World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone would be interested in doin a clyde pollock thread. When ther in thers good numbers of them and some of the sizes are pretty good with some 5lbers I know about caught last year. It could get quite competitive and might be interesting to see whats about. It would just be from the shore and it would cover the whole clyde. Just post up a pic and a wee report of roughly where u are, not the exact spot or anything. The prize for the biggest pollock is gloating rights for 2014. Any thoughts then?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Ill have a bash at it as soon as better weather comes.. :) Not had anything over 4lb from the clyde but will see what happens this summer :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aye m8. If thers a wee push towards catching a decent pollock from the shore folk might put some more effort into it and it might throw up a few good fish. I caught 1 just under 4lb last year and an old woman caught 1 just before me that apparently dwarfed it on a wee 10 quid rod and reel from somewhere like pound stretcher or something so the bigger ones are ther. Its a wee change from the cod which can be thin on the ground. Maby with the mild winter they'll show up in a month or two . Cheers m8 Good luck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aye m8. Well im gonna gee it a go next week it'd be a disaster if I started a thread and wasn't up ther near the top at the end of it. Hopefully the word spreads and when the catches of decent pollock pick up this'll be a good wee thread.

·
Registered
172 Posts
There are some big ones to be had. I'm not saying where, but I've seen them up to 8-10lb just from dropping a bait straight down under your feet.

Edit: That's in the Clyde, not down here. :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh I believe it m8 ive got 3 marks I know produce decent sized one's ill kind of give 1 of them away. Just past largs... ther u go folks, had a few of decent size ther. But the other 2 ill keep for now unless someone comes out with me. Hope to prove myself right and land a 5lber or bigger this year without going to the mull area. So when u land 1 post it up, as I said im not expecting anyone to say exactly where or anything just report a good pollock from the clyde and from the shore. Hope to see 1 or 2 posts in the next month or 2. Im off to Rothesay in may so im hopin I get something ther. Keep spreadin the word... cheers.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to give tgis a wee jump start. Been out a few times to saltcoats and hunterston and thers plenty of different species starting to show except the pollock any luck out ther yet?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Great thread and one i'll be trying my best to post on this year, look forward to the task ahead.............

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been out 4 times to saltcoats in the last week. Blanked tonight only 2 bites to show for the effort. Fished high tide down from 6 till 10. Last few visits have turned out 5 cod just under a pound, 3 scorpion fish 2 very small and 1 about a pound, 2 rockling and a duggie. Thers been other catches too but still nothing to set the heather on fire but still a big change since last month and hopefully next month this thread can kick in with some good pics and reports of decent pollock I think I said over a 2.5lb from shore but if anyone gets 1 smaller feel free to put up a pic and wee post anyway. Spread the word and good luck everyone on havin the biggest shore caught clyde pollock braggin rights. Try sayin that last bit fast haha.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Was out friday sat to see whats about. Decided to try my fav spot near hunterston and put my 2 new rods and reels to the test. Mitchell avocast 8000 is a beast!!!!! Got the car loaded quick style after work an headed out wi frozen bluey, mackerel and razor. Fished mid to high tide and back down again on friday. Had a stonker of a bite in the first 10 mins an then nothing not even a nibble in all 7 hours of fishing but got plenty o rigs made while waiting. Planned to go to mull area to beat the blank and woke up at mid day so that plan was out the window. Low tide was 3ish yesterday so went out for a dig at lugworm, cockles and scratched around for peeler. All Loaded up I decided to hit the same mark with better bait. 3 hours in same again I thought about packing up an headin home for a beer then bang a pollock to just over 1.5lb. Then the other rod rattles while im dealing with the fish I just landed another pollock around the 1lb mark. It was on I thought, loads of bites from about 9pm through till 12.30. Lost a good fish which I think was a cod maby 2 to 3 lb but all in all 7 pollock from half an lb to just under 2lb. 2 rocklin. Ive been out twice a week to saltcoats ect an havent touched a pollock or much of anything else so maby ther startin to show in better numbers. This was the pick of the bunch an the only 1 I kept due to the fish bein deep hooked.

ForumRunner_20140511_140232.jpg

·
Registered
142 Posts
Least you got something for your efforts, not caught anything this year apart from starfish ps they were big ones

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha nice 1. Had 1 big starfish myself yesterday. sometimes they just hammer the bait when its calm if the crabs dont get it first but when u get through them at hunterston thers good pollock to be had still a bit early tho I think the 2 to 3 pounders might show up next month when the numbers are up so if u get 1 post it up folks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Aye m8 anybody who can put a rod in the water is welcome to put in a post of how ther getting on I was looking for the 5lb plus specimen but theyll come later so any pollock u catch take a pic and post it. Give u a tip charlie. Go early in the morn as the suns rising then fish an hour or 2 into when the sun's up and again 2 hours before sunset on any mark that holds pollock and thats prime time. U still catch through the day and also through the night, but pollock go mental for 4 hours a day and thats when. Im sure some might disagree but thats mine and a few of my m8s experience. Hope that helps u land a big shore caught clyde pollock!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts