per my previous post, had a nice session on the rays last week and had a good return with SEs and spotties.

Went a couple of days later, already anglers on BOTH of the marks I fish in the area so tried a different ledge... 7 spotties, friend had 2 spotties and 2 SE. I was determined to catch a blonde and thorny.. so I stopped using sandeel and stuck to bluey.

Within 5 minutes, a long pullover and hold, then the ratchet started going, hit into something heavy, I got it to the waters edge and about 10/15 yards away, a nice size ray.. and the hook pulled. Now I'm reluctant to say it was a blonde, but it didn't go like a SE, if it was a SE it would have been a good size and didn't have the colours of a thorny.. so I was a bit gutted. Done another bluey bait and put it out. 10 minutes later I noticed my rod was pulling over but the line went uptide about 40/50 yards, hit into it and felt nice weight, this time fish landed, same rig as the dropped ray landed an 8lb thorny. Almost done the slam in a couple of hours 😞!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.