World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Material as per the heading - has anybody tried making lures out of this stuff ?

Talking to a mate of mine who makes coarse fishing floats for a living he tells me it comes in different densities and can be made rock-hard, sealed and/or painted. It can be sanded down to shape or heat-carved or moulded so it seems to me like a possible material for making lures but I don't want to waste hours trying it if anyone else has done it and failed for whatever reason !

·
Registered
5,611 Posts
I don't think you could make good lures from it. The reason I say that is given the cost of it, if you could im sure big brands would be doing it to make more profit.

·
Registered
3,234 Posts
The problem I see is that it will be too light and too buoyant. It'd take a lot of lead to give it any casting weight or to get it to dive or sink. Most wood has it's own inherent weight and density which is why wood choice is so important when making lures. Different woods suit different lure types.

·
Registered
19,778 Posts
A baillif at Rutland Water used to make some brilliant lures..made to look like a perch fry..that he used well for catching big trout...I still have one from 1993..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts