World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<font color='#000000'>Has anybody any info on catching these fish from the surf around Anglesey/Llyn. What rigs/bait to use etc.

Any info would be helpfull. Thanks</font>

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<font color='#000000'>I can&#39;t seem to stop catching coalies at the moment. &nbsp;I am spinning with 30g silver lures or using a one up, one down paternoster with frozen sandeels or slices of mackrel on size 2 to 2/0 hooks. &nbsp;Plenty of fish coming out upto the five pound mark. &nbsp;These fish are from the Isle of Man but the same method would work. &nbsp;Tip put plenty of sequins and beads by the hook (usually to sequins and one bead) but use a stop knot to prevent them sliding up the snood. &nbsp;Hope this helps?</font>

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font color='#000000'>Wherabouts in the Isle of Man are you catching the coalies &#39;seaangler&#39; ? &nbsp;5lb is a nice fish.

In response to the orig question - I have found shallower marks to be better for coalies. &nbsp;Baits can be very localised, but generally lug and mussels work in most places.</font>

·
Registered
23 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Manx Fisher I am catching most of the coalies from Port Erin as you say a shallow venue and the odd trip to Gansey Beach and Port St. Mary. &nbsp;Where are you catching from?</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi Sea Angler.

Ramsey area mostly, but also Douglas. &nbsp;Gonna try PSM over the next couple of months, but also want to try some rock marks.

I have often wondered about fishing Port Erin area but dont seem to find the time - not enough hours in the day / days in the week to fit all my fishing in...

Can you drop me a PM with any Port Erin info you have ? Perhaps we can meet up for a trip.

Cheers</font>

·
Registered
23 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Manx Fisher,
I know what you mean about the hours in the day. &nbsp;I keep trying to get up north for a session on the Cod but never manage it. &nbsp;I will post up some info for fishing the south soon. &nbsp;Maybe we could meet up. &nbsp;You can email direct on [email protected]

Tight lines</font>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<font color='#000080'>Seems like this is the Manx forum&#33; Hi all - new forum looks good.

PSM breakwater is always good for coalies, not sure about about this time of year though is it any good?

I can&#39;t seem to get away from the Whiting - Both East and North East of the Island.</font>

·
Registered
23 Posts
<font color='#000000'>I am finding that the coalies are coming out on bright days coupled with strong spring tides as well &nbsp;I remember just after christmas two of us took over 45 coalies upto 1/2lb and one bass in a spinning session. &nbsp;It seems to have slowed down but have had six out per session upto the 5lb mark but average 3lb+</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#000000'>How do Hondy.

3 manxies in the same place.  What a small world the wibbly wobbly web thingy is.  

I suspect that before long we will have a proliferation of local sites ... good luck lads - i think this site sets the benchmark for you both.

Its looking like I am defo going to have to head south of the fairy bridge for some coalfish action very soon  
</font>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font color='#000080'>Manx Fisher- yes I think you are right, especially at this time of the year when fishing is at a low ebb (as it were) - time to collate the knowlegde gained from the previous year ready for summer

But back on thread.. I would say Coalies aren&#39;t too fussy for the bait type,and as for rig - the ledger is as good as any I find, close in to the egde (e.g. PSM). Sticking with the shallow water theme appears to be the key, although I&#39;m not sure how well they cope with the surf flattiebasher, maybe someone can chip in here?
</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Sorry Flattiebasher, went off on a bit of a tangent there.

Getting back to your original question - only other thing I would add about fishing for coalies is that they are often found at close range, so prehaps lob a 1 Up 1 Down close in with a rolling lead.

Let us know how you get on.</font>

·
Registered
23 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hello manxfisher, hondy & flattiebasher (with apology),

Well alot has been covered and yet on-one has disagreed with each other. So civil its better than most marriages. &nbsp;Close range - yep Shallow water - yep not too fussy just like dogfish - yep.

Happy fishing all tight lines</font>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<font color='#000080'>Sounds fairly conclusive&#33;

Out of interest has anyone caught any coalies from a boat? I mean, you probably can, but in significant numbers?</font>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<font color='#000000'>it wld appear this web thing isnt that big after all&#33;
i am from port st mary and fish port erin fairly regular....how ever for some reason i dont seem to have as much luck as the rest of u&#33; where am i going wrong?.....ive fished psm break water,port erin pier(the small one),castletown pier(behind police station)..as i live way down south here i wld be gratefull for any tips i can get to actualy catch something in this area as twice a wk fishing and not even catching the sun or a cold is quite frustrateing lol.....any tips guys??? bait,rigs,location??..beach or pier not too fussy.</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#000000'>And then there were 4 &#33;&#33;&#33;

Hey Garyth, welcome. &nbsp;

This website is probably the most informative UK site around, and is defo a favourite of mine, but i hope the owners dont mind if i give a little mention to Hondy&#39;s site ... www.manxseafishing.com - has a great forum for manx anglers.

Garyth, in a nut shell - fish PSM breakwater (the outer one): fish from half tide up to high water, drop a queenie bait straight down the side right on the point. &nbsp;It can get crowded, so get there early. &nbsp;A single hook trace (running ledger or paternoster) is all that is needed. &nbsp;Best thing is just to watch the other anglers and copy them.

Email for further info &nbsp;
</font>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<font color='#000080'>Thanks Manx Fisher&#33; I must point out that it&#39;s not quite finished yet but there&#39;s some local knowledge in there which would hopefully be usefull.

Don&#39;t forget Garyth - this is possibly the worst time to catch anything so don&#39;t give up yet, wait until the water warms up a little near summer when the Mackerel are out in force&#33;</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
<font color='#810541'><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote (hondy @ Jan. 29 2004,13:49)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Thanks Manx Fisher&#33;[/b][/quote]

What was it we agreed on, £25 cash  
</font>

·
Registered
23 Posts
<font color='#000000'>Hi all, Welcome garyth,

I turn myback for 30 seconds and miss a load. &nbsp;I am a bit busy this week so will have trouble keeping up. &nbsp;Hondy your site is looking good. &nbsp;Well done. &nbsp;Anyone been fishing in the last couple of days?</font>

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<font color='#000080'>Thanks seaangler, I&#39;m looking forward to seeing your site&#33;
It&#39;s been hard work so far but i&#39;m sure it will be worth it when it&#39;s finished, I promised myself to have it completed by summer.

Couldn&#39;t agree more with Manx Fisher on the queenies point, when they get dumped at the end of the breakwater scoop out the remains and hook them, you are almost guaranteed to catch. &nbsp;
</font>

·
Registered
7 Posts
<font color='#000000'>summer? wots that this is the isle of man remember guys lol
thanks for ur tips though il maybe have a try this wk end.

do u know of any other good marks? beach or rocks etc?</font>

1 - 20 of 80 Posts