World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if any one had any oppinions on converting some coarse fishing feeder/ledger rigs to sea fishing up to me moving down south from yorkshire almost a year ago i did alot of coarse pleasure and match fishing but now i live on the coast i like beach fishing.i think some of the rigs i used to use could be converted ?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Fizz,

The balls in your court on this one, as you know, anything goes in this game. If you don't try you will never achieve.

Please let us know how you got on.

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
There are some people using swim feeders in the sea these days - either with chopped up worms/fish - or a piece of bath sponge soaked in oils and bait attractants.

Also, an old fashioned way (still used I believe) - is a variation on a hair rig. You would use a large cod hook (4/0 etc) on your trace, and then onto the U bend of the large hook, you would fit a small size 1 or 2 hook (this small hook taking the place of the hair). You would bait up the small hook - and then try and catch a bait fish (small whiting etc) The plan would then be to allow the caught bait fish try and struggle free - with the struggling bait fish sending out vibration signals to attract bigger fish, which is hooked on the big hook. I guess this method is one of the few ways you can use a live bait from the shore - as casting kills every thing else except a rag worm.

Don't know if the latter works well or not (read it in a book) but if anyone knows or uses such a method, I would be glad to hear about it.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
I've done the reverse and have started using 'freshwater' tackle and rigs in the sea. These days fish in the sea seem to be getting smaller and fewer and therefore because they have more water to swim in are considerably more difficult to catch than their cousins in a commercial fishery. (Leading Statement N0.304)

I use a 17' commercial fishery float rod (that's what it said in the advert!) and use it for snatching little 'uns (pollack, wrasse and pouting) Great fun and fascinating to see what bait is catching. I choose a deep water rocky mark and chuck in some groundbait (usual stuff from the fishing shop inland mixed with ultrabite and sardine/pilchard oil and chopped up frozen sandeels) The rigs are straight out of 'Improve your Coarse Fishing' and John Wilson's book.

Recently I bought a Shimano Hyperloop heavy feeder (it says it will cast up to 150gms! that's about 5oz!) Off clear beaches I use a method feeder with the above mixture and a 30cm hooklink and size 6 and smaller hooks. Casting short just over the breakers I've ben connecting with pouting and whiting about the same size as those I was catching much further out on the beachcaster! You pays your money etc. etc. I use braid on both rods - helps in the wind and current and the soft action of both rods cushions big fish bites (This is, so far at least, theoretical!!!!!!!!!)

I bought a book on 'Fishing Light in the Sea' and it had pictures of a Pole being used so I think that anything goes. The main difference between Sea and Fresh water usage is the God of Fishing - CONVENTION! (Leading Statement 305) (No one uses tackle like that here!)
The obvious differences are of course currents (you try holding bottom without weights developed to do just that), snags (largely unseen and difficult to avoid because that's where the fish's food lives) In other words there are places and times (winds and tides) where it would be totally inappropriate to use light coarse tackle SO DON'T! Look for suitable places and tides (I now enjoy neap tides for example - things move slower and stay the same for longer!) I bet that a REALLY good specimen hunter would master sea conditions straightaway.

Oh, you may have crayfish in some places in rivers, but the bloody crabs play havoc with light tackle in terms of bites, you keep thinking its a slow take-away bite like you sometimes get with flounders and eels in slow moving shallowish water. Otherwise try freelining with sandeel, King Rag or a nice Peeler. You won't need leads and if you sang up all you lose is a hook.

PS I'm experimenting with Boilies soaked in fish attractant, but that's a secret!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
anything goes inthis game as i said in my first post i used to do one hell of alot of coarse fishing and even if i say so myself i was quite good so like you said most of the methods i used to use would work the idea of say using a 12 metre pole has crossed my mind put then again i may havve had a few pints at the time (haha)but if u dont try u never no. i have made up a few rigs to try but i havent had chance to try them yet but i will post results good or bad hope fully try to hit the beach next weekend ithink its my weekend off work so ill try a couple of things first then see how thy go and see wot tweeks thy need dont wont to try 2 many things at once or you tend to start confusing yourself anyway thats it ive gone on long enough .

V

·
0 Posts
i have in summer time been waist deep in water at hill head with carp rod in hand ,surrounded by bathers ,catching school bass and young smooth hounds in glorious sunshine using the most basic course/freshwater set-up in the form of a running ledger,and have had some of the best basic back to roots fishing ever.i would just like to add ALL the bass went back and none were kept for cat's(i have six)or sold to the takeaway's of portsmouth like some do!

V

·
0 Posts
that goes for ,dogfish(i have a fond spot for doggies)black bream,plaice,flounder,pollack,wrasse,scad(horse mackerel)whiting in fact if it is not big enough it will go back,i have put bass back ten times the size of what i see people in portsmouth keep.time for some one to start enforcing the law.w.d.u.t.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i have used a swimfedder of the boat but found ihad lods of dogs to give it a fair i tryd on adiffrent day still had lots of dogs but all so some good rays will try some diffrent bait in them this year

1 - 8 of 8 Posts