World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all i am 14 and i am looking to join a club does anyone know any clubs that would have places for my age thanks all i live in the north east so anywhere locoally would be great

thanks all

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Hi Rob, i think most if not all clubs have Junior sections. Choose the one easiest for you & ask the question. Good luck.

·
Registered
453 Posts
hi all i am 14 and i am looking to join a club does anyone know any clubs that would have places for my age thanks all i live in the north east so anywhere locoally would be great

thanks all
rob seaham angling club accepts junior members and they have thier own comps every 2 weeks thats about 25 comps as well as opens friday night badgers and a members xmas comp if you fish more than 7 comps in the year plenty of help is at hand all members willing to help and teach as well very friendly club

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:punk:i would love to go to seham but the problem is transport it is a canny drive from where i live i was just looking for a club that fishes the tyne and other places thanks for the info tho really appriciate it cheers all

·
Registered
31 Posts
Robbie, you can pm me and I can if you request pay a visit to your home to speak to your parents about joining a club. You see I am secretary of the south shields and district sea angling club and we have an honarary junior section and we fish the tyne as well as lots of other marks, but there is a lot of politics revolving around juniors and its not just in fishing clubs, it is all clubs that look after juniors. If you pm me with your phone number I will be in touch as soon as possible.

keith

·
Registered
11,285 Posts
lots of clubs now dont have a junior section [ours included] because of the legal minefield involved.

child protection is there for the protection of the children involved and the adults looking after them and is now law.

anyone running a junior section without all the correct paperwork in place is asking for trouble.

we only allow children to fish our matches if there parent or guardian is with them all the time.

its a shame really because i ran a kids section for years. they loved it and we had no problems but times are changing.

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
lots of clubs now dont have a junior section [ours included] because of the legal minefield involved.

child protection is there for the protection of the children involved and the adults looking after them and is now law.

anyone running a junior section without all the correct paperwork in place is asking for trouble.

we only allow children to fish our matches if there parent or guardian is with them all the time.

its a shame really because i ran a kids section for years. they loved it and we had no problems but times are changing.

Changing for the worst Bill mate

·
Registered
542 Posts
aye ray,i know graham runs it but i thought they had a junior section as i thought his girls uded to be in it,maybe i am wrong
wasnt sure myself jimmy thats why i said ask sless like dabcatcher said working with kids is a legal minefield with enhanced disclosure needed.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same as our club, we have three juniors registerd in our club and when we fish any competition they must be accompanied by either their parent, a guardian or a carer, who are totally responsible for these juniors. So that is why the South Shields & District Sea Angling Club have only an honourary junior section with no subs to pay till they become a fully fledged member at the age of 18 .

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
The situation with juniors is just bonkers and as Robbie shows it is the kids themselves who are missing out.

When I was Robbies age I lived in Peterlee and would regularly be up and out of the house at all hours of the day and night fishing the beach down at Horden (coming home in the early hours, or getting up at two am to fish the early morning HT).

I was also a member of Seaham SAC which had a very active junior section and plenty of juniors like myself used to fish the senior matches as well. I loved fishing and the club so much I was even on the committee by the time I was 16, back when George Tully (RIP) was secretary in the late '80's. It was the best way to learn, not just fishing but how to hold your own as there was always lots of banter flying around.

Personally I blame the media, it is there sensationalism that means we are all now regarded as potential paedo's. The fact is that most kids who are abused it happens in the home, usually by a relative or close family friend. Fortunately the sicko's like Huntley are few and far between, but because the papers would have us think otherwise, Robbie and thousands of kids like him miss out on the stuff most of us took for granted when we were growing up.

Sorry... Rant over:preachon: And good luck Robbie in finding a club and no matter what happens - keep loving your fishing:thumbs:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts