World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Moving up to Scotland in about a years time. Keen to target coalfish. Can they be found around the Edinburgh area, if not, where?
Thanks!

·
Registered
16,791 Posts
Hello! Moving up to Scotland in about a years time. Keen to target coalfish. Can they be found around the Edinburgh area, if not, where?
Thanks!
Coalies just about everywhere in Scotland to plague proportions at times but you’ll need a boat if you want anything of decent size
Edinburgh and surrounding areas are good but as I say nothing big

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Try north berwick(pier) seacliffe( beach) oxroad bay( rocks) also, may be boats out of dunbar.been 20+ yrs since been up there. Was out on a trawler in late eightys for 5 days. Was out of eyemouth. Good trip.pictures some where. Lucky with weather as had beer on board.think i expanded on your post, but area has nice memorys for me.

·
Registered
16,791 Posts
Coalies just about everywhere in Scotland to plague proportions at times but you’ll need a boat if you want anything of decent size
Try north berwick(pier) seacliffe( beach) oxroad bay( rocks) also, may be boats out of dunbar.been 20+ yrs since been up there. Was out on a trawler in late eightys for 5 days. Was out of eyemouth. Good trip.pictures some where. Lucky with weather as had beer on board.think i expanded on your post, but area has nice memorys for me.
Dunbar harbour can be coalie cast after cast
They get annoying at times lol
Always good to save a blank. Back of ocean terminal in leith as well

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Edinburgh and surrounding areas are good but as I say nothing big
When you say nothing big, what kind of size we talkin’? And do you take them on lures or bait?

·
Registered
16,791 Posts
When you say nothing big, what kind of size we talkin’? And do you take them on lures or bait?
Size of your hand, East Lothian you might get them the size of your forearm
Always lure for me
Don’t get me wrong I do bait fish but can’t remember catching coalies in Edinburgh or surrounding area

·
Registered
180 Posts
I think catching anything 3/4 (0.75) lb and above would be considered good. I've had fish up to 1 lb from North Berwick though most would be much smaller. Heard of a 4lb fish being caught from near Torness, other than that I think you're looking at a boat trip.

·
Registered
239 Posts
And if you a lure fishing any of the above venues it usually sorts out a better sized fish. You will unavoidingly hook good sized Polllock while you are at it. The steps down to the reef on the north side of the battlements at Dunbar harbour is worth a try as the light goes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your help so far! As for lure fishing, is it a matter of looking for deeper water and shore jigging from the rocks?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Good size ones down your Eyemouth way yes . Or on boat up arbroath bit further out you will get some decent ones
Your idea of decent coalies out of Arbroath and mine are obviously polar opposites
Shore based results from both club ,region and open events prove very few coalies of size are weighed in and the ones on the boats while some are over the minimum size of 35 cm you would struggle to see few if any over 2 lb , and I mean weighed properly not guessed or fairy stories these are proven facts based on results going back to the early 80s.
There are marks however where you can realistically target them but they can be peas in a pod size wise however

·
Registered
397 Posts
Your idea of decent coalies out of Arbroath and mine are obviously polar opposites
Shore based results from both club ,region and open events prove very few coalies of size are weighed in and the ones on the boats while some are over the minimum size of 35 cm you would struggle to see few if any over 2 lb , and I mean weighed properly not guessed or fairy stories these are proven facts based on results going back to the early 80s.
There are marks however where you can realistically target them but they can be peas in a pod size wise however
I would agree with Kinross Angler, good size ones to be had when out on boats from Arbroath. Both inshore when weather too bad to go out to the Bell Rock and out at the Bell Rock. Worth a trip just to see the lighthouse itself after reading the story of it's construction but back to fishing. Also had good eating sized from boat out of Anstruther.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I have found that it is extremely rare to catch a coalie over 2lb from the shore, in fact I have only ever heard of one instance were that has been achieved.

Anybody know the reasoning behind this, are they just more fond of very deep water?

·
Registered
239 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts